Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Smile Training a Trainer/ Working with animals....

My name is Danielle and I'm an animal sciences student, which qualifies me to assist in a veterinary office, work at a zoo, shelter, wildlife reserve, kennel, etc. I would like to start my own business one day where I do dog (and owner) training, pet sitting, give presentations on animals to schools or community groups, and help people become responsible pet parents. I live in the Fraser Valley in BC. In addition to my schooling I'm also going to be doing fundraising for the World Wildlife Fund and volunteering with the SPCA and Greater Vancouver Zoo. Does anyone have any advice for me about where in my area I could attend seminars, etc on pet care or training, people I could be in touch with who could be mentors to me, anything at all? I am crazy about animals and love my pets and I know my schooling is very thorough, but if there is anything else I could be doing, reading, attending, etc, I would love to know. I want to make sure I get as much experience and education as possible! Thank you!
of his animal" Proverbs 12:10
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want to be a dog trainer you need to obedience train and title at least one dog. Most people won't take you real seriously without your having direct hands on experience. Once you get involved in a training facility or club, you can generally start helping out with classes and actually working.

If you go to infodog (I think, don't have a direct link) there should be listings of training seminars, club shows, obedience trials, like that. Get involved!

Also start reading dog books (and look for seminars by the authors.) Jean Donaldson is a MUST (especially Culture Clash), Pat Miller (one of my dogs & I are photographed in her newest book!), Ian Dunbar, Suzanne Clothier, Patricia McConnell...and look for seminars & workshops given by these authors, too.
Here's a great link for dog books - you can at least browse:
http://www.dogwise.com/

Good luck! It looks like you are very involved already.