Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 15th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Use a mister to cool the dogs off

I have 3 outdoor dogs and it's been right around 100 degrees here lately. We set up a mister using PVC pipe and hooked it up to a timer so it comes on for the daily. We attached it to a cheap piece of plywood and made what looks like a porch. They really love it!! The go under there and it really helps. One of the dogs is an Alaskan Malamute and must weigh about 110 now. Believe me it is inexpensive and really a great way to cool my guys down. (All 3 are males).

I feel so bad for the neighbor's dogs they only have a small house with no front or back to it and it doesn't help with the heat. If you're going to have a pet I believe you should be a responsible owner.
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:16 AM

My dogs have great shade trees, and in the heat of the day, i hose them down. The boy dog, Micah, LOVES water; His sister, Bella, hates it. But it's necessary. I also put ice cubes in their water buckets.

About your neighbor's dogs: I would call the police. Putting animals out in direct sunlight is cruelty. Last summer, a dog owner in my mother's neighborhood had their doberman in a small fence, in direct sunlight, and no shade. He looked absolutely miserable. We called the cops and they sent an officer out to take a look. The next day...the dog had 2 water buckets from which to drink, and a tarp for shade! You can do something about it without the owner even knowing it was you. Sneaky, yes, but do it for the dogs. They can't do it for themselves.
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto what Beth said - let the humane society know about a dog with no shade...they might just need to be educated.

My dogs have a big "dog compound" when we're at work, all shade trees, and two plastic wading pools - $11.00 US from K-Mart. If it's really a hot one, they stay inside where it's air conditioned. They're spoiled. I love the mister idea!
Old July 30th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Yeah, it's so funny to see dogs in wading pools! My mom's dog LOVES hers. She'll jump in and lay down, or splash around. We make games for her, like putting rocks on the bottom, and she dunks her head in and pulls the rocks out with her mouth. Its a blast to watch. My mother has spoiled that dog...to an unbelievable extent!