Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

SPCA finds warm homes for freezing kitties (Cape Breton)

This is a story that could have had a bad ending - two kitties were saved from certain death on the streets. They were almost frozen - SPCA staff think people wanted to save the $10 fee required to pay when bringing in a pet.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...ns-frozen.html

Our CTV affiliate had a story about a 5 month old kitten in Halifax who was thrown from a 2nd story window and picked up by a neighbour and brought to a vet (Noah I think they name is, did you see that one Dogastprophe, on ATV?). The kitten - an adorable black cat who the girl who saved him wants to adopt, has a broken leg and maybe much more and alas, is not out of the woods yet!! I see no online story about it though but will keep looking.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

CK,a happy-ending story,I love those
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Helicopter Champion

I saw the story about the two Cape Breton kittens, but did not hear about the other one. Apparently the CB kittens were thrown over the fence at the SPCA compound very early in the morning. Temperature was around -20C and high wind chill. Luckily one of the workers came in earlier than normal and found them. One was frozen into the ice requiring some work to free it.

I'd like to be able to write what I think of the person / people who did this. Unfortunately I cannot describe them without a ranting string of expletives.

@#$%$^$#W%$$#@%^%$#^@%$%$@#%$#
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I read it also in the Montreal Gazette. People can be horrible. Thankfully they even lived - at least they have a chance
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree- they are right some lucky cats as my CB bf would say, lol

I also agree about what I would like to say or do to ppl who hurt and abuse animals!!! (and it is not nice of me!). To quote Natalie Maines (a fav singer of mine, lol) "to those ppl who hurt animal, "I'm not ready to make nice!"
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is the other story - Noah is at a cat shelter and note to moderators, I am not seeking funds - am in no way affiliated with that hospital, merely posting the info as a news item so I hope yuo understand and allow me to post this as info. There are many Haligonians who have offered support so I think Noah will do fine financially!!!!! I wish there was another way to post it but it never became a news item in a newspaper, just our CTV affiliate - this kitty was thrown out of a 2 story house and a young girl saved it and brought it to Dr. Chisholm, a well known Hfx vet.

The story is here:

http://www.atlanticcathospital.ca/

This is his Xray or diagnostic image I should say (I am still of the "old school, lol":
http://www.atlanticcathospital.ca/re...news/noah2.jpg

I should add Noah is having surgery at the Veterinary School in Charlottetown. So please, no money but lots of prayers!!!

I have attached a pict of Noah:
Attached Images

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 16th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Update on Noah (Halifax Kitty Saved from Abusive Home)

Just thought you all would be as thrilled as I to learn that Noah has undergone successful surgery at the Vet College in Charlottetown and is doing very well!!! He will have to stay there for a few days for post op care and physiotherapy - his leg had to be refractured in order to repair the damage that had been caused by someone throwing him from two stories!! However, he is doing well and will be coming back to a new Halifax family, the two young women who saved and rescued him!

Some $4400 was raised for Noah which was more than anyone expected to have and if any is left over, it will be donated to a good animal rescue organization.

So many people did so much for Noah - it was good to see that there are many cat lovers in our city!
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

These happy endings are great ... yay for Noah and for the women who saved him.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

CK,what a beautiful little boy some people are just evil:sad:
Kudos to the Halifaxonians for making up for what these people did to him.
Hopefully the future will hold wonderful things for him
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Another Update on Noah

Noah is back home and is doing very well, running around on the leg tho you can see where it was shaved for surgery - he is playful, happy and a beautiful little cat!!! I had to add it was Dr. Shanon Murphy who was his vet in Hfx tho Dr. Chisholm operates the Cat Hospital and did a lot of the work as well.

Now, many ppl in our city have taken to demanding the police take action against his former owners!!! I can but concur wholeheartedly!!
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM

I'm glad these stories had happy endings.

Quote:
Now, many ppl in our city have taken to demanding the police take action against his former owners!!! I can but concur wholeheartedly!!
Me too.
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I have some good news for everyone here. I came across this why trying to find out who got the other kitten.

The other small black and white cat frozen to the ice, was bought for me by my dad as a valentines day gift and a surprize. I had cried all night for my dad to go to the SPCA first thing in the morning to see if anyone had brought in my other cat, kittie, not finding him dad thought he would bring home a new one.

We named him Jack, for jack frost, and even better that night my cat came back and loved having a friend again. See when my older brother moved out he took his cat, Shebly, which has always been with kittie so he was loney without /his/ big brother around.

Jack is stuck to people and are pets 24/7, He hates being alone. Right now we are babysitting my aunts cat, baby, why she is away and Jack just loves sleeping curled up into baby's long fur and baby /loves/ having jack around. I feel bad for when baby goes home this week cause he will be all alone again.

My older cat which is an outdoor one, Kittie, loves playing with jack and keeping an eye on him why he is home. Jack won't be an outdoor cat, Kittie wouldn't be if I could get him too.

Photos.
Fuffy cat - Baby (We are babysitting him)
Big short haired cat - Kittie (Mine, he is a year and 3 months)
Tiny cat with half a white face - Jack (Frozen to ice as a kitten)

Baby, Jack, Kittie. Sitting on there window watching cars go by.

Baby, Jack, Kittie. Sleeping away in the spare room that they love.

Kittie and Jack, Though since photobucket re-sized it you can't really see Jack curled into kittie, and Baby on my bed one morning.

Kittie and Jack. Same time as the one above, just before Kittie moved a bit.

This story did have a very good ending to it if you ask me. =D
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwwwwwww, that's a great story!! Thanks for the update DestinyLynn - I had to get out the Kleenex reading that!! I am happy you have the kitten!!! And really happy to hear he'll be an indoor kitty!!! That is so much healthier for him!!!
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

DL,thank you for those beautiful pics,just adorable wonderful news for little Jack
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Deterioration of humans

The more I hear about these acts of cruelty to animals, the more I believe that humankind is deteriorating. There are a lot of kind people in the world but there are an incredible number of sadists also. Just drive along a few country roads and see the dogs chained to the small doghouse, freezing in the cold, and so lonely.