Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh Catt thats wonderful See Jane you got friends there already and you don't know it!

You're a midwife *hats off to you* it's a very very wonderful thing you're doing!

Slicker brushes work well BUT not for a first grooming to get tangles out, they will hurt and pull. Start in a small section and use a paddle brush, they almost look like our human hair brushes but they are wire bristles tipped off with plastic so as not to hurt.

From the mix, it sounds like you have a big fur coat there (giggles) and it will take some time getting used to grooming.

Nipping can be very typical of border collies. Have you noticed that she doesn't like to have you stare into her eyes and is she nipping at heels mostly?
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

The slicker brush is indispensible for grooming a poodle. I don't know about a GSD, but am very familiar with the slicker. It's good for working out mats (very gradually and gently), removing loose hair, even getting hair off upholstery! (Poodle doesn't shed; cat does.) It can be very painful if you make contact with the skin. I would suggest using something different to brush out the coat, then just finish off with the slicker to fluff or remove loosened hair.
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't read all of the posts, so this may have been suggested before, but let her take this at her own speed. If she doesn't want to come into your house, leave the door open and put her food just inside the door. Have treats inside for her to eat when she comes inside. Lead her in on a leash, but if she doesn't want to come in, let her be. If you need to put her inside, take her kennel out, get her inside it, and pick it up and move it inside. Also, try keeping her only in one room, preferably a spare room that is not used a lot that is close to the door. That can be her special place where she can go if frightened.
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I know plenty of GOOD dog owners who have dogs that spend lots of time in an outdoor kennel. So long as the important stuff isn't neglected, she should be fine.

By important stuff, I mean time with the family, training, socializing, things like that.

Yes, it would be wonderful if she could spend evenings in the house with you. If your t.v. and stuff are in a room in the basement, that is just fine.

As far as grooming goes, find yourself a big bristle brush. It will get the hair off, but it will take a bit longer. A rake is going to be uncomfortable for a dog not used to being groomed, much like the slicker. Once you get her used to being groomed, then you can get out the big guns.
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Talking Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Fairplay. Great store, wish I had gone there before Petland!! The crates were tonnes cheaper. I got a rubber mitt on advice. Very gentle, not too effective but I will be able to give her the idea. I also bought a rake for later. Also got a retractable leash for the open park.
Lady at the store advised whistle training for "come" and said that after a couple of weeks I should go to the off leash and let her go. Whaddya think?
Also said to squirt lemon in her mouth for the nipping. Loud "ouch" first and then the lemon if she doesn't settle down. I have been doing the loud ouch, giving her toys to play with, teaching her about go fetch and if she doesn't play without biting then I walk away. Not possible to do at the park though.
Again, thank you, this is a great resource.
I hope I am an online helper in a few years so I can give back, you have been invaluable.
Jane
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of "Fairplay". Should I be jealous?
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohh yesss Glassy...you should be jealous!! LOL Its a family owned business here in Calgary, and it just sells pet supplies...NO pets at all!! They are really friendly and knowledgeable! I go there all the time!!! They know Brick well!!!

I wouldn't take her to an off leash right away, let her get used to you and the kids and your house and yard. She has to have trust in YOU before you can be sure she will come back when you called!!! She also needs to have some basic obedience too, for everyone's safety, including hers!! If you can, I would get her obedience lessons right away....and maybe the private ones will be your best bet since Lindy has a lot of issues!! The lady's name is Jennifer, and her company is called "Dog Gone Crazy", her # is 516-3212. She was even REALLY helpful on the phone prior to me agreeing to lessons....that is the reason I went with her and not anyone else. I called her, told her some issues we were having with Brick, and she gave me a lot of pointers that really helped, so we signed up!! She is coming again on Thurs!!

Some dogs you can never take to an off leash area, and some shouldn't be there even though their owners think they should!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Uh oh it was pet store madness! Thats great stuff! You know I am going to keep bugging you for pictures until you post some.

So did the lady have the baby? Guess not, we wouldn't be hearing from you so soon
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:45 PM

No baby yet!

I am guessing she will get serious about labour tonight when it cools off a little.
I don't have a digital camera! otherwise I would send a pic asap.
She is a pretty dog.
Off to Home Depot as the gate latch just decided to break!! Arghhh!
I am really not liking the biting!!!!!!!!
Jane
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay can u explain what you mean by biting and nipping behaviour

When does it happen and such?

Is it a growl then a snap or a happy jumpy silly dog nipping in play?

Either way I know it's annoying but there's different ways to treat different types of nippy behaviour.

I know you're getting that fence fixed, but the sooner the better as keeping the dog tied up is going to only increase the anxiety and encourage nipping as well.

Geeze if we only had one hundred hands and could be all over the place at the same time with limited resources everything would be so much easier.

Ahhhh
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:04 PM

Hi,
It is nipping in play. She never growls just jumps all over like a crazy thing nipping at arms and then down behind and at the backs of calves. Her butt wiggling and head tossing all over the place. I don't think she knows that she doesn't have baby teeth anymore. I try to redirect the play but she sometimes seems p.o'd about this and then really goes to town. I did try the lemon juice and she didn't nip for the remainder of that play session. But on our walk (3rd of the day!!!) she got nippy after playing with a dog she met. She was playing with the dog, poor thing was 9 and pretty patient with my big silly puppy. Lindy was jumping with the dog in the same way she wants to play with me. She jumped on the dog and then ran back to me and jumped and nipped me. Sometimes it really hurts! She has only broken skin with more of a scratch than a puncture.
The fence is fixed she is off leash in the back yard when I am home. I have only been teathering her when I am away for short periods. She is a digger. And I am not confident of the fence at the back if she were to dig. I have a not used anymore sand box and have redirected her to that and she willingly uses it. She even went there when she was corrected for an attempt at the lawn.
Jane
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think what you have here is a dog that is estatic that someone is actually paying attention to her. She's learning her social skills now rather then when she was a young puppy.

With the nipping and jumping does she bark also. This is all typical collie behaviour. The nipping is instinct in a lot of ways, trying to herd you so to speak. They don't know why they're doing it, they just 'do it'. Then there is the fact of socially she doesn't know what is expected from her in this new 'heaven' she is now calling 'home'. Her life before you, could have been quite traumatic and antisocial.

What you need to do when she is nipping and jumping and barking at you is to make like a statue. Fold your arms in front of you, make NO eye contact, turn your back on her. She jumps, turn away and fold your arms not looking at her. BE very still! It's no fun to play with something that isn't responding to her.

When she calms down resume what you were doing. Get a ball and throw it, give a toy or anything like that.

If she starts again, return to your 'statue' pose, keep still. Teach your entire family this. It's important to completely ignore her when she's behaving this way, no eye contact, no touching, no voice commands NOTHING!

She'll get the hint eventually.

p.s.
I hope the lady has a very smooth delivery and that she and baby are healthy and strong.
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:59 PM

Hey,
The doula hugs to a midwife . I really know what you are saying "inconsistent schedule" - I am there with you in the same boat. Just think of this whole process of adjusting the dog to your house and your life as of the labour. It is a hard work, and it is sometimes frustraiting and sometimes you feel like you can't go any further but you can do it and it all worth it. And just like in the labour you have to take it one little step at a time. Just remember this process is as hard for your dog as it is for you. So... support her just the way you would support a mom in the labour ( exept of the breathing maybe )
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Update

Catt31: Thanks for the lead on a trainer. I will call her. The nipping in play is not getting better. I am trying my darndest to distract her and teach her an appropriate way to play. She is starting to get the concept of fetch. But she gets excited and starts the nipping. I use one hand to play fetch and hold the lemon juice in the other hand. I use lots of praise with the play hand and when she starts to nip I show her the lemon. She does not like lemon juice. ps just so you know I only squirt it in her mouth when I have to, NEVER her face, lemon juice stings. Mostly I squirt it on the bottle(one of those lemon shaped Realemon bottles) and when she is nipping give her the lemon hand. Seems to be working a bit.
Luba: HaHaHaHa!! okay YOU try and stand like a statue when a dog is nipping at your ankles!!! Maybe if I was wearing pants and not shorts. It doesn't usually hurt but I dare anyone not to squirm!!!
Lindy came in the house this morning after breakfast. I have been feeding her in the house. Had a sniff around, sat with me for a couple of minutes and then went to the back door to be let out again.
I was away most of yesterday with the labouring mom, but was able to be home to take her for a walk and feed her fortunately. We had a good play last night when I got home, she wasn't interested in a walk, so I put her to bed with a kong in her crate outside. Will work on moving her in as she gets more comfortable with inside.
Thanks for all of your help.
Going for our walk now before it gets too hot!
Jane

Last edited by Freyja; July 19th, 2004 at 09:03 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

No problem!!! Anything I can do to help!! Even just to talk to her on the phone for pointers will be helpful!! Brick nips/nibbles when he is all hyper and spazzy while playing, I just say "ouch" and he usually stops. If he doesn't, then I ignore him and walk away. It sounds like Lindy is a bit more intense on it eh?? Keep at it with the lemon juice, it seems to be working!! You're doing a fantastic job...don't give up on her!! She will (and is already) starting to come around!!! Good job!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I know how hard it is to stand still Freya I have a herding dog and they do it constantly, esp when pups. But it works. A couple nips then they usually stop. The herding breeds do it out of instinct from their background, dont' you know you're a sheep But standing still is the easiest way to curb that behaviour.

I'm delighted Lindy ate inside woo hoo!! Thats great stuff. See, there is progress even when you don't think there is some, look at that how wonderful that is!
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Angry Urgh!!!!

We just had a big thunderstorm. Lindy knew it was coming and she asked to come in the house. Which is great!!! So I brought the crate downstairs and set up to watch a movie. She was excited and jumping around then lay down behind the sofa for 3.2 seconds. Then got up and without any warning, no sniffing, no circling turned around and peed on the carpet again!!!!! I gave her a firm no, but too late! ARGH!!! I marched her outside and then as it was still thundering she came back in and I watched her like a hawk. She started sniffing around so back outside and after standing in the rain (fortunately it had started to let up) and asking her to "do her thing" she finally took a crap. Is this peeing a dominance thing??? ARGGGGGGGHHHH!
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What a storm eh?? Holy crapola!!! And now its sunny!!! Mother nature is in a foul mood today!!!

It sounds like you did the right thing by taking her outside after she peed, and then again when she started sniffing. You may want to treat that pee spot with vinegar and water (or something stronger...someone else may have a better remedy), as once she smells pee there, she will always pee there!!

Maybe she is peeing out of fear?? Did she appear scared during the storm? I wouldn't think it is out of domination, but I'm no expert in that area!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Frustrating!

I don't think it was fear, she seemed pretty happy to be inside. She wanted to play at first. That is her kind of play. "Let's bite at mummy's hands and calves!!!"
We had a great walk after the storm. She is walking soooooo well on leash, no pulling, sits on command at busy sidewalks, doesn't shy when crossing the busy road. But when it comes to playing she just gets too rough and wants to nip and jump. It's no fun!!!
J
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just don't think she understands what to do to be honest with you. The only thing I can suggest is reaffirm how 'wonderful' it is when she does this outside, with a lot of praise.

When she does it indoor, don't interrupt her just wait until she is done, take her outside immediately.

She may have wanted to go but was afraid from the storm coming. Who knows how many times she was left alone and outdoors in a horrible storm.

If you can keep her on the leash when she first comes in for a little while, that may help

Again, ignore the nipping....statue my girl statue yourself. AND when she stops the behaviour then give her attention.