Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM

Help, 1st Puppy

I have had a 6 month old pom/poodle for 4 days, I took her for her first vet check and shots yesterday and the Vet said he thinks she has been abused and has a "classic case of kennel syndrome" she is great at home but barks like crazy at every moving thing when I take her out and I thought she was house trained but I have caught her pooping in the house, she drags it into her bed and eats it. (which might explain her bad breath) This is my first dog, up till now I have been a cat person. Any suggestions?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

First, I'm gonna ask where you got the dog from? This may have LOTS to do with whats going on!

Take her out more often and when she goes outdoors praise her and give her a treat.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

"Pom/poodle" sounds like a favoured puppy mill product.

This puppy is only 6 months old, and you've only had her 4 days. Not many dogs can adjust to a new home in that time. Since she is so young, it's hopeful that she can recover from whatever trauma she has experienced.

You must housetrain her and never leave her loose in the house where she can what she is doing.

She is probably panicked when you take her out. She may not ever have seen anything before. You will have to take VERY small steps. Take her just outside your door. If she doesn't bark, give her a treat and take her back in. If she barks, get her attention with a clap or AHAH, and as soon as she stops barking, give a treat.

This is going to take patience and love from you, but it will be worth it.

I suggest you contact a trainer to help you with desensetizing and training her. Ask if the trainer has experience with problem/abused/puppy mill dogs.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Thank you. I got her from a family who didn't have time for her, she was in a kennel (inside) for 10 hours while they were at work and then put in a larger kennel outside untill bed time. They asked if I could do them a favour and take her and I am glad I did, I knew about the kennels but the vet suspects that she was hit too and I am concerned.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

This little girl is lucky and soon she'll know it too. You just need to be patient and give her love and attention. I'd love to see a pix!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh that poor baby!! I just cannot understand - if someone has no time for a dog, why do they get a dog??? Unbelievable!!

So this puppy has been raised in solitary confinement in a state of depriviation. That would have drastic effects on anyone or anything. No wonder she is afraid of things!

You would definitely benefit from the advice of a behaviorist to help this poor little girl. Thank you for taking her in!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats awful! This dog is going to need a lot of time to adjust and yes I agree with LR behavioural issues and training is going to be key.

Lots of love and direction, no scolding..but rewarding of good behaviours and such.

Those awful people!! Are they still 'your friends'
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

What terrible people!

Keep up the good work with her. Let her take it at her own pace, and never scold her or punnish her. Training her can help build up a bond with you and her. You can start with "sit" first by holding a treat above her head and when she sits, say "sit." I wouldn't use any training methods that involve touching her at this stage, as this may frighten her. Take her for walks down quiet streets, and avoid having her petted by children if she is skittish around them or hasn't had any experience with them. Kids, especialy the little ones, tend to run and squeal and not quite know how to pet a dog and can easily frighten a dog who hasn't had a lot of experience with them. Play with her a lot. Tug of war would probably be a good game for you, but I'm not sure. Fetching and chasing are great games, also.

Thank you so much for taking this dog into your home and heart.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Thanks every one. She is a great dog at home and I guess I will have to take it slow and be patient when it comes to taking her out.
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:14 PM

That is so wonderful that you took her in. I realize people work...but I agree with an above post, if you don't have the time, why do that to the animal.
I am so happy she now has someone to love her and to let her love back!!
Good luck, I am sure she will come around once she learns to trust her new world.