Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old June 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Some saltwater pics.

Sorry about the quality, my camera needed to be charged so it wasn't taking them as clearly as usual.

(Click for larger)

Mushroom coral and a snail.

75g reef tank. It's not much a reef yet 'cause we started out with some very reef unsafe fish and they've just been moved. So we only started stocking it with corals and anemones the other day.

Niger Trigger in our 90g fowlr (fish only with live rock) tank.

I'll get some more pics soon, I just haven't uploaded them all yet.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
-

Striking ! I could sit forever and just stare at salt tanks. I remember doing just that in a wall-to-wall / floor-to-ceiling tank in a restaurant I used to frequent...I know the food was good but, I could never remember a single meal. Only the stunning tank. What a treasure you have there !
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

MBIE, that's so cool! Looks like a lot of maintenance, though. Is it hard to keep healthy?

Here's a stupid question--if you have a saltwater tank, where do you get the salt water? Can you mix it yourself? (Hey, what can I say? hazel knows less about fish even than she knows about cats! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Swift Tribe

lovely!! how long has the tank been set up? what do you supplement with? whats your substrate? got a skimmer running on that? are you part of a fish forum?? you have a fuge? what do you feed your trigger?? whats your livestock?

sorry for all the questions. i keep freshwater and have a rather healthy (HAHA) interest in SW. i thought about taking a stab at a pico coral system to start with using natural sunlight but havent had the time lately. go figure- new puppy, 1yo boy.... yeah i have soooooo much free time!!

hazlerunpack- to answer your question there are a few ways to get water for your saltwater tank. you can mix it with synthetic salt, the fish store can mix it for you and i believe some people actually get their water from the ocean although it is not suggested because of contamination. to mix synthetic salt with purified water (RO/DI is suggested because there are several additives found in well, tap and even just carbon filtered water that is algae food or harmful to your fish and/or inverts) you have to mix it a few days in advance because the temp needs to be adjusted along with aerating the water before adding it to the tank.

was that the answer you were lookign for??

-ash
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Here's a stupid question--if you have a saltwater tank, where do you get the salt water? Can you mix it yourself? (Hey, what can I say? hazel knows less about fish even than she knows about cats! )
Like want4rain said, there's several ways, but I use Instant Ocean Synthetic Salt mix. You mix it with water until you get the correct salinity. Some people use natural marine salt.
I was just at a fish store in Ohio and they have a 10,000g shark tank. One of the employees said they actually have their water shipped in from the Atlantic because it's such a large amount and actually cheaper than mixing salt.

Want4rain, to answer your questions:
The 75g reef tank has been set up for almost 4 months now if I remember correctly. The reason it already seems fairly established is that we happened to get our hands on some extremely high quality live rock at a spectacular saltwater fish store we found a couple of hrs from us. The tank actually never ended up showing any ammonia or nitrites. Lucky for me and my husband because we're extremely impatient.

We suplement with Purple Up, Calcium, and Kent Marine Essential Elements, which contains several things. We also use zooplex periodically to feed the polyps. The anemones we feed normal foods such as krill and silversides by hand.

The substrate is just normal black and white marine sand with a layer of black and white live sand on top.

Yup, there's a skimmer, a 220g Coralife Super Skimmer. Nope, no refugium, unfortunately, skimmer is on the back of the tank. It's ugly, but it works *shrug*. I would like to have one but I'm kind of paranoid about having it in my livingroom if something goes wrong, and this house is already a rental.
In fact I forgot I was filling one of my 125g FW tanks the other day and got "a bit" of water on the floor, so that was bad enough

The trigger eats krill, silversides, pellet food, snails, basically anything he can shred (which is just about everything). There is also a blackedge moray in there with him and a huge yellow tang. The yellow tang was in the reef tank but decided to attack every single fish in there for some reason (including the clowns, dunno what problem he had with them ), which is why we set up a 90g fowlr in the first place.

Livestock in the reef tank is: 1 skunk shrimp, snails, hermits, hover goby, 2 ocellaris clownfish, honeycomb grouper (going in 90g when I get more liverock), dwarf fuzzy lionfish, and an unknown goby (posted everywhere trying to figure him out, no one knows the species).
There's also a scopas tang, Amphiprion ephippium, tomato clown, and fire clownfish in a quarantine tank waiting to go in the 75g.
there's not too many corals in there right now, just a couple clusters of polyps, the mushroom coral. A button polyp and a tiny featherduster popped up on our rock awhile after we added it.

Yup I am a member of a couple fish forums. monsterfishkeepers.com and aquariumboard.com mainly.
I have 8 FW fish tanks set up too right now between 5 and 125g.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's a pic of the hover goby. He sucks sand into his mouth and shoots it out his gills.

Pic of lionfish and grouper, for anyone that can't view the video. The grouper will eventually be a foot long, small compared to many groupers.

Video of lionfish and grouper. They're waiting for breakfast.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

A few random ones

Same one under moonlights.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Cool, I would love to have a saltwater tank someday. The fishies are so much more colourful. A friend of ours has a really large freshwater tank filled with some amazing fish, it surprised me that you could get so many lovely fish from freshwater. He also has this really cool crab tank with brackish water and a thingy that creates mist. I love to visit just to watch the fish and crabs. It's so soothing. Must be alot of work though.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Oddly enough the reef tank probably takes the least maintenence of any of them.
The protein skimmer takes a lot of the bioload off the tank, and other than mixing salt for water changes, which aren't extremely frequent, it's not much work. Most of the "work" goes into feeding the fish and corals and making sure they're healthy, which is more fun to me than work.
The liverock and skimmer are your primary filtration, so the only equipment maintenence really is cleaning the skimmer cup out and maintaining the skimmer itself periodically. We do have a micron filter on there (looks like a pool filter catridge inside) for water clarity, and all you do is bleach the dirty filter and put a new filter in. Not everyone even runs a micron filter, I just think it helps pull very small waste out of the water, so the water is clear and nitrates don't build up.
If you put the initial cost into getting the right equipment for a saltwater tank it shouldn't be hard to maintain at all. Most people run into problems when they cut corners trying to save money on equipment, which has to be made up for in more maintanence to prevent future problems.

The FW tanks on the other hand have nothing like a skimmer to help you out with bioload. The main filtration on FW tanks comes from either hang on back filters, canister filters, or both and those have to be broken down and cleaned frequently, especially if you heavily stock your tanks.
If you have a sump on a tank it does cut down on how many water changes are necessary since it adds water volume, but sumps still have equipment that needs maintanence periodically.
FW and SW ARE the same in that if you spend the initial money on good equipment you will less likely have problems in the long run, which is what makes some people see fishkeeping as more difficult than it has to be.
Nice freshwater planted tanks add a whole other dimension as far as knowledge, maintanence, equipment and cost, so I would even argue that there are similarities between that and a saltwater reef tank.
Look at Sneaky's planted tank pics sometime, there's a huge difference between creating a tank like that and just keeping some fish healthy in a normal tank.

So many people have a misconception that saltwater is difficult in general, or more difficult than freshwater. It's only as difficult as you want to make it.
There are saltwater fish (such as my lionfish) that are very hardy and much more hardy than many freshwater fish. Take wildcaught discus for example, they're much more sensitive than the hardiest saltwater fish.
The average aquarist would have trouble keeping a freshwater stingray alive, whereas they'd probably have a hard time killing 4 stripe damselfish in a salt tank.

You're best bet to keeping a good tank is RESEARCH. Buy the right fish, the right equipment, learn what the needs of your fish, and learn what makes your tank function properly. If all of this is followed fishkeeping should be fun more than anything else.

Sorry if that got a bit lengthy. If you can't tell I'm a bit addicted to this kind of stuff
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Swift Tribe

research and buying the right stuff int he first place.... you can say that again!!

i have a 20h planted with Val, Star Grass, Java Moss, Java Fern, and Dwarf Lily Bulb. live stock are 2 Dwarf Puffers, 4 Botia kubotai (little cramped with them but they were rescues), 4 Otocinclus Catfish, and a bunch of Endlers Livebearers(cant seem to fish them all out).

a 10g planted (my stock tank) with 3 Sparkling Gouramis, 2 Cherry Shrimp and 2 Amano Shrimp.

and a 2.5g planted with a a female crown tail betta (yep, got a new one) who had bloat at my LFS. figured she would have more of a chance to make it if she came home with me as opposed to the little mason jar at the store.

note worthy fish i have kept are 2 Figure 8 Puffers. shipped them to a friend of mine in Duluth MN from Raleigh NC (yep i rock!!). they were pretty cool.

id like to do a 5g or a 10g SW pico some day.... see if im really into it... *coughs* right... im working my way through The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner (what a cool dude!!!) and Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo and Robert M. Fenner... so far i can not imagine SW (post equipment purchasing) being more complicated than my current tank maintenance!!!

HAHAHA to quote- "If you can't tell I'm a bit addicted to this kind of stuff"!!!

-ashley
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM
-

Those are awesome photos.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM

aww

i loves fishes

great pics