Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Arrow what to expect?

I'm taking my kittens... 1 female 5month old.. and my almost 4 month old boy kitten...to get fixed this morning... what should i expect? ... they're my first set of cats so i'm nervous too!! i'm not sure how they're going to act after the surgery or what to expect....
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Don't expect any litters of kittens-thankfully...LOL

I am so glad when responsible people have their cats and dogs fixed. There are so many wonderful needy pets in shelters we don't need any more. Now if only the humans could follow the same rules with their kids..Oops another topic...Woody
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM

This what I experienced

Funny I took my female cat in to the vets a week ago to day. When I brought her home the next day. The first thing I did was I left the crate open and left it where she could use it for her bed (It helped to keep her from wanting to jump up to higher levels to sleep). 10 miniutes after she got home I called the vets,(don't be afraid to call the vet that is why they are there)because she was stumbling around and her back end was dropping. The vet said she is still alittle dazed from the anasetic,and her stiches may be pulling when she walks. She mainly slept for the first 2 days. Then I recived the best advice from one of the members on this site here. Keep them from stairs for 24-48 hours, keep fresh water out for them, and don't pick them up (if they have stiches) this may really hurt, and just keep a close eye on them. When you bring them home from the vets the vet should give you a list of do's don'ts and what to watch for. Ask the Vet when you can start feeding them again, because my sugested to give very small portions because she may gorge since she has not eaten in a long time. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Just remember the only dumb question is the one not ask.
Other wise just relax you have done the best thing for the both of them and yourself. If anything comes up that you are not sure of call the vet because like people you kittens may respond diffrently to the anestetic. It is normal to be nervous, I was too....Okay I cried......but I got over it quick.....
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I was very upset when Connor went to get fixed! Mind you, I was for Briggs too! I cried after dropping them both off. It's major surgey for these little guys. But they are in great hands. They both came home the same day; our vet feels that they will feel much more comfortable recuperating at home with loved ones.

It's important that the cats stay away from stairs; while they are coming out of the anesthetics it can be dangerous for them to be near the stairs. Find an area that you will be in frequently and if they have a bed, bring them there. They will look 'sickly' - by that I mean glassy eyed, wobbly, disoriented. If you feel uncomfortable with the situation don't hesitate to call the vet.
It's possible that they might not frequent the bathroom like before - for the first couple days at least simply because it might be painful. They will be just fine!!!
Thank you for having for pets spayed and neutered!!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Your kittens should be perfectly fine the next day. Kittens recover remarkably well and very rapidly.

As has been stated, don't be alarmed if they act dopey or stumble a bit or refuse food.

Just keep an eye on their incisions to make sure there is no swelling, heat, or oozing.

Good for you for being so responsible. I wish everyone would do this!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Since I will be taking Tucker in to get his *dudes* fixed in 3 weeks, and since this topic is going I want to ask 2 questions:

1. Is the surgery major for a male kitten? I heard the female is worse off.

2. Should I worry about his little buddy (Clark), who is 8 weeks old right now, bothering him at all?
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

It's still major for the boys. They are cut open and have pieces removed too. Connor was very mellow for the first couple of days. They can't really jump that well - still puts strain on the area. It was recommended to me that you don't pick them up at all - that causes strain too.

I think that Tucker will tell Clark when to back off if he's had enough. They should be fine.
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Thanks, it will be sweet revenge for Clark, as Tucker has been roughing up the little guy since I brought him home Sunday. All in play for the most part, but I am sure the little guy can't wait until he is at least close to the same size.
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

no problem - I would suggest that if you guys have any questions just write them down and take them to the vet... hopefully they have the time to answer them.
They usually (mine did at least) talk to you before they hand the pet over and just give you a paper to tell you how to care for the animal. Good luck!
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM

What about a dog?

I have the same question, only I am taking my puppy in to get spayed. Whats the recovery like in this situation?
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

The only thing I remember about when Puss was spayed was that we locked the doggie door to keep her inside for a few days. Didn't want her climbing all over the patio cover which she thinks is her personal gym. I was amazed at how rapidly she healed and she was back to her usual self in no time! No change in personality whatever!

I've had more experience with the neutering. Maybe small dogs are easier? I don't know. I remember when I picked up Den-Den. The vet said she normally advised people to keep them calm, etc. etc. for a time, but that Den-Den hadn't been doing that there! Every time they checked on him, he'd flip over and present his tummy for a tickle and would squirm in excitement. He didn't even seem to notice the surgery. At home, we just avoided the fetch-type games and tug-of-war. He seemed content to just lay in his papa's lap in the recliner and sleep.

Be sure to ask for the number to call after-hours if you should have any concerns. They will give you antibiotics to give them too.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Animal Lover!!

I was so upset when I took Sades in I cried and felt SO bad for leaving her there!!! Especially cuz she hates strangers. When I picked her up she was a little dopy, but not bad, she had some water when she got home, and ate a little bit. I attempted to keep her calm as well and from not jumping. However I went to check on my laundry (I lived in a small apt) and when I came back she wasn't in he bed, and I was frantic, well I did find her - she was on top of my kitchen cabinets!!! It was one of her favorite spots. I got her down, and was so worried she ripped her stiches, but she was 100% fine.
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Spaying in both cats and dogs tends to be more major as the surgery involves going into the abdominal cavity. Muscles are seperated in order to get down in there so they need some time to heal back together as well.
In cats neutering (or castration, orchidectomy - whathaveyou) is a fairly simple proceedure as generally an incision is made in each side of the scrotum, the testicle is pushed through that incision and one of several methods is used to tie off the blood supply and the testicle is removed. There are no sutures in this case.
With a male dog an incision is made between the penis and scrotum, the testicles are pushed gently (boy are they glad they are asleep for that eh?) one by one up through that incision and are tied off and removed. The skin is then sutured shut. Still is "easier" than a spay as no muscles are affected. However you must watch in larger or "more developed/mature" dogs as if there is some post operative bleeding then the blood can collect in the scrotum causing clots that can be sore and irritating and if large enough may have to be removed. If they are smaller clots the body will just reabsorb them.
My personal experience with a young male cat is once the drug "hangover" has passed they act like nothing happened. Females tend to be a bit sore for a couple of days but get over it astonishingly quickly.
Good for everyone that is responsible enough to do this!
Michelle
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:42 AM

thanks!!

thanks everyone for the advice.. my kitten pearl was fixed.. my lil boy was too small..so he has to go back in about month and a half... they got shots and all of that though... she seems ok.. not tipsy or dopey..just sleeping a lot.. and she licks her wound..which i am scared of because i don't want her to remove her stiches ... i give her food tomorrow morning as well as main killers they gave me.. she's doing better then i though tho.. thanks every one!
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:35 AM

I noticed mine was doing that as well,so I would try to distact her. But she seemed so insistant on grooming her self and that was exactly what she was doing. Because all around the stiches her belly was stained with an iodine colour, as well the vet bathed her befor surgery. So I just mined how long she liked the stiched area it was as much as the rest of herself. I check her a couple of times a day still and the stiches are not becoming lose or look fraied. I'm happy to hear all are doing well. The vet did mention if she does start chewing at the stiches there is a cone. Something to keep in mind.