Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Time to start thinking about getting the boys neutered

I wait until they're in full coat, somewhere between 8 and 10 months, so question is do I have them done together? It seems to make sense to have them both healing at the same time. Anyone have to do 2 together? Anything I should watch out for?

Cindy
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM
-

awww , the big snip snip I never had 2 neutered / spayed at the same time but I think it would be best for you. If they both wear the cone after the surgery , they won't be able to play together.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's much harder to keep an eye on two at once than just one. We always try to stagger surgeries so we only have one in stitches at a time. Much less stressful that way, even though it takes twice as long if you string the surgeries end-to-end. Unfortunately, it would also mean twice as long that they couldn't play together and they wouldn't like that!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:22 AM
-

I've never been in this situation before either but I'd be inclined to have them both done at once.
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
-

I actually would suggest getting them done at once since they will both be clinking heads rather than one having the advantage over the other.

Boys recover much more quickly than do grrrrls ~ as in next day so don't over-worry too much. Ceili & Bridie were hilarious with their "hats" on ~ take advantage of it!
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I had my two done at the same time. The only real difficulty (other than having two cone heads running around smashing into my legs) was keeping the two of them from running around the house diving over furniture and playing rough together, but I suspect that would be a problem regardless.

They did get to keep eachother company at the vet though, and atleast we got it over with all in one shot.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Believe it or not, I've never had to have cones on any of my dogs before. I guess it's likely when I get these guys done so they don't hurt themselves or each other.
We talked about it today and have decided to wait until next summer, they'll be about a year and a half old. They hate heat so if we get them done in June, they'll be less likely to run around after the operation, expecially if I keep the air conditioning off in the house . We did that with our last dog and it worked well, he didn't want to move around for a couple of days because it was hot.....hot to these guys is anything over 15 celcius
Never had any trouble with my previous dogs, they were fine after a couple of days, like what's been said, the males heal quickly.

Cindy
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
-

I've never had an unneutered male in the house for that long Cindy but I have been around unneutered males...ummmm...to put it delicately it's alot of testosterone and I can't say I recommend it..
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll have to play it by ear and see if they start getting aggressive. Yogi was almost 2 when we had him neutered and he was the most sexually aggressive dog we've had but he was like that from just 2 months old and not an aggressive bone in his body otherwise. Baxter and Bentley are both quite mellow that way right now. They wrestle and have their play fights, but that's all, no aggression, no leg lifting in the house and no territorial marking in the yard, so all good signs. If that starts to change they'll go in sooner for sure.

Cindy
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I had Vlad and Oksana both done at the same time. My vet told me it would be easier since they would both be recouping and not try to rough house too much.

I plan on doing the same with my new kitties. And I did mine on my vacation, so I could be home with them, just in case anything happened.
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll likely do the same. I take Fridays as part of my vacation, so we'll probably try to fit it in to a long weekend so I'll be off at least 4 days with them. Long weekend in May might be the best time.

Cindy
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo was neutered at 7 months. The mother of one of the vets where we take our guy bred Spitz for many years. When we took our Eskie in at 16 weeks this particular vet said we should have him neutered at 7 months and at 7 months he was ready. I felt like a pervert checking to see if there was anything to snip under all that fur. With out short-haired Dachshunds it was only all too obvious. I know the Keeshond is the most mild tempered of the Spitz breed with the Eskimo being somewhere in between - perhaps this is why she suggested 7 months. I don't know that would wait as long as 1 1/2 - but I would probably get them done together. The 10 days of tryng to keep them quiet was a joke - I understood this but Elmo did not.