Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM

cleaning outdoor dog run

We have an outdoor dog run that has a pea gravel 'floor'. We clean out the mess daily and hose down the entire run once every week or so. Is there more we should be doing to clean it? DH was wondering if it should be disinfected every few months. We have good drainage and there's no standing water or anything. The problem right now is that one of our pups has the 'flu' (some kind of virus - diarrhea and some vomitting - vet says she'll be fine just needs a little TLC and time). So I'm thinking disinfecting might not be a bad idea but I have no idea what to use or how to go about it. Has anyone had experience with this?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM

Maybe adding some bleach to the water might help? But you'd have to be sure to flush it all out really well with water afterward.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
-

I agree with Prin's suggestion, but like she said, make sure you hose it down with clean water after you've used the bleach solution.

Why isn't your pup in the house if she's sick? That's the best place for her IMO. It's getting a little cold outside now for a sick pup. Can you contain her in a room (laundry, kitchen, bathroom) with vinyl flooring? Or block off an area in the basement with a concrete floor?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM

Concrete's no good because it's porous. Whatever bugs get into it don't ever get out of it...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
-

Your right....it is porous and I should know that. Well, if the basement would be the only option then you could buy a cheap piece of rollend vinyl and duct tape it to the concrete floor.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Nothing in the op's message suggests she is leaving her sick pup outside all day. In fact, if you recall the following thread, she mentionned the dogs spend a max of 4-5 hours a day in the run, and not all in one time, because she enjoys their company in the house:

http://pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28807

I, too, send my dogs outside to play, and if I had a dog with diarrhea, I could post the same question re disinfecting...
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
-

Actually, I did forget about that post. I know dakar didn't say the puppy was outside all day but I think 4-5 hours would be to long too for one that is sick. I would keep it in the house and only let it out to pee and poop until it is well again. And, keeping it contained on vinyl would certainly save the carpet.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I know dakar didn't say the puppy was outside all day but I think 4-5 hours would be to long too for one that is sick. I would keep it in the house and only let it out to pee and poop until it is well again.
I agree. Cold does affect immunity and I'd keep exposure to cold, damp fall weather to a minimum when an animal is sick.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Cement is the best surface for dog runs as it can be disinfected thoroughly.The cement must be sealed.We use quat to disinfect runs inside and out.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Going but Lise, what do you use to seal it? Could you use the cistern sealant or is there another product?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

My pup isn't outside all day ever and now that she is sick - not desperately sick just a little under the weather - she is only out to potty. In fact she's happily chewing her toy lying beside me as I type. We did think about concrete when we built the run but decided to go with the rock for reasons that aren't really important. We have a run with rock - I just wanted to know about disinfecting. I will definitely try the bleach idea. Thanks all.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Lise,
I somehow missed your post when I was reading. What is quat?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I think Quat is also referred to as Quadsyl... it's a pretty effective disenfectant used by vets, kennels and breeders.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Where would I find it? Would it be better than bleach?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
-

[QUOTE=dakar;303601]My pup isn't outside all day ever and now that she is sick - not desperately sick just a little under the weather - she is only out to potty. QUOTE]

Dakar, I'm sorry if my post offended you....that wasn't my intention.

Hope your pup recovers soon.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

Quat is available through vet/kennel supply.It is an antibacterial,antifungal,germicide it cleans better with less than bleach.It is safe to use on all surfaces.Also it is supposed to be safer to use on animal enclosures than bleach.We use a commercial concrete sealant twice a year here.The contracter who put down the floor gets it for us.You could probably get a sealant for a smaller area at reno depot or somewere like that.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Rainbow
No you didn't offend me. I just wanted to clarify. Tone is so hard to distinguish in e-mail. We're good!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
Going but Lise, what do you use to seal it? Could you use the cistern sealant or is there another product?
From what I've learned about kennels, enamel paint is the best way to seal cement..
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM

When we were looking at surfaces enamel paint was not a great choice as it does not bond well to cement, gets scratched and does not wear well.I"m happy with our floor and cement is what most kennels use.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM

Even with a good primer? The primers they make now are amazing. You can paint glass.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM

I'd use Polyurethane Floor Paint, it's available in clear, but I'd use a colored version (so you can see when it starts to flake.) Standard process is to let new concrete cure for about 30 days (you can walk on it and the dogs can be on it, too.) Then etch the surface with muriatic (diluted hydro chloric acid.) It'll bubble and boil, rinse with lots of flowing water, let dry completely and then apply the polyurethane paint with a thick napped roller. Let it cure for at least a week, then wash with detergent and lots of rinse water. This stuff is incredibly tough--regularly used in mechanic's shops to keep automotive fluids from soaking into the concrete.

If you need an anti skid surface, use a sand or granularized walnut shell additive (available at home centers where you buy the paint.)

On the pebbles, I'd use chlorine bleach or the stuff mentioned previously. Use a garden sprayer to apply it (one of those things that hook on to the end of the garden hose will work.) I don't know quat, but chlorine bleach breaks down in sunlight (why you need to occasionally add chlorine to the swimming pool,) it's very cheap and very effective as a bacterial and virus killing chemical.

The problem with the pebbles, I think, is that urine, some stool material, and vomit can be washed into the soil below the gravel layer. Unless you have a pretty imperivious substrate, it just stays there and isn't washed away. So that flooding the area with water will bring some waste material up to coat the gravel. Grass at least uses the digested waste to power the photosynthetic process.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

not much advice to offer, but i hope pup feels better soon. just let her snuggle with you and stay all warm, i know cuddle with the pets make me feel better when Im sick so it must go the other way too right?
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice. My baby is much perkier today so I think we're past the worst of it.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Helicopter Champion

If you decide to go concrete, there is a two part epoxy system that is normally used for garage floors but is also decent for outdoor use that will seal the concrete and will make clean up easier. Most hardware / automotive stores (i.e. Crappy Tire) will have this product under a variety of trade names.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:28 AM
-

Glad to hear your puppy is feeling better. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.