Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM

New Kitten & New member

I just discovered this site.
I just got a kitten 4 days ago and have quite a few questions.

First, I have a 6 year old cat that is finicky. Basically she doesn't like anyone but me. How do I get her to warm up to the kitten? Right now Annabel (my cat) is hiding in another room and won't come out. When she does come out and spots Chloe (the kitten) she hisses and runs. Will she come around?

Second, I have found out that Chloe is only just over a month old. All she does is cry. Unless we are holding her she meows constantly. If we are walking she is running, will not sleep in a bed, no matter how many times we put her in a bet she runs and climbs on our bed. We all work during the day so until my older cat warms up to her I have been putting her in our bathroom (fairly large one) during the day with her toys, food, bed and litter box. Problem is that she cries. By the time we get home she is over the edge upset. She has been eating moistened dry cat food, but not really drinking water that much unless I put my fingers in the water part of her bowl and show her. She has been using her litter box regularily and her bowel movements have been normal til today. My boyfriend got home from work and discovered she had diarhea pretty nastily. The bathroom was coated in it and every time she meowed she squirted. I called the vet. Can't get her in for another three days for deworming. Also she had tons of fleas, I have spent two days picking them off her since she is too young to treat.

Help please, I have never had a kitten this small. She is adorable and in such a short time I have grown to love her.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

You need to call the vet again and tell them what is going on if this little baby has the poops that bad she will be dead in three days from deyderation (spelling).

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:07 PM

They had said that I should switch her to a wet cat food since they have more water in it and use a syringe and give her water through it. It just started today.
They aren't sure if it is worms, the food, her stressing from us not being there during the day or what. And the great thing is that I work til 6 and all the clinics around her close at 6 that is why they can't see us till saturday morning.
I am at a loss. She is adorable and I love her tons.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I think your kitty is very stressed out. Do you have some sort of heating bottle (hot water bottle) or something. I would place that under some blankets to give her a cuddly warm spot. Don't lock her in the bathroom - do you have some cleaning supplies in there that she might have gotten into? Your cat will come around - it takes time Especially for a female to adjust to another female. If you leave them alone and let them both run around they should be okay - hissing and meowing is fine, she's uspet that her space has been invaded, she'll understand.

I once had a kitten that had a similar pooping problem she would run around the basement and poop at the same time. Make sure that she has plenty to drink and try to keep her calm. I would call the vet for more information, maybe plan a visit - you're baby is still very young.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM

She's going saturday to the vet to get dewormed. She can't get any shots because she is so young. And she is having separation anxiety. But I think I will allow her to stay out during the day and hope for the best. I was just worried bout the older one being mean and also allowing the older one to come out during the day.

I have made sure to kitty proof the bathroom so she can't get into anything.
she's so cute, but I know she is way too young. But hopefully she will be ok, because this is better conditions than what I got her from. My mother also has her brother, so I am just waiting for her to settle down and then take her for a visit to play with him.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Update

Just thought I would let you know, I took Chloe to the vet and found out she is only 5 weeks old. He checked her out. Did the deworming, and gave this topical flea medication for kittens approx 6 weeks of age. She seems to be a little better. or so I thought till today. Now all of a sudden she is having the runs all over the place. Just letting it go today. Happened three times.
She received the deworming medication two days ago. Could that be the cause of it? Cause other than that she seems fine. Eating, sleeping and playing normally.
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Try putting some rice water in her food. Boil some rice and use the water from that.

5 weeks old is way too young to be away from her mother and littermates, so being alone is causing her a lot of stress.

Your other cat probably doesn't even know what this little thing is, and cats fear what they don't know.

This will just take time. Do not leave this tiny defenseless baby alone with your cat.
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board Maxim1

Quote:
But hopefully she will be ok, because this is better conditions than what I got her from.
What conditions were there?

Fleas can stress out a cat in the worst way, get a flea comb and groom her, get as many off as you can see that the meds havn't effected yet squeezing them in your fingers wont kill them the surface is to soft but they jump quickly so watch out....lol put them on a table and squish with your finger nail covered in tissue , a fleas shell is hard and you will hear it pop sorry to be graffic , kitty will probably love the attention speaking of which your kitty is extrememly young and needs warmth and attention she wants to sleep in your bed for that very reason. I wouldn't give dry food until she was a little older stick with the wet food

As for the other kitty I would keep them apart when you are not at home but would keep all doors open when you are at home to get them used to each other your older kitty will come around eventually , it just takes time
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I have been lucky, my other cat has learned to tolerate this little one. Annabel (the bigger cat) has stopped hissing at her, she will sit with her, sniff her, and stare at her, just won't touch her yet. We had to leave them alone for a few hours together thursday since Chloe had such a fit being put in the bathroom while we were at work.

As for the fleas, we sat here for three days washing, combing and picking her. She hated it and cried and fought nonstop. We got most of them, there was one left when we took her to the vet and gave both the cats a flea treatment that will last a month and we have totally cleaned the apartment.

The conditions of the place we got her from, hmm I shouldn't say horrible, but to me not acceptable. Definately not acceptable to forcibly wean tiny kittens from their mother when they are not ready to, and that's what the lady was doing. While we were there, the runt was trying to nurse and she kept taking him off the mother (my mom took the runt, which is doing better than mine, lol), the mother cat was nothing but skeletal, it was heartbreaking, and all of them full of fleas. I mean she couldn't even tell us how old the kittens were, just that they were over a month, I had to ask the vet to check for me.

But even though this little one has brought total chaos to this apartment, she is adorable and hilarious. I can't wait till she gets a little more self sufficient (tired of doing laundry, lol)
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy

Is there any chance the idiot who gave you the kitten would give up the mother cat too? Sounds like she needs saving as much as the kittens. She would get to spend a little more time with her babies. Then you could get her spayed, fatten her up, and find her a new home, if you couldn't keep her.

In a perfect world...
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Igge, the simplest way to kill fleas is to have a small bowl of water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent in it. Put the flea into the water and it will drown immediately. Without the detergent, the flea will survive a long time. No "pop" sounds! Yeck!!!!!!1
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I would have loved to keep the mother cat, and the other babies, but the lady wanted to keep them.

The fleas seemed to have gotten under control since the medication on thursday. I didn't have a problem killing them. it was just catching them. I would send my boyfriend in for that, lol
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

A flea comb makes it easy. They'll learn to love being combed. I click the comb with my nails and Puss-Puss comes running. We don't have a flea problem but it's great to remove shedding hair.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Sounds like you may have this under control now anyway - but just a thought - can you keep your cat and your mother's together for a few weeks? Being with the litter mate may help some of the panic and clear up the poops if it is stress related.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:19 AM

I would love to keep them together, but unfortunately my mother hasn't gotten hers into the vet yet (not until this friday) so she still is dealing with the fleas and the deworming stuff.
Her stools are slightly wet/formed, but she has calmed down alot. She's really started playing and venturing. But boy is she demanding. She is headstrong and wants what she wants. She is less timid and seems to be getting slightly more independant. But she still doesn't know (like a small child) when it's time to go potty. She is going more on her own, but if we are home and notice that she hasn't gone in a while then we take her and put her in her box, then she will go. She's stopping whining so much and is starting to eat and drink her food on her own without us having to take her to her bowl.

Funny how much she has improved and changed in the last week.

I called the vet just to double check and he said as long as she is drinking and very active with no fever to leave her on the food for another week since it's starting to form a bit. (just in case it was from stress, worms, etc) If the stool doesn't harden by this weekend then to change her. Thanks for all the help and input, I appreciate it greatly.

P.S. I tried the rice water and she loves it.
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Glasslass ......good to know thanks sounds much more pleasent than the "pop".....lol thats the only way I was taught ...lol Learn something new everyday here I love it
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I imagine she's improved so much has lots to do with being more comfortable, fed, and a whole lot more confidence that things are looking up!
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM

I think you are right glasslass, although I am the typical paranoid new mommy. Worried, is she eating enough? Maybe she needs more wet food. Is she sleeping too much? Maybe she's sick. lol I know I will settle down when she grows a bit. Just makes me nervous to have something so little. But she's worth it