Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I know I'm going to have to change foods

So since I brought Angie home (Std. Poodle pup) she's been through and gotten tired of Chicken Soup for Puppy Lover's Soul and California Naturals Lamb & Rice puppy formula. She now won't eat either--but will eat the Chicken Soup brand when she gets hungry (she ate it at 11:30 last night.)

I know, I should switch her to BARF, but I like to have food on the floor for her at all times, she's a growing girl after all.
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Have you tried Merrick? I don't think many dogs turn it away.
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I know alot of people on this site are furious with Solid Gold for changing their Wolf King ingredients, but have you thought of Solid Gold's Just a Wee Bit? It's got a high-ish level of protein for a pup, without being dangerously high (like Evo)...I know Buster absolutely ADORED it (but he couldn't digest it). Plus it's a different meat source than what you'll regularly find as RAW meat to feed (therefor giving you a good variety of meats)

Just a Wee Bit Adult (bison)

Bison | Salmon Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Dried Chicory Root | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Crude Protein, Min 28%
Crude Fat, Min 18%
Crude Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
380 kcal/cup

I imagine if you feed RAW that you'll be feeding mostly chicken, turkey and beef, right? I'd recomend a food that has fish and venison meats to supplement your RAW.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I'll look at Merrick, and the others next week.

I think I won't try any 35# bags again for a while. The last 5# have been torture for both of us. She goes though moods when she spits out dog biscuits, tho.

Doesn't look bad, tho, and has plenty of energy and stamina. So, for now, I'm not worrying.

Edit: Too bad she got tired of the CA Naturals, tho. I rather liked the energy level it gave her. Maybe I'll get some samples of other varieties.

Last edited by Angies Man; November 25th, 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I have one picky eater and she flips out over Canidae Lamb and Rice. I've had Sophie for almost 5 years now and switched to Canidae a few months ago. I've never seen her finish her food until now.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
I know alot of people on this site are furious with Solid Gold for changing their Wolf King ingredients, but have you thought of Solid Gold's Just a Wee Bit? It's got a high-ish level of protein for a pup, without being dangerously high (like Evo)...I know Buster absolutely ADORED it (but he couldn't digest it). Plus it's a different meat source than what you'll regularly find as RAW meat to feed (therefor giving you a good variety of meats)

Just a Wee Bit Adult (bison)

Bison | Salmon Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Dried Chicory Root | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Crude Protein, Min 28%
Crude Fat, Min 18%
Crude Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
380 kcal/cup

I imagine if you feed RAW that you'll be feeding mostly chicken, turkey and beef, right? I'd recomend a food that has fish and venison meats to supplement your RAW.
Oh, did the Just a Wee Bit stay the same? I was so mad when I heard they changed Wolf King I just assumed they changed all of them. I would supplement with it as a treat once in a while, but stopped as soon as I heard of a formula change...

I'd put in another recommendation for Merrick. I feed my three girls Merrick, and one of them is unbelievably picky. Honestly, I'd make her extra lean ground meat with rice, and she'd turn her nose up at it. She didn't take to Merrick right away, but it's been over a year now and she still hasn't gotten sick of it. She doesn't always eat it as soon as I put it down, but she will and has actually turned up birthday cake for her Merrick.

My other two get Merrick canned mixed in and it helps to keep variety for them (I really don't like feeding them the same thing every day since they don't have any allergies), plus they get some homecooked meals. I really love the effect Merrick has had on them - their coat, energy, etc., and I still can't believe my picky eater eats it.
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM

No the wee bit changed too, but we assume it has less grains than the WK, because of the higher protein and kcal/cup... But both were pretty tasty (according to my doggies).

I agree with the merrick though. And if you wet the merrick it makes a sort of sauce...

Or Fromm has gravy now... maybe she just needs gravy.