Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Cleaning dem pearly whites

At puppy class today, the vet touched upon the subject of dental care and how it is so important to keep your pooch's teeth clean. Personally, I don't know of anyone who cleans their dog's teeth with a toothbrush and paste...but I am willing to try it. What do people do to keep their dog's teeth clean? And if you do use toothpaste, what brand do you recommend?
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Performance Spaniels

We have a random petsmart kit.. brush, paste, and finger brush for puppies..
I recommend mint and not meat flavour personally... Cider loves the mint like it is the greatest thing ever, and then her breath smells good for a while.. versus smelling like well meaty dog food after being brushed.

We only do it like once a month though.. In some periods once in 6 months actually...

We give raw marrow bones..

I brushed last week though and she has one canine that's a little tartery and a few back teeth as well.. seems she doesn't chew in a way that those get cleaned...

It was suggested to me to try raw meaty bones as she might clean more teeth with them, but I'm not sure where to shop yet.. or if other people have better suggestions.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
It was suggested to me to try raw meaty bones as she might clean more teeth with them, but I'm not sure where to shop yet.. or if other people have better suggestions.
When we did our short-lived raw stint, we just got chicken (bone and skin on) from the grocery store (bulk was our friend!). We brought it home, took the skin off, and froze them in baggies. Byron LOOOOVED the chicken drumsticks, and he got a good crunch going on with dem bones. We have switched him to Canidae All Life Stages, but once in a while he gets a treat or two of raw.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM

I don't brush... If they get plaque, I pick it off, but otherwise I don't touch their teethies (for the purpose of cleaning them).
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Performance Spaniels

On like a back molar, can you 'pick it off' ?

I've been scrubbing that canine trying to get it off...
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Yeah... I go up near the gumline (NEAR!!) and pick it off.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We brush with paste every day. C.E.T. poultry is the dogs' favorite, but I like what the mint does for their breath They love it--it's like a treat in and of itself. We make it part of the daily groom... The brushes are color-coded so each dog knows which brush to use It's easier to reach the back molars if you use a narrow-handled toothbrush--we've tried the fatter-handled ones and they're easier to grip, but not as easy to use all the way in the back of the dogs' mouth.
Attached Images

Old October 25th, 2006, 12:12 AM
-

HRP....I love your doggy toothbrush holder. Are those ordinary adult toothbrushes?

I try to brush my dog's teeth every other day but sometimes forget. They love the taste of the chicken toothpastebut all they want to do is chew the toothbrush. Ao, actually, I don't even know if I brush them effectively.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM

I highly recommend the poultry flavor toothpaste, both cats and dogs love it! Mint . . . not so much. But it does make their breath smell nicer.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
HRP....I love your doggy toothbrush holder. Are those ordinary adult toothbrushes?
We get them through the vet, but they are very similar in size to ordinary adult toothbrushes. They have fairly soft bristles, though, and are flat across the top. I don't think you can buy them that plain for humans anymore--nowadays there are all those tapered and zigzag cuts...gimicks IMO--unless, of course, you get your toothbrushes through the vet!

Quote:
They love the taste of the chicken toothpastebut all they want to do is chew the toothbrush. Ao, actually, I don't even know if I brush them effectively.
I've found that with my two 'chewers', if I gently fold the lip under the forward side teeth on the side I want to brush the back teeth on, it keeps the dog from chewing (doesn't want to bite itself). This might only work with dogs like setters, danes, and other large-jowled dogs, though--you need some lips to work with

I forget to brush their teeth once in a while, but usually they remind me if I'm having a memory lapse... the other day I was well on my way to forgetting to groom them at all, but when I walked in the kitchen, two of the Pack were sitting in front of the counter, staring at the toothbrush cup... Good thing they have memories! Their ol' ma sure doesn't!
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack
We get them through the vet, but they are very similar in size to ordinary adult toothbrushes. They have fairly soft bristles, though, and are flat across the top. I don't think you can buy them that plain for humans anymore--nowadays there are all those tapered and zigzag cuts...gimicks IMO--unless, of course, you get your toothbrushes through the vet!
They look like the "no name" brands in the supermarkets or the dollar stores. I know you have to have extra soft bristles though. I'll have to take a closer look.

Quote:
I've found that with my two 'chewers', if I gently fold the lip under the forward side teeth on the side I want to brush the back teeth on, it keeps the dog from chewing (doesn't want to bite itself). This might only work with dogs like setters, danes, and other large-jowled dogs, though--you need some lips to work with
Thanks for the tip. My lab has loose lips.

Quote:
I forget to brush their teeth once in a while, but usually they remind me if I'm having a memory lapse... the other day I was well on my way to forgetting to groom them at all, but when I walked in the kitchen, two of the Pack were sitting in front of the counter, staring at the toothbrush cup... Good thing they have memories! Their ol' ma sure doesn't!
LOL....that's cute. I'll have to try leaving the toothpaste on the kitchen counter to see if that helps me.
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I brush Tucker's teeth about 2-3 times a week. I use Petrodex (sp?) brand toothpaste - poultry flavor. I use the dog toothbrush that comes w/ the paste. a finger brush also comes in the pack. Tucker LOVES it - as soon as he sees me holding the brush & paste, he runs to the couch & sits. he lets me lift his jowels, hold his mouth open & tilt his head back so I can get his back teeth. I've been doing it since he was a wee pup, so he's used to it now.
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Owned by Saints

I usually brush my doggys teeth once a month. Neither particularly enjoy it.

Bubba doesn't mind having his teeth brushed too much. Holding him still is a pain sometimes though. But Lola.. she clamps down on the toothbrush thinking it's something to eat.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Does anyone find brushing to be more effective than those "denta-bones" they have out for the dogs to chew on and clean their teeth? Or vice versa? I am just trying to see which method would be most effective. Byron is ok (most of the time) with me handling his mouth, but only for very short periods of time...at which point he starts getting squirmy.
Thoughts?
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

besides a professional cleaning done by the vet, I feel brushing w/ an enzyme toothpaste is the most effective way. I really don't think denta-bones (or the like) do much. If anything, I'd opt for a raw bone over those to clean the teeth.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I love my shiba inu.

my dogs love the poultry flavour they will let me brush there teeth with no problem, takes a lot of paste though they are licking off the brush faster than I can get it on there teeth.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM

I'll throw in my two cents and say that poulty flavored toothpaste smells pretty terrible, but the dogs like it. Our rescues had terrible teeth when we got them - tons of plaque!! They eat raw now and were on chicken necks for quite a while. This did wonders. Our vet was stunned at the improvement. We still brush, but I don't think it's nearly as effective as the crunchy, meaty, boney goodness of a raw chicken/turkey neck.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
besides a professional cleaning done by the vet, I feel brushing w/ an enzyme toothpaste is the most effective way. I really don't think denta-bones (or the like) do much. If anything, I'd opt for a raw bone over those to clean the teeth.
I agree.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
They look like the "no name" brands in the supermarkets or the dollar stores.
Wow--if that's the case, let me know! They'd be a heck of a lot cheaper there! I'll have to remember to stop in the dollar store next time I drive into town.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. My lab has loose lips.
Loose lips can be a very useful asset!
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

cleaning

check out www.wysong.net for DentaTreat, great results on my dogs.