Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Felidae and dandruff?

I have to say I'm completely shocked. I have had my cats on Felidae Cat and Kitten formula dry for about 10 weeks now and I noticed a fair amount of dandruff on Petunia last night. Her coat is also a little more dull than normal, oily almost. So I checked my other 3 cats and sure enough, they ALL have dandruff and oily/dull coats. What is going on? Nothing else has changed in their diet, they get Evo canned once a day and have been for at least 5 months. I just went over the ingredient list and I'm stumped as to why this could be. I am assuming it is food related since they all have it. They're all up to date on their shots and worming and are in good health otherwise. I just bought a new 20 lb bag so they'll have to be on it for another few weeks at least, but I guess I'll be switching them to another food, any ideas what I should switch them to? BTW, my dogs are on Canidae Lamb and Rice and their coats are beautiful. I'm so diappointed, I thought I was feeding my cats the best food Here is the list of ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Old November 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any answers for you (sorry), but I feed my 2 cats Wellness (lite formula dry) and a variety of canned. they get canned food once a day, at night. they are both very soft & shiny.
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM

They're missing omega 3's, IMO... The supplement I use says it's ok for kitties... http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/biofats.htm
I'd give it a try (or if you have another easily accessible fish oil supplement go for that).
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM

On the package it says balanced omega 6 and 3 fatty acids. I am really hesitant to add any kind of oils to their food because I caused pancreatitis in one of my cats once before by doing that. The fat level of this food is already at 20% which is on the higher range of fat levels for cat food, and their coats seem a bit greasy which makes me think they may be getting too much fat? Maybe I'm wrong.....
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM

The dandruff tells me otherwise though.

20% fat is pretty normal- Innova's formulas are 20% and up, Wellness's formulas are at 19%....

If you don't want to just add fatty acids, you can try adding a fishy food. Like this one:
http://www.omhpet.com/cats/wellness_...ryCatSup5Adult
(it might still have menadione in it though, because for some reason companies seem to listen and remove it from dog food but not from cat food)

Or this one (but might aggravate any allergies that are present):
http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...3125SsM121960E

Or you can feed a fishy wet food along with the dry. Merrick doesn't have a dry cat food yet, but they have great fishy canned ones:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the great info Prin! I thought dandruff in pets was caused by oily flakes on the skin as in humans? I am going to check out what Global has tomorrow. I think I'll add another dry food to the Felidae and see what happens. Or maybe I'll switch them over to the Felidae Platinum and see if they do better on that.
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I thought dandruff was either super dry skin or sometimes caused by a fungus (in humans anyway). All I know is after taking my doggies off the salmon food, Jemma had bad 'ruff all over and with the salmon oil, within days it stopped.

Global's supposed to get timberwolf organics too, but the kitty version is pretty comparable to the Felidae, IMO, when it comes to fish oils (maybe a bit more...).
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I didn't know Global was going to get TO!!!!! Is it for real? That would be my #1 choice for my doggies but I figured it would be a very long time before I could get my hands on any. I think I am going to switch my kitties to Felidae Platinum for a while and see how that goes, then I'll probably add a fishy food to it. I did a thorough check over of the gang last night and also noticed some ear gunk in 2 of them. They haven't had this in a very long time so I'm guessing it's also maybe food related? They get Revolution every month so I know it's not mites. I have mixed dry foods for them in the past and they seem to like the variety. I'm going to go with a fishy canned food for now too since my local Global will no longer carry Evo (or any other Innova product) He says they are too inconsistent with their pricing and it makes it impossible for him to provide Innova products at a reasonable price for his customers. I suppose I could go to the West Island and buy cases of it there, but I don't think my guys would complain if I got them some fishy canned food instead. Also, what do you think about feeding canned salmon a few times a week?
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Boss-lady!

I have my animals on Felidae and Canidae, too. The cat has no fur issues, but the dogs still have a bit of dandruff (although it's better since switching to Canidae). We mix canned salmon into the dogs' kibble a couple of times a week and it seems to really help, so the canned salmon or a fishy canned cat food should do the trick(if it's not an allergy issue). Good luck!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad

Last edited by Skryker; November 11th, 2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: didn't completely read the post above this one
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Yeah, I had received this email from the Ontario TO person a couple weeks ago:
Quote:
I just received notice that all the Global /Ryan's Pet Food Store
have permission to now carry the Timberwolf Organics Line in their
stores. I will be getting in contact with these stores by the middle
of next week I will email you on which ones will be carrying the
products and when they will be expecting a delivery. I know that
there are 3 Global pet Foods Stores within Quebec city.
(but the only stores are around western Montreal, not Qc city...)
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Both of my cats are on Felidae and they have been for a couple of months and their fur and energy is great. But I also give them Merricks wet (sometimes I'll give them something else like DVP or innova) but they like the Merricks the best. I think the Felidae and Merricks wet makes a great combo.

A couple of the stores in my area just started carrying the Timberwolf Organics. The cat food seems to be really similar to the Felidae in ingredients it's just a lot more expensive. IMO I would stick with the Felidae but like Prin suggested supplement or try some Merrick's wet food!