Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Help for my dog...

Hello all,

First thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Hopefully someone out there can suggest something that may help.

I have a 13 year old Border Collie who has gone through three surgeries for removal of soft tissue sarcoma (sp?). His last op was the worst leaving us with an extensive bill and over a month at the vet for on going care until he was fit to come home.

Recently he has developed what we believe to be arthritis in his hips. He has been put on Medicam to cut down on the pain.

The latest developement is that it appears that the cancer has moved to his lymphatic system and he has lost the most of the ability in his hind end to move about. This is leaving him pretty much an invaled.

At the suggest of our vet, he will be going on a steroid that will decrease the size of the now inlarged lymphnodes. However, this still leaves the problem of his in ability to move. This also leaves him depressed and not able to get to his water or food when he wants. I have to assist him to get up. But once at his dishes, he eats and drinks. Small plus I guess.

But this all leads to my main point of my thread. Now that he cant walk, how can I get him to go to the bathroom?!? Our vet suggested getting a towel and making a sling and helping him walk around (his front legs are in perfect working order and are very strong). This sling does work, but he refuses to go when taken outside. I am at a loss of what to do. It has been almost 24hrs since he has last releaved himself and our vet can offer us no solution.

I am looking into getting him a dog wheel chair, but that will take another three to five days.

What can I do to get him to pee!

Any suggestions would welcome.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read our thread.

Riley is a good dog and a better friend and deserves better.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
-

Having used a sling myself with my female dog ~ I'm having a hard time picturing how you could use it with a male dog. Doesn't the towel cover his penis ?

He may do better with a harness that goes around is hind quarters:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobil...%20Harness.htm

Try phoning around to your local pet stores to see if they carry them. Good luck and keep us posted!