Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Sheesh!

First, I was not quoting anybody; I was paraphrasing.

I've taken what everybody has said to heart. I hope that all the time and energy I've put into this discussion has given open minded people something to think about as well.

My dog is very calm submissive and very low energy. I'm guessing a lot of peoples' dogs are. I do not need to even consider using most of Cesar Millan's more drastic training measures, because they are specifically intended for dogs with behavior problems, domination problems, and obsessions. I use a sound and my dog stops in his tracks. I am very happy with my relationship with my dog.

I think Cesar Millan's philosophies are really interesting. I see that they are mostly about the attitude of the owner. I firmly believe that what I have learned from his shows and incorporated into my own ways of being has greatly contibuted to my satisfying relationship with my dog. I hope to continue to learn and be open to new ideas.

Please don't discount or insult my happy relationship with my dog because I have taken to heart some of Cesar Millan's philosophies.
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM

I just watched one of his shows the other day for the first time & thought he had some very interesting advice about imaging how you want your walk to go...and about projecting that. He also mentioned something about information traveling around the doggie neighborhood, etc. I thought it was quite fascinating.

I did notice the guy has quite the ego though and he seemed to really overexplain his "tap" for some reason. He does indeed project strong leadership but wonder if dogs fear him rather than respect him....guess we'll never know.

I'm glad I didn't see the choke collar episode...
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:40 PM

In the other thread about the whisperer, I said how what he says is GREAT but what he does doesn't reflect what he says at all. If you learn from what he says, fine. But don't do as he does, IMO, if you don't want your dog to fear you instead of respecting you.

The dog whisperer's philosophies do not equal his practices.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
what he says is GREAT but what he does doesn't reflect what he says at all.
Sounds like a lot of people in my life recently!

I don't think I'd go with his training style...think it would produce negative results. My trainer is a very loving & soft - she has had success with other dogs...unfortunately my dog may be the exception.

In general there is no reason to be harsh (that will be the term I'll use anyway) when being mild/loving & using lots of praise works.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I watch Cesar's show a lot and have just read his book, which has some great advice.
No I don't agree with EVERYTHING he says, but his book seemed to have a lot of valid points and went into more detail on some subjects (such as dominance, which is a problem in one of my dogs) than most training stuff I've read. Also, a lot of the tips have worked well on my dog (no I don't use any of the harsher methods stated in the thread).
His book mostly just talks about staying calm while trying to train your dog, and controlling it's enviroment so that it learns to respect you and knows what is expected of it so that the dog doesn't get confused.
It also talks about how many owners forget that their dogs are dogs and try to treat them like humans such as giving unclear commands (like letting the dog out of the front door first and yelling at it for running up the street, while wondering why it won't come back.)
All in all I always take training information with a grain of salt (everyone has their own methods and opinions), and never utilize information that I personally find unethical, but I don't discount ALL advice from someone just because I don't find all their opinions to my liking (though if some of you personally find him abusive I don't fault you for not giving him your money or time .
Btw, I'm not saying it's not true, but I've never seen him kick a dog on his television show (though I may have a short attention span, lol) , every show I've seen has had useful advice.
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

dog whisperer

I haven't witnessed any acts of cruelty that Cesar has administered, he taps the dog with his foot to retrieve its attention, have never seen a wind-up kick and all his methods seem to work, they're a fast turn-around for some dogs that have been uncontrollable for most of their long lives. These dogs are given a chance to turn their lives around and enjoy more structure, exercise and positive attention. I can't see trying to handle a 80 lb. frenzied, aggressive dog with any other methods. The owners are given simple consistent training that enable them to control and better understand their dog's needs.
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:12 AM

I never said anywhere that there was a wind up....

But did you see the dog's face when he "tapped" it? It's like a "what the hey did you do that for, you a**? What did I ever do to you?" kind of face. I saw him "tap" a bulldog- he calls it tapping or "distracting" but the dog's hiney moves. Ever try moving a bulldog around? Not easy.

There are other ways of maintaining a dog's focus than tapping him in the a** with your foot..
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I watched both shows when Cesar Milan helped Oprah with her dog Sophie's (Cocker) both people and dog aggression as well as the one where he helped Decorator Nate Berkus's dogs Emma and Henry where one was leash aggression while the other had a barking problem.

From what I learned watching these shows it was very useful and actually the day I did met Jiorji I was using his methods on trying to get Misti to focus on me rather then her usual dragging me everywhere. I only stopped to speak with her because I thought she thought I was being mean and felt to explain what I was doing. The whole scene was actually funny but I did learn something from watching those shows and since then it has worked wonderfully.

That being said I have not watched his TV show so I cannot comment where most members say they were horrified by his methods. The lawsuit is pending so I have to agree with Willingheart when he quoted "we hope the proper restitution will be decided in court and not on this forum".

I like you would never use any unethical advice but I found again from only the Oprah show he focused more on the attitude of the owners.
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
There are other ways of maintaining a dog's focus than tapping him in the a** with your foot..
This is true, but I guess it depends on what tools you have with you. A can of pennies works well (sometimes) for distracting my chow mix, but if I had nothing with me or she wasn't responding to the pennies I would probably tap her on the butt or smack her on the butt with her leash.
Also it depends on the dog I suppose. If my chow mix is fixated on something almost nothing works, you can run at her, clap your hands, snap your fingers, stomp, yell, etc. she'll just ignore you. She's also a dog that can pull the leash out of my hands or pull me over if I let her, so distracting her quickly is essential.
My collie however, if I were to get physical with him, he would probably put his tail between his legs and lay down in fear, all he needs to get his attention is a snap of the fingers or a whistle, even speaking to him in a firm voice scares him. Dogs like him aren't the ones I've seen on the dog whisperer though, because I'd guess they're less likely to have obedience problems.