Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Anyone have rabbits AND dogs?

Just curious. I grew up with dogs (beagles at that) and rabbits as pets, but they were all outside and the dogs never bothered the rabbits. Now I have a beagle in the house (about 5 mos old) and was thinking about getting a rabbit as a house pet, too. What do you think? Bad idea? I would NOT let the dog harm the rabbit, but just wondering if it would be just a recipe for disaster.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Dahila,

I am wondering the same thing with cats and rabbits....... It would be nice to find both out, because we might end up getting a dong in 3-4 years, too after hubby is out of the military.....
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM

hopefully helpful

I lived in my boyfriends mom's house for a while and she had 4 cats, a bunny, and a dog. None of witch really cared to pay the slightest bit of attention to the others. In my experience if your dog or cat tends to gentle anyway you shouldn't have a problem.

Side Note: Cat's hunt rabbits so if your looking in to it make sure they can be separated if you little buddy's instinct kicks in.
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

i have rabbits cats and dogs. All of which live together in perfect harmony.
However one of my dogs has a high prey drive and Iwould never trust him alone with the rabbits for a second.
Other than that though the balance at the house is good.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
cat slave

i have a cat and guinea pig and they're friendly. THey love each other and there's never been any issues.....but then again, the cats came after the rodent and they knew it was a family pet
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

MY friend has a Cavalier King Charles and a Lop-eared rabbit. They both get along fine, and are able to run around with each other. I think it can work depending on other factors...
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM

My friend had a bunny and a beagle, and the beagle didn't bother the bunny, although I don't think they were ever allowed out loose together.

Sable absolutely loves the bunnies (and their poop ) Two of the bunnies were raised with Sable from babies, my third bunny I got when she was 8 years old, and although she was never around dogs, she just loves Sable! They touch their noses together, it's really cute. The dog I had growing up (spaniel x border collie) just adored bunnies too and was very gentle.

My dad's shepherds however have a really high prey drive, they will stare at the bunny cages very intently, and will stalk the bunnies as they move around their cages, so the door to the bunny room is always shut to keep those dogs out.

Even though Sable loves the bunnies, I would never leave her alone with them when they are loose, sometimes she doesn't realize she has to be gentle, and if the bunnies are ignoring her, she will paw at them.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM
chronically insane.

My cats sniff my rabbit and my rottie (RIP) was scared of my rabbit so.. as long as you raised your doggy well and it doesn't get frightend by the rabbit they get along fine.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

i know this post is a bit dated but i have a house rabbit, 8 cats and 2 greyhound Xs that all live together without any problems at all, they are all loose in the house (when im in) the cats and the rabbit are always together, the dogs were pups when i got the rabbit so they have all grown up together which is why they all get on so well. the only problem i have now is finding somewhere to sit.

Old July 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM

my rabbit is a giant french lop so my cat doesnt bother it. My cavalier king charles is everyones friend but i wouldnt trust my terrier with any of the smaller animals
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Thumbs down Rabbits and Beagles!!!

You do realize that beagles are rabbit hounds...That is what they were bred to do! Even though I have both dogs and a rabbit, My dog Grace thinks of Phoo as belonging to her family. Of course Phoo is in a cage that is dogproof.
There are so many pets that need homes. I think mixing the two is not the best match you could have. Grace being part collie tried to herd my other rabbit Snuggles when she got out and broke her hind leg trying to bring her to me!:sad:
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a rabbit and a beagle for yrs. The rabbit was the alpha in the relationship because he was there first and met the beagle as a small puppy. They got along very well together. It CAN work!!! (It did take some nerve before I admitted to the vet I had just adopted a beagle, lol)
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I have a friend who owns both a rabbit and a Beagle. I think it really really depends on your pet's personality. Obviously, it's much easier when introducing them when they are babies. It's not impossible but it requires lots of supervision and caution.

I own a kitten and she thinks the bunnies are her best friends. I just got a baby on Sunday and the minute I walked in with him she was at his side wanting to play. Granted she was a bit too hyper for the lil guy but she sat in front of him all day and night to watch him. When she wants to play, she will sit in front of my other bunnies and purr. Then I will let them out and she is all excited and she even goes inside their condo and lays beside them and grooms them. The bunnies certainly don't mind.

I am very careful with the kitten however because I bite could be fatal to a rabbit if it gets infected. I never allow her to bite and I clip all her claws and file them before she can play with the bunnies.

I think it can be done, but with the right precautions as animals don't always know that they can hurt another when playing.
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Of Wing, Paw, & Hoof

Hello. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 bunny in the same house. My little dog and the cat get along fine with the bunny but my lab mix cannot be trusted. I just don't trust the way she watches him when he is loose, that is why she has to be crated during such times. It works out ok for us though. I also have a parrot (african grey) so when he and the bunny get their free time, our lab mix gets crate time or watches TV with my husband in the bedroom. I can use a baby gate to keep her from the bunny as long as I am supervising of course as she will not go near it while I am beside her but I wouldn't trust that on its own.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM

I had a huskey/retriever mix and a rabbit and they got along fine. The dog would just sniff the rabbit whenever we had him out and then ignore him. We also got a couple other dogs after that. Once we went into the room where Bunny's cage was and one of the dogs was half in the cage with him. However, neither hurt the other. I think it just depends on the the dog and the rabbit, raising and training.

Last edited by jaclmickles; November 15th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Contributor

We have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a bunny and they all get along fine Wilbur spends many hours curled up with the dogs he espically loves my one girls big fluffy tail to burrow in.