Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM

14-foot snake kills owner by crushing him in shed

14-foot snake kills owner by crushing him in shed

By The Associated Press

LANESVILLE, Ind. — A 14-foot pet python crushed its owner to death, authorities said Tuesday after finding the snake loose in a southern Indiana shed with the man's body.

Patrick Von Allmen, 23, was found Monday evening in the shed near Lanesville, about 15 miles west of Louisville, Ky.

A medical examiner determined that the death was consistent with asphyxiation caused by compression of the neck and chest, said Conservation Officer Mark Farmer.

"When you're dealing with a wild animal species, you take on a certain amount of risk," he said.

Von Allmen had told family members he was going to treat the snake for a medical condition, Farmer said. He was alone in the shed with the python for about three hours before his body was found.

Relatives said Von Allmen had 10 to 12 years of experience handling reptiles, according to authorities. The family got the snake as a pet five months ago, Farmer said.

Indiana law does not restrict ownership of snakes, and the python was returned to the family.

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I hate snakes!
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Queen

creepy.
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

This is exactly why wild animals reptiles, or anphibians should be left where they belong.... In the WILD

They arent meant to be pets. I like snakes, would never have one, but i respect them a great deal. It breaks my heart to see them as pets.
I like to follow the 'wild ' ones around my yard and watch them in their natural enivonment.
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM

yikes!
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM

That is horrible. I don't really have a problem with pet snakes if they are cared for properly and have a knowledgeable owner. For instance a person knowledgeable in large snakes would know that you never handle a large snake like that alone. And when you do handle the snake you need to have warm water near by as well as alcohol. If a constrictor begins to constrict you (which shouldn't happen if you are knowledgeable about large snakes) you should pour warm water in its eyes which will usually cause the snake to release, and if that doesn't work you should pour alcohol in it's eyes. 9 out of 10 times this will cause it to release. It sounds horrible and can damage the snakes eyes but that may very well save your life. But above all large snakes should never be handled or feed by just one person. This is a safety precaution so that if the snake does begin to constrict someone is there to help you.

With that said I don't believe that LARGE snakes make good pets. Anything over 6 foot is not safe to handle alone and for someone who had years of experience with snakes should have known this. I feel just terrible for this person and his family, that would not be a good way to go.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie467
It sounds horrible and can damage the snakes eyes but that may very well save your life.
However if we would just stop breeding wild animals in hopes to make pets out of the offspring, there would be no need for this type of thing.
JMO
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM

sankes actully make great pets. It is however in most areas illegal to sell wild snakes. Most are bred in captivity. Snakes unfortunally have become fad pets that people want just to look cool. Snakes require a lot of care and a very specific kind of person to make a good home for them.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I agree. 100% athough I do stand very firm on, humans shouldnt be breeding them as pets.

However, as with bully breed dogs,large powerful animals ect. they do fall into the wrong hands sometimes and there are VERY serious consequences.
( I am not implying that this person who owned this snake was one of them in any way)
It is a horrible tragedy what happened.
I just feel that certain animals/reptiles ect. should be just left alone.
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Animal Lover

That's just plain irresponsable on the owner's part. If your not going to be responsible regardless what type of animal you keep you shouldn't have it at all. My boyfriend and I keep snakes. Our biggest boa is about 7' long. As a snake keeper we always make sure to take procaution when handling the snakes and feeding. It pisses me off when stuff like this hits the news, people only see the "bad" in the ownership of snakes and it gives people in this hobby a bad name. Reptiles do make great pets, it's too bad there are so many ignorant people out there.