Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 24th, 2003, 03:07 AM

Bear Face Chihuahua?

I met someone with what she called a "Bear Face" Chihuahua (looks a lot like Mr. Winkle at www.mrwinkle.com ). Does anyone know anything about this particular sub-breed? I can't find anything online on it. Thanks.

Clay Watkins
Pismo Beach, CA
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Senior Contributor

There's really no such thing as a "sub breed." It's either a breed, or it's an all american mutt. Probably a cross between a pug and a Chi...beware people who make up names for mixed breeds! Many unethical people mix two breeds together because they'll look cute, call it something and then charge too much for it. Often these are dogs with a myriad of potential genetic health issues and the result is often sickly expensive dogs.

Petfinders has 1000's of cute small dogs! You can refine your search to look for particular breeds and mixes.

Given the horrifying number of unwanted dogs being slaughtered and thrown in Dumpsters every day by animal shelters, I believe it is unconscionable to intentionally breed more mutts and sell them to uninformed people.

Edit: The very next question I look at on this board refers to a cute mutt with serious medical issues:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&threadid=2169

Old September 24th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Chill out

Geez Louise Carina!

You sound like a very caring person as well as an animal purist, but it seems like you are letting your bitterness over the irresponsibility of makeshift breeders and the uncaring acts of some pet owners poison your perspective. While we all work to encourage pet owners and breeders to act in thoughtful and responsible ways, let us not become so preoccupied with preaching to the world that we neglect the joyful side of animals!

-Clay
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I'm certainly not letting bitterness (I don't feel very bitter) affect my joyfulness about animals! I'm just pointing out some salient facts for anyone who isn't aware that they may be ripped off buying made-up "breeds".

And I've worked in foster/rescue, so believe me I know first hand what goes on in shelters. And not everyone who allows two dogs to have puppies and then sells them is a "breeder" IMHO.

And I DID answer your question, sorta. I said it was possibly a mix between a pug (or other brachycephalic breed) and a Chi. I correctly pointed out rather politely that there really wasn't such a thing as a "sub breed." And so I did a little editorialising - well, this is a public board. Oh - and I directed you to Petfinders, where it's entirely possible you could find a little dog just like you are looking for!

Anyhow I DID provide some info in answer to your question. Nobody else has, so far. You're welcome.
Old September 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Thanks

Carina,
Yes, thank you for the info. And keep having fun. That's what it's all about.

Clay
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes it is!