Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

View Poll Results: Do you think that the chances of finding my dog are futile?
Yes, give it up. 0 0%
Maybe, after a couple weeks your chances are not so good 1 9.09%
No, never stop looking until you have him at your side again. 10 90.91%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Some cities still have pounds... They pick up the strays and put them in there...
Yep, this is exactly what our pound does. It's a part of the municipal government, funded by tax dollars to deal with animal control and welfare issues (pets, livestock) in our area. The people who work there are employees of the city. Having dealt with this organization more than once before, I have problems believing that they are lining their pockets by "selling" dogs (as some are suggesting here) or euthanizing them for kicks. I feel bad for them that they are being slammed on this site by people who have absolutely no knowledge beyond one side of this one story.

They adopt out strays when no one comes to claim them, or euthanize them if they deem them to not be good candidates for adoption (as happened here). Whether that was a good decision or not, none of us could possibly know. All the info on the pound and how it's run is on the city's website. It's too bad that Mayhem's owner didn't check into all of this when he went missing. If he'd been neutered, he'd have been tatooed, and the city would have been able to contact the owners. Same if he'd been wearing his city tags. Not that I'm saying it's the owner's fault, it's all sad.

Nanaimo also has an SPCA branch. The two organizations in the past have not exactly gotten along, and the city government has declined to help the SPCA financially for years now.

Last edited by nansel; November 9th, 2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: didn't sound right
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansel
I have problems believing that they are lining their pockets by "selling" dogs (as some are suggesting here) or euthanizing them for kicks. I feel bad for them that they are being slammed on this site by people who have absolutely no knowledge beyond one side of this one story.

They adopt out strays when no one comes to claim them, or euthanize them if they deem them to not be good candidates for adoption (as happened here). Whether that was a good decision or not, none of us could possibly know. All the info on the pound and how it's run is on the city's website. It's too bad that Mayhem's owner didn't check into all of this when he went missing. If he'd been neutered, he'd have been tatooed, and the city would have been able to contact the owners. Same if he'd been wearing his city tags. Not that I'm saying it's the owner's fault, it's all sad.
I don't see anyone suggesting that people euthanize for kicks or actually sell dogs at the Nanaimo pound. This specific story doesn't make sense and it is a reality that people take other people's dogs for breeding. It appears the pound could have contacted the owner because they were notified that the dog was missing.
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

missing

Some pounds also sell the strays to labs, a despicible practice and unless you are employed at such a place its a very well kept secret.
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a problem with this whole story,it just seems too unbelievable.
If it is true I am sorry for the poor pup and the owner,but I know nothing about Nanaimo,their pound or SPCA.
Beautiful Mayhem
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet
Some pounds also sell the strays to labs
Ya I was just reading that on this site.http://www.goodpooch.com/BSL/cdnbsl.htm If you scroll down to the light purple box it mentions it in there.

Being a cat person I didn't realize how far the descrimination was going with dog breeds. Here's another quote from that same site.

Quote:
Nanaimo:

'Vicious' dogs are required to be muzzled when in public, and behind a barrier on the owner's property at all times. 'Pit Bulls', American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or a cross of one of the aforementioned breeds are "restricted" and automatically considered vicious unless registered with the CKC. Dogs that have passed the AKC's Canine Good Citizen test are not automatically restricted or considered "vicious".

[We do hope Nanaimo becomes a bit more patriotic, and recognizes the
CKC's Canine Good Neighbour test in the near future.]
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Recourse?

I am sorry that it has been so long since my last posting.....this has been really hard on me.
Does the pound have to tell me what vet euthanized him?
Do they have to tell me when his body was sent to the dump?
Do they have to keep detailed records of all the animals that pass through there?
Is there anything else that I need to know before I persue this further?
Please help me, I don't want Mayhem to have died in vain.
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Either way your beautiful Mayhem died way too young.
I would pester the pound until they give you some answers.
I am sure they keep track of each dog euthanized.
I am also hoping they have enough compassion to realize you are mourning your dog and will be forthright with you.
It all seems very confusing,if he has been euthanized,you'll have to live with that:sad:you'll have no closure if you suspect he is alive somewhere.

Last edited by chico2; November 11th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Queen

I agree with everything Chico2 has said.

It will be difficult to ask questions and think clearly when you are upset. Perhaps it would be helpful to write out what you think happened and then the questions that you need answered. If they have done something against their own rules you may get vague answers or even rudeness. Maybe someone you know could help or even call and ask a few questions as an unrelated enquiry, like what happens to the animals after they are euthanized? The city website didn't appear to have much information about how the pound is run but you might want keep that information handy. Keep a record of who you talk to and when.
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Also,if Mayhem has been euthanized,it is possible he was identified as a Pit-Bull:sad: (at first glance,my untrained eye saw a Pit-Bull),he was not neutered,wore no tags and had an obvious problem with his leg and might have resisted capture,a recipe for disaster
I hope you can get to the truth,whatever it might be
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM
-

If the city pound does not answer questions to your satisfation I would contact a lawyer for advice. Also Global T.V. quite often will investigate stories like this. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:32 AM
-

Any luck yet?
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM

OMG! I am just seeing this! This is awful. Oh gosh...I am so sorry to hear what you and your pup have endured. I am surprised too to find these answers so "vague". I would most certainly inquire more. You owe it to you and your pup to find out what exactly happened. And Nanaimo just isn't that big...why wouldn't they hold that pup for you if you had contacted them? There are pieces of info missing....dig...dig more. I once had a ferret go missing when I was out of town and my friend was taking care of him. She was checking with the spca EVERY day by phone and they kept saying "no, he isn't here". One day....a few days into the search, she happened to be driving by there so she went into the SPCA to look this time rather than call. Low and behold there was my ferret!! He had been there for THREE DAYS!! A ferret...the only ferret in the entire place and the idiots on the phone couldn't even bother to look. So I guess my point is sometimes the communication between staff members and what goes on within these facilities isn't the greatest. They had vaccinated my ferret too (normal procedure) which almost killed him cuz he was soooo allergic to vaccines plus they charged my friend all the fees to pick him up and the shots. I stormed back in there upon my return and made them refund me the entire bill. Be strong and dig...you have the right to know what happened to your dog. And do it now...not later....staff changes are huge at those places so best to find out now. Goodluck and pls keep us updated.
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM

All I want is closure

Hello to all of you.
I just wanted to say thank-you to all of you. You have all had insightful points that have helped me keep my head in order and not make any rash descions.....I truely do appreciate it.
I have recieved another phone call from a man saying that his old neighbor came by with my dog (he was absolutely positive) asking if it was his. He said no, but told the man that he didn't mind keeping him until he saw an ad or some posters. The neighbor said that he would keep trying to find the owner. The caller told me that Mayhem HAD a collar and a leash on him. I am not sure if the neighbor put them on him or not. In any case the caller never saw my dog again.
He also told me that this was only a couple of weeks ago.......do you all think that maybe his concept of time is off, or is there a chance that my dog is still out there?
I am going to ask the pound to view their log book of incoming dogs (possibly euthanized dogs)
I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again.
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for giving us an update,not what I was hoping to hear,but still..
I can understand you wanting closure,want to know what happened to your dog.
You must be heartbroken,hopefully you'll have an answer soon,if he was euthanized or not,the shelter owes you as much,or if he was sold they should tell you to whom,since selling him was a mistake.Good Luck to you and Mayhem
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
Queen

Thank you for the update. I think ANYTHING is possible so I'd continue to keep an open mind to all possibilities. I really hope you do find Mayhem in the end or at the very least get the closure of knowing what actually happened to him. Good luck.
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Retriever Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Another thing,is not $300 a little steep for a shelter-dog?Or is that the norm?
In Ottawa it is $260 and $315 for a puppy or small dog. This includes a whole bunch of stuff though that perhaps is not included at other shelters.. like microchip, spay/neuter voucher, first 6-8 weeks of health insurance, etc etc.
(see http://www.ottawahumane.ca/fees.html).
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Retriever Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitavallillee View Post
I am sorry that it has been so long since my last posting.....this has been really hard on me.
Does the pound have to tell me what vet euthanized him?
Do they have to tell me when his body was sent to the dump?
Do they have to keep detailed records of all the animals that pass through there?
Is there anything else that I need to know before I persue this further?
Please help me, I don't want Mayhem to have died in vain.
I would pursue this if I were you - at very least to get some closure and make sure it doesn't happen to some other unsuspecting pet owner. We have a lost cat right now and I'm going every 2 days to visit the municipal pound (which is adjoined physically to the humane society). They give 3 days before having to euthanize or adopt it out. They have a binder called "euthanized before time" in addition to their "found" and "lost reports" binders.

So, at very least I think it would be reasonable for them to be checking the lost reports before euthanizing! And yes, they would likely have to keep a record of euthanasias as well.

Definitely put in writing what information you are looking for and ask for a copy of their policies or rules in such a situation. Keep it business-like and don't presume wrong doing until you actually have evidence since if it gets to the legal stage they could accuse of you of slander if you're pointing fingers without anything solid to go on. Not to mention that it could be possible that the facts from the neighbours aren't right and there may have been some innocent mistake.

Good luck and sorry for your loss...

Please let us know what happens
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitavallillee
He also told me that this was only a couple of weeks ago.......do you all think that maybe his concept of time is off, or is there a chance that my dog is still out there? I am going to ask the pound to view their log book of incoming dogs (possibly euthanized dogs)
I will keep you all posted.
Do you have an update for us?
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I'm was so sad to hear your story.
I hope this story has helped others decide to get their pets spayed or neutered and to have them TAGGED, tattoed or have chips implanted. It's a small price to pay to protect your beloved pet from such a fate