Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old July 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Pit Bull Comment PLS HELP - Repeat of thread in On Topic area

I posted this comment in the On Topic area as well, but wanted to ensure that I reached all of the pitty people. Please re-post this or forward this anywhere that you feel would reach others to speak out about this. Thank you!

Hi!

I am sitting here watching NESN during a Red Sox rain delay and during the show Globe 10.0 Bob Ryan and Kevin Dupont are discussing the Michael Vick case.

Bob Ryan was talking about how people are really upset about this due to the fact that it involves helpless animals...

Among the chatter of the topic, out of the blue Kevin Dupont comes out and says something to the effect of:

Quote:
the only thing about the Michael Vick case that wouldn't make people cringe is that it involves pit bulls which people do not want to be around.
What kind of bull is that!!!

I nearly choked on my dinner and am just PO'd, ROYALLY!

If you would I have the email addresses of both reporters as well as the link to the NESN feedback comment box.

dupont@globe.com - Kevin Duponts email address

ryan@globe.com - Bob Ryans email address

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/feedback/

I wrote a comment to NESN and then I wrote to Dupont, CC'ing Ryan.

If any of you are moved to do the same... or to pass this on to others that would help send a message that pit bulls do not deserve this type of treatment I would be highly appreciative... as would Chance.

Thank you!
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
-

I have been trying to think of what would be a truly appropriate punishment for people who think and act this way. And I mean truly appropriate ~ there is no sense in matching violence for violence. But, it's hard not to think of retribution for all those innocent lives. What kind of a family and society brought this man up to create this horror as entertainment ?
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Papa D

do you have or know of an audio clip......it would really help in raising an up roar.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
do you have or know of an audio clip......it would really help in raising an up roar.
Yes it would . It's already all over the internet (petition against Vick) but I would really like for people "siding" with him to get hell too.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM

I think that tomorrow they will have todays show up here:

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/pr...lobe_10_point/

Right now it has clips from yesterdays show... and while there is one on Michael Vick, it is not the one with Kevin Dupont.

I am not sure when the clips go up, but it looks like they do hold them on there for at least a week...
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Red face

This is the letter that I sent to him:

Quote:
Good evening,

As I am sitting here waiting for the Red Sox game, I was watching the debate between yourself, Kevin Dupont, and Bob Ryan on 10.0.

You stated something to the effect of ... the only thing that probably will not make people cringe about the Michael Vick case is that it involved pit bull, which people do not want to be around.

While it is true that pit bulls have a bad name due to the disgusting practice of taking these dogs, depriving them of decent care and making them fight for food and their lives. These practices by humans turn good loving dogs into dangerous fighting machines.

The typical pit bull - either American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier or mix including one of the two, are a very intelligent, loyal and loving breed.

Our family has a pit bull as a pet that we rescued from a shelter as a puppy.

He loves his family completely and is so gentle that he sleeps with a teddy bear,

His loving and loyal personality is not a fluke. He was born with the right to be loved.

Although you may not have meant for your comment to come out as it did... It sounded to me like the alleged crime by Michael Vick was not as heinous as it could have been because he abused an undesirable breed of dog anyway... So perhaps it would be more disgusting to you if he was beating, electrocuting and otherwise abusing Spaniels, Poodles and Chihuahuas?

I not only found your comment regarding pit bulls callous, but am disgusted by it.

How could you say such a thing?
Deanna
and this is what he sent back:

Quote:
Deanna -- Though I understand your point and sentiment, and appreciate your writing, I'll stand by my point. If I were to stand on a street corner with a pit bull on leash, I am willing to bet passersby would be repulsed, shocked, and steer clear of said street corner. MOST people are pit pull-phobic. And based on countless news reports, which too often detail the the bloody work of these pets, I don't blame them.
However, I maintain you have a right to find a place in your heart for your pit bull of choice. But frankly, I like my cavalier spaniel much better.
Again, thanks for taking the time to write.

-- kevin
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Lightbulb

Hi!

The podcast was posted today and I listed to it a few times to get the wording more precise.

To hear what he said, go here:

http://graphics.boston.com/sports/ne...e10_071907.mp3

It is Question#7 and is about 3/4 of the way through the podcast. You can fast forward through it once it loads...

As close to his exact words as I can pull from the tape as he kind of stutters/talks fast in parts were, "The only thing that wouldn't revolt people is the whole pit bull thing. You know whenever I even hear the name you say oh ya ya I can't be around it. but what were they doing, they were electrocuting them..."

Take care.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for writing the letter Chances mom!!! what an A$$$ I dont know who these peeps are as i dont get into sports, i do know its all over all of the bully boards but I dont know if theres any organized campaign going on yet... Ive been so iinvolved with the contest I havent had time to read it all but ill try and get some links here.. theres a petition on facebook Ill check it out and get back asap.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

BTW I stand on street corners all the time with a "pit bull' and even in Toronto, most people DONT have a problem...those that do are the ignorant minority.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

ahhh me again. lol.. you know what the problem might be with any of these dorks in the media... if we give them a ton of attention over their assinine comments. they like it..you know it draws more attention to them than they deserve... I mean Don Cherry... think of all the controversial things that guys says.. not about pitties obviously as he has one.. but well you all know the kind of things he says.. so it obviously hasnt hurt his career any... some of these guys like to stir things up to get themselves attention.. like errr MIchael Bryant...! Or even that idiot Worthington.. he was bating us to write him so he could keep the whole thing going and keep us reading his column.. one i had Never read before he started insulting our dogs..
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM

ah, that guy's reply made me so upset.

when i owned my pitbull and took him to petsmart, this nice older lady in her seventies came right up to him and began petting him without even asking if he bites. she told me he was a beautiful pitbull and he calmly stood and wagged his tail at her. Gunner was less than a year old and was completely untrained at that time.

i highly doubt walking in the streets or standing on a corner with a pitbull is going to cause the greater population to be afraid. rather, people are more curious about the breed now and what the man said is just plain stupid.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

link to petition

heres one link....https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...gfighting_nfl2
theres more but itll take a while...
Alot of them have some very graphic images as well as language that are on facebook.. the graphic language doesnt help! but they are facebook discussion groups so more like places for people to vent... anyways, hope this link works.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefasterxxx View Post
ah, that guy's reply made me so upset.

when i owned my pitbull and took him to petsmart, this nice older lady in her seventies came right up to him and began petting him without even asking if he bites. she told me he was a beautiful pitbull and he calmly stood and wagged his tail at her. Gunner was less than a year old and was completely untrained at that time.

i highly doubt walking in the streets or standing on a corner with a pitbull is going to cause the greater population to be afraid. rather, people are more curious about the breed now and what the man said is just plain stupid.
We just did our Belleville walk with approximately 21 pit bulls , well dressed pit bulls but still! LOL and as we walked the whole group down a public trail there was NOT ONE negative reaction! Infact, we passed a wedding and i think they may have included us in the wedding photos as we waved and shouted congratulations..... but again, most were dressed in there party clothes.. lol
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM

congrats on your walk, i wish we had one of those in phoenix. i bet it was an amazing site to see. do you have any pictures from it? i'd love to see all the pitties dressed up. =)

see, guys like him are the ones hurting the breed, not the dogs themselves. by promoting the fear of the breed, he's causing the deaths of many friendly pits.

honestly, i'm more scared of the smaller dogs than the larger ones.
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefasterxxx View Post
congrats on your walk, i wish we had one of those in phoenix. i bet it was an amazing site to see. do you have any pictures from it? i'd love to see all the pitties dressed up. =)

see, guys like him are the ones hurting the breed, not the dogs themselves. by promoting the fear of the breed, he's causing the deaths of many friendly pits.

honestly, i'm more scared of the smaller dogs than the larger ones.
The Belleville walk was amazing but unfortunatley raining so the cameras werent out as much as usual.. what we usually do for the big walks is getting everyone in a row and paste three or so pics together but I have quite a few with a couple of dogs in each.. you dont get the full effect of it though.. its soo cool to look behind you and see masses of bullies and people all enjoying a great walk! The pic of Rocky and Zelda on this thread was taken that day... and Ill try and get some more up here soon, but im rather awkward at posting pics lOl thats why you see some really little ones hahhaah Ill post some in the next few days! Thankyou so much for your supportive words
AND your votes LOL
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1 View Post
The Belleville walk was amazing but unfortunatley raining so the cameras werent out as much as usual.. what we usually do for the big walks is getting everyone in a row and paste three or so pics together but I have quite a few with a couple of dogs in each.. you dont get the full effect of it though.. its soo cool to look behind you and see masses of bullies and people all enjoying a great walk! The pic of Rocky and Zelda on this thread was taken that day... and Ill try and get some more up here soon, but im rather awkward at posting pics lOl thats why you see some really little ones hahhaah Ill post some in the next few days! Thankyou so much for your supportive words
AND your votes LOL
Oops sorry wrong thread, i meant the pics were earlier on in Jasmines thread.
Attached Images

Old July 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM

Cute pic!

It's too bad they need to wear those muzzles there though... :frown:
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

theyre all wearing them. But I couldnt post the rest of he pics.. the sizing thing again. that pretty girl is named Grace Kelly!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

This whole situation makes my blood boil. I cannot even watch the news reports, do you think they would show such graphic images if they were not pit bulls? No, they would be after the public to show there outrage, but then again they are only pit bulls (major sarcasam) so I guess that makes it a little more acceptable. Chances mom you even gave the guy the benefit of maybe the comment came out wrong but this guy actually meant it. I guess he maybe a little more compassionate if he knew that people like Vick would actually kidnap and use his dog and use it as bait. Michael Vick when found guilty should have his contract revoked and given huge fines to be used in rehabilitation of abused dogs and sent to jail. I hope he rots in hell. I hope this actually will make the public aware of how these dogs are made so aggressive because they certainly were not born that way
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:59 AM

mastifflover,

I think you are right about the bait...

I just don't get why such a thing would even pop into his head, never mind that he would actually vocalize it!

To me, the people who can justify dog fighting or come up with excuses as to why to look the other way are almost as bad as those that participate!

Today I was reading an article about a former coach that supports Vick and was quoted as saying something to the effect that he (Vick) made bad decisions because he was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

WOW!

1 - The guy isn't a child. He is an adult.

2 - There is no way that peer pressure... or hanging out with the wrong people would ever even make me consider doing 1/100 of what he did! It's not like the guy was caught speeding... stealing cars... or even knocking off a few banks... What he was doing was completely brutal.

I just don't get it..

and yeah... I have to stop reading about this stuff!