Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Learning fast

Saint Bernards?

A friend at work is about to endevour on the quest to find himself a puppy, a saint bernard to be exact, before heading off with his cheque book to a breeder, is there anyone in rescue work knowing of any saint bernards in need of a home. Ontario preferred.
Thanks for your time.
Also any reputable breeders that anyone know of in case the rescues don't turn anything up?.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
-

I just checked out petfinder and there is a couple of them in rescues in Ontario , young ones too.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
-

There's even a St-bernard mixt....beagle
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here are a couple, the first is from a rescue from here.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7981422
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8219227

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; April 13th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Your person should contact the large breed rescues around too. Not all pets get listed on petfinder, and if they get a Saint in, they might keep them in mind before everybody else.
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

There are 2 looking for homes in the north. One wont be ready to go for a while though.
http://www.ontariopetrescue.com/dogs.htm
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Hope they know what they are getting into. My aunt got a saint puppy, and she said she had researched the breed and she could handle it. Today the dog is over 200 lbs, she had to hire someone to come in once a week to wash the thick slobber off the walls, she's unable to keep up with the grooming, so has a monthly grooming appt, and the dog is impossible to walk on a leash because he is so strong, so she can't walk him. Of course because he never gets out and socialized he is becoming very protective of the home. Now she says if she really knew what it would be like, she never would have chosen this breed.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Yep, they get mighty big and drool like a tap

Past research into the breed brought up a little fact that they aren't crazy about small dogs either....so super socialization and some good obedience training will be needed so you don't end up with it attacking little guys.

Cindy
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Owned by Saints

I have 2 Saints and they are actually better with small dogs than with dogs their size. They live with a Toy Poodle and our new addition, a baby Pug.

Grooming isn't really that bad either to me. I do weekly brushing unless they are blowing coat, like now then I do it more often.

I definitely agree about the leash training and socialization. They are a MUST!

Check www.dogsincanada.com They have a list of excellent breeders.

Just to add a properly bred and socialized Saint are a joy to be around!

Last edited by RaYne; April 15th, 2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Rayne you got a new pug?!?! Are there pics somewhere?

x.l.r.8. is this the person who was looking at the newfs? Or do you surround yourself with big dog lovers?
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a good link for info on the breed

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...tbernards.html

I wouldnt call the Dogs in Canada list a place to look for responsible breeders.
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1 View Post

I wouldnt call the Dogs in Canada list a place to look for responsible breeders.
Me neither, I know a few people listed in there and they are borderline millers. There needs to be a better standard
Old April 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
-

there's this one too (in Quebec) http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7981422 she may not be a puppy but she's so cute
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Learning fast

Sable, I have tried to discourage him from such a big dog but he's looking for either a mastiff or a St Bernard size dog, this wouldn't be his first dog/puppy so he's pretty well informed on what he needs to do. However I think on reflection he may end up with a rescue mixed breed with a predominant large breed in the mix rather then a full grown bear .
My first concern was he saw a St bernard puppy on Craiglist and it was only $650 from the breeder. So I had to put a stop to that. Then he started looking at pet finder (he didn't know it existed and never thought of a rescue) so he's into research mode again now.
Prin, we work all day with gods smallest creatures, there's nothing better than going home to a big soft woolie, seems everyone here loves their big dogs, there are a few maltese owners and french bulldogs, but most have BMD's, Coonhound mix's, lab mix's. The lady after the Newfs is the type of person EVERYONE wants for their mother (she's momma to all of us). The joy of working long shifts means lots of days off playing with the dogs. If you had dogs (like this lady did) then the days off seem kind of empty. :sad: I miss my 2 when I'm in the city for the weekend and try not to ring evey hour to see how they are behaving.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Owned by Saints

Actually there is 1 breeder in particular on that list that I would not hesitate to get a puppy from. But I didn't think I was allowed to post their kennel name. So I just posted the site. It's a good starting point, but yeah definitely you need to research the breeders individually. I should have rephrased that there are some excellent breeders on that site.

Prin, Yup a pug. It's hilarious just how small she is compared to the Saints. I didn't get a chance to post pics yesterday so I'll go post some now.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Well a lot of the giant breeds are droolers, but that is just what they do. I always have lots of Mr. Clean erasers on hand they are my best friend they clean it off no problem. Buddy sheds enough for 3 dogs so brushing is a must but he loves it so it is easy. Has your friend checked Trinity of Hope they specialize in Saints and Newf mostly. Big dogs are the biggest cuddlers and yes they need lots of socialization just like any other dog. Neopolitans do not shed but do slobber. Just make sure your friend really does the research. I would never trade my big boy for a smaller model. I love him slobber and all.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Learning fast

The trinity of hope site is exactly where he is looking, although he's leaning to a puredog, he's addicted to petfinder now and can't believe how many great looking muts there are. I keep telling him he only has room in his life for one, he usually has 10-15 highlighted and goes off to do his research on the different mix's. He's slowly refining his criteria and I know he'll get the perfect dog, drool and all.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:59 AM

Rayne, I saw.

Magic erasers... Good to know.

Will your friend post pics when he gets his doggy?