Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM

Bailey again!

Ok guys, I apologize, I feel like I am jsut FULL of questions lately!
THis kind of relates to the barking issues I brought up, but not really.....
When anyone comes to the door Bailey goes ballistic!! she barks, growls and launches at the screen door! I cant even seem to get her attention enough to distract her most of the time. I *dont think* she would hurt anyone and she has never been the slightest aggresive with us, but this is driving me crazy, and is kind of scary I dont know if its a fear thing, or being "over protective"........ on walks she occasionally has let out a little growl at people who approach, but not like at the door. because of that, I feel like she prob wasnt very well socialized wiht poeple before we got her - do you think its both because of that? and what should I do??
Thanks so much - you guys are great eventhough Im probably driving you crazy!
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

You aren't driving us crazy. Its normal for people to have questions.

Is your dog dominant? Who has the upper paw? If it is her, she might feel that she has to protect you. It is also her "territory" and she feels she has to protect it. My dog is like that to. On walks he's OK except for some dog aggression but if the doorbell rings, he's crazy!

Have someone come over who knows about the training, and keep her on a leash. When she starts to lunge, keep her under control, let her bark, but no lunging. She should remain fairly calm, except for barking a bit. When she is clam, give her a treat, let the person in, but ignore the dog. It should catch on.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM

Im honestly not sure who has the "upper paw" in this I do things to try to let her know I am the "top dog" like not feeding them until after we eat and then takign the bowl away (with our older dog we used to leave it out so he could come and go *bad mommy*) but she does also sleep on our bed, at the foot...... What else shoudl I be doing to make sure I am the dominant one? and do I have to make her sleep on the floor, or can I jsut do other things?? I have jsut found her a used crate and cleaned it and sanitized it so we are jsut starting with that also incase that matters or helps......
Thanks!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM

Hi Kari, It sounds like Bailey is unsure of who the leader is in your relationship. She'll be fine once she understands that you have control over the situations that bring up insecurity in her.

Here are some wonderful trainers links.

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~may/BEHAV

http://www.k9webs.com/patscott/articles.htm
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:08 PM

Thanks- those article help alot! I see a few things that we do right and wrong
I wish I could start over with her now! we have been allowing her on the couch, and while we dont mind it as long as she is lying down, it is not goign to be accepted at my grandmas house when we visit and Bailey isnt going to understand the "there, but not here" stuff! unfortunately Im sure its goign to be harder to "unlearn" now!
also, like I said we allow her to sleep at the foot of our bed - but can we go through this "teaching her whos the boss" and still allow her up there?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It might be confusing for your dog if you allow her up there whenever, and don't let her up on some. Keep her off the couches and beds unless you tell her an "UP!!" command. Only then should she jump up.

Don't let her sleep on the bed either. A nice dog bed on the floor will work nicely.

You sound like you are doing the right thing with the food. Keep it up!
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Chocolate

sitting on furniture is a privilege (ain't that right, deerclan? )

you have the right to take that privilege away if the animal abuses it.

for me, a stern "off" works. at first, it had to include pushing/pulling them off along with the command. now they understand.