Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM

Thumbs up Naughty Beagles - Daddy needs help!!

Hi all,

I'm hoping there is some help, that anyone reading this might be able to offer me. I have 2 beagles that i love very much, my 2 litttle boys. The elder (Boogle) was rescued at 12 weeks from abusive owners and is now 3, and the little one (Waggle) will have his 1st b'day in March.

Overall, they're best buddies, and we have such a wonderful time together, except whe it comes to bed time. They won't sleep outside in their kennel, they have to be inside in the laundry. Boogle wakes up every morning between 5am and 6am, scratching and clawing at the laundry door. All he wants is just to then sleep closer to us.

I've tried so many times to get them to sleep outside, but they play up, bark, claw at the back door and just don't let us have any sleep until they get in. The neighbours get cranky, and I just don't know what to do.

If anyone out there has been in a similiar situation, or can offer any suggestions, I would be eternally grateful. I love my boys with all my heart, but I can't handle their bad sleeping habits. I won't give up on my boys, just need some help.

Thanks for reading
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

What about using a crate for inside the house, so they can sleep inside.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM

The only crate big enough for the boys would be like a childs play pen.

Do you reckon that would work?

Old February 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking more along the lines of a store bought dog kennel.
Something like this, for example, but there are mnay different kinds.
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM

Thanks - much appreciated. I'll give it a crack tomorrow night and see how I go.

Cheers, Juz
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz & Dave View Post
All he wants is just to then sleep closer to us.
I love my boys with all my heart, but I can't handle their bad sleeping habits. I won't give up on my boys, just need some help.
Thanks for reading
And they love you. Wanting to be a part of the pack and sleeping inside the house with the other pack members is a normal thing. I don't think you would find too many of the member on this forum that make the dogs sleep away from them. Why can't they come in and sleep inside the house with the family? If they chew and destroy the house when not supervised crate train them for night sleep.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM

I'm sure they want to be with the other members of their pack at bedtime. You can get really large wire kennels that would be more than big enough for the 2 of them. They would learn that this is their sleeping area, and actually become possessive over it. My dog sleeps in her crate, and all I have to do is say 'time for bed' and she gladly goes in and stays until morning.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM

I really don't mind if the boys sleep inside or outside, it just the scratching on the door really early in the morning, and now the damage he's causing. When I tell them bedtime, they go straight into their beds and go to sleep. That bit I'm really proud of. It's just the morning bit.

Now I have to admit, I'm not too familiar wth crate trianing. Any tips on how to do is as best as possible?

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and on going help.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM
-

Well, firstly I would suggest that you post a question in the General or On Topic section as you are likely to get more answers. And secondly, is there a particular reason why you would need to crate your dawgs in the house ie. destructive behaviour when left unattended, "accidents" versus just letting them sleep where they will?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

First and foremost: Beagles are pack oriented. They eat, work and SLEEP with their pack and bay or howl when seperated from them to call out to them. We had a family in the same situation and they solved it by simply moving the crate into their bedroom so the dogs could hear them breathe and smell them. The fact that they think of you as their pack members is a positive thing and if you remove yourself from their pack, what do they have to listen to you for? By forcing them to sleep together, but apart from you, you are forcing the bond between them to get stronger and you and them to get weaker.