Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Question Adding a kitten to a home with a cat

My cat (kitten - 4months old) Tucker (orange male tabby) is very playfull, energetic, nutty (see my other posts). He is also very cuddly, and I would imagine lonely when I am at work. My fiancee Mom's cat recently had kittens (a month ago I think). We are thinking of taking one of the male kittens into my home, so Tucker has a buddy, playmate.

My question is this - Is it generally an easy transition to add a kitten into a home where there is already one? I want to know (if possible) if Tucker might get jealous, or might reject a new kitten. Maybe attack it? Maybe he'll love the addition. I don't know how cats tend to react to stuff like that. Obviously when I picked him up from the Windsor HS he was in there with about 10 other kittens.

Once again, any input from experience would be super!

Thanks in advance.
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

You should have no problem introducing a playmate to Tucker! He is still a baby and would love another kitty to join him in trashing your house.

Get a kitten a little younger than Tucker, but not too much younger or he may accidentally hurt it. Try and choose a kitten that has a calm personality and is not fearful or overly shy. Put the new kitten by itself in a room until it gets it's bearings and feels comfortable. This will not take long at that age - maybe a day or so.

Take a towel and alternate rubbing Tucker and new kitty with it, so their scents are interchanged.

Then you can open the door and let the new kitten come out on it's own, or let Tucker go into the room. There might be a few hisses, but toss down some toys for them to play with, or some treats and they should be best friends in no time.

The biggest mistake people make when adding cats to the home is to bring the new cat in and plunk it down in the middle of house. The new cat is usually very frightened, and the resident cat feels invaded and rightfully so. When this happens, it can take a long time to get the cats together.

But as I said, it's a million times easier with kittens! Let us know!!
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Smile

Thanks again LR. You've helped me out a lot, I appreciate it!

I assume they'd use the same litter box once the new one is ready to be let out and mingle? Also, can the cats share food dishes? With Tucker coming off the kitten food a few months earlier than the new one.

I am not for sure going to go ahead with this, but if so, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

YW

You are going to need two litter boxes. When kittens need to "go", they need to go NOW, and if the litterbox is occupied, one might choose to go elsewhere.

Quote:
With Tucker coming off the kitten food a few months earlier than the new one.
You don't mean to get a kitten a couple months younger than Tucker? That would make the new kitten 8 weeks old. Much too young.
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:00 PM

These kittens are prob 4 weeks old right now. That is too young you are saying?
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe she said that Tucker is 4 months and her fiancee's mom's kittens are 4 weeks?
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM

My cat Tucker is 4 months. The kittens right now are about 4 weeks old. So....obvioulsy I'd have to wait until they 8 0r 9 weeks. If this is not a good thing to do, then I won't.
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

OH sorry I missed that part. I thought the kitten was coming from the shelter.

By the time these kittens are 8 weeks old, Tucker will be 5 months. If Tucker were an an adult cat, the kitten might be fine, but since he is only a kitten himself, he could very well hurt a tiny and fragile kitten with overly rough play.

I would get him a companion at least 12 weeks old.

I hope your fiancee's mom gets her cat spayed!
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:16 PM

I hope so. She has a farm house and gets the whole *let's drop of our cats here* treatment by those stupid people referenced to in another post.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Question Update

OK: Update

The kittens are ready to go soon. I think I want to give Tucker a buddy, even though Mr. *New kitty's name here* is young. The kitten has not seen a vet at all up to this point, and just started eating hard kitten food.

What should I do?
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

If you are determined to bring an 8 week kitten as a friend for Tucker, the first thing is a vet visit. These kittens could have worms, fleas or other parasites.

You will have to very closely supervise Tucker with the kitten, because he could hurt it badly without even meaning to. You will have to separate them when no one is home and at feeding time, and I would do this until the kitten is old enough to defend itself - as I said, about 12 weeks at least.

Tucker may be fine with the kitten, but male kittens his age tend to be very rough in play, and 8 week old kittens are very fragile.

Is anyone home at your house during the day?
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:58 AM

No, no one is home during the day. My girlfriend (soon to be fiancee, so I just refer to her as that. ) does not live with me as of yet. So, when I'm at work, Tucker has the house to himself.
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, o.k. I'm just thinking of a tiny kitten alone in a room all day. It's going to be very lonely.
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:25 PM

When I brought Tucker home, he was alone in the house himself, and everything went well. I would probably have to lock the new kitten in a room by himself while I am not home right?
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Tucker now has a playmate.

Well, I brought home a new kitten yesterday. Male. Smoky white colour, with black nose, ears and tail.

Tucker seems to take to him good. He plays rough though, but the little one fights back sometimes too.

I have the new kitten closed in a room on his own, with food, water and litter box. Looks like he has a cold, as one eyes is a little puffy, and has goo around it, and he sneezes a bit too. Tucker was the same when I brought him home too.

So, hopefully everything works out.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

He sounds very cute!

He needs a vet visit. Sounds like he has a respiratory illness, and can give it to Tucker. He might also have worms or other parasites.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I will be getting the new guy into the vet as soon as I can.