Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Elsa the Crazy Elkhound

I did a search and not much came up here for Elkhound so in case you're unfamiliar with a Norwegian Elkhound, here's Elsa:

She has a Dogster page as well as her own little journal online.
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Very very cute. Looks like she's smiling
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Totally smiling!
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Very cute!
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

whoo hoo finally another Elkhound owner!!! hurray!! I have a cross Elkhound /chow mix. She looks just like an orange elkhound, Your dog is beautiful. I have a couple of questions to ask about the breed if you don't mind. Let me know ok>
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I'll try and answer Elkie questions. This is my 2nd. I got her after my first died at 13. Both females.
I saw your photos, dogcatharmony. Very cute, too. Funny, whenever I see a mix I can always tell if it's got Elkhound in it. The head and body markings must be dominant genes.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

LOL my dog definitley took after her mother. I always get told she looks like an Akita but she is not that big or blocky looking. I have others who spot that she is Elkhound but the orange colouring has them confused.

My first question is about temperment. Are they usually that "suspicious" about strangers? I have had Zoe in obediance but she is extremely "suspicious" of anyone new. if she met you when she was a pup, no matter if she only sees you once a year, you are family. Anybody new she is on the defence. I have done some reading on the breed, and i have been "introducing" new people to her. First I greet them and show that they are OK then i let her sniff but she does not trust. She will not do anything drastic like bite, but she will always keep an eye on the stanger. She is very protective of the children in the family, she almost herds them into a pack and will put herself between them and a stranger if she feels they are coming to close. She knows I am in charge, but she still gives me that look like "are you abosolutly positive that this person is ok?"

She also saved my nephew from being bit by a loose dog. She didn't attack but more rounded him up by nipping at his feet(the loose dog not my nephew) and moving quickly. she never even got in 'biting ' distance of the other dog but had him submitting quickly to her nips of the feet. Once the dog had submitted and ran off she sniffed my nephew and then came up to me looking for praise.
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Elkhound ramblings...

Yup, I get the Akita comments too. They're both spitzes and share the same shape tail but that's where it ends. Akitas are very different. I also get asked if she's a German Shepherd or Husky mix.

From what I've read, Norwegian Elkhounds are very fond of people, and that has been my experience. The only problem is mine have been TOO fond, as in jumping on them, throwing themselves at their feet, etc. They're 50lb dogs that think they're about 10lbs when greeting people which is why I keep her close around little kids because she'll knock them over in her excitement.

They are VERY independent, VERY stubborn, VERY fearless and VERY dominant. They were bred to run ahead and hunt and encircle large game like moose and keep it there until the hunter caught up and killed it. They would take turns engaging the animal, risking the antlers. My experience is they love to chase anything that moves but won't harm anything unless in danger. I've had both corner a cat then cry because it stopped running, even poking to prompt it to start running again.

Around other dogs, they'll challenge for alpha position. It can be either violent or subtle, but they will do it. Both of mine whenever they entered a place with another dog simply assumed alpha position. I don't see this at dog parks though for some reason, just indoors.

I've read they're hard to train and that's kinda true. House training was easy in both my situations, though. They're very clean dogs so not only are they eager to potty outside but if you have a yard they'll usually poop as far from the house as possible. They do need some firm discipline since they're so headstrong. We rescued Elsa so she needed some firm work initially because she had no discipline and almost no training where she was before. All dogs will reluctantly assume alpha role if they don't have a leader. This is especially true with Elkhounds so you have to be strong and stern or else they'll blow you off like some bratty kid saying, "you're not the boss of me!"

Ok, I've rambled too much. To answer you specifically, no, Elkies are not normally suspicious of people, although they'll bark (and sound scary) when someone approaches the house. Herding I've never seen but I have no doubt if in danger she would take on an attacker like you describe, be it man or animal. I lost the link but I saw online before a home video that an old woman took of her Elkie challenging and scaring off a huge bear that approached them.

I honestly don't know anything about Chows, so maybe you need to also ask a Chow owner or read Chow info, too.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks for the reply, I have read up on Chow chows also. I think that is why she has a very suspicious nature. From what i have read both breeds have a "people/family" nature but from what I have read they say they are both suspicious breeds. That is why I was so happy to see someone with an Elkhound. I have tried to talk to the people that had her, she was part of a litter that was a mistake breeding. The male Chow jumped a fence and impregnated the female Elkhound that was in heat. They live not far from me, but because she was a "mistake" they are not eager to speak to me. From what i have seen of the female, she is friendly but to a point. I know nothing of the father, I do see him from time to time walking by but once again the people do not speak to me.

I have so many people comment on how different of a dog she is. She is very expressive both facially and vocally. She totally respects me.....that is a whole story in itself, she was a little hellion to train. Just from reading about Elkies I myself have fallen in love with the breed, and I never have met anyone with any experience with them. I also get asked if she is German shepard or Husky also. They sure are one of a kind!
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I'd be curious to read where you saw that Elkhounds are suspicious. Maybe of other animals, but not people from what I've read and experienced. They can be aloof at times but it comes from being easily distracted by a scent or little movement and if engrossed in that, you might as well not even be there as far as they're concerned. I've learned that when outside, eye contact is usually necessary to get them to focus on you. Unfortunately because of this, I would never recommend letting one off leash in an open area.

I've read they have the widest range of produceable sounds. My last one had an extensive vocabulary, with specific sounds for specific things. Elsa hasn't shown the same talent of inventing specific sounds, but she knows a lot of human words (most of which are food related).
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Live well, laugh often

Gorgeous dog . Welcome to the forum .
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Thank you!