Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Question My Puppy is out of control..Help!

I have a 7 month old mini boxer (cross between a boxer and a boston terrier) who is out of control. I have to have my dog out side most of the day as he never stops. He wants to run around and jump on you all the time. If I go out side and I dont un-tie him he wount stop barking which is one of the problem. The other problem is ...: If I do let him lose he then just wants to clime on top of me. I am all strached from him and he just never stops. I dont know what to do anymore. I want to spend time with my puppy but he hurts me. Please help I have run out of ideas. :
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM

1) bring him inside. He's lonely and desperate for companionship, and the only interaction he knows is to jump and climb, since he wants so much to be with his family. Please, let your dog be a part of your life and home.

2) sign up for obedience training. A good training class will show you how to quickly and effectively bring your pet under control

3) make sure he has enough exercise - both physical and mental exercise. Take him for walks, play games, practice your obedience exercises and teach him tricks. Tired dogs are good dogs.

4) get him neutered, if he isn't already.
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you pick this "breed" or did you just happen to stumble on it?

Boxers are working dogs and Boston Terriers are, well, terriers. Working dogs need a job to do and terriers were first bred (most of them, anyway) to catch rodents.

First off, you need to untie the dog. The single most common factor in dog bites is a chained/tied dog.

Then you are going to need to find a trainer. Most of the behaviors that you are having a hard time with would be easy to deal with in a young puppy, if dealt with fairly and consistantly. Since the dog has gotten away with this behaviour for so long, it is going to take more time, and more patience to deal with.

Please, make no mistakes - if you are not prepared to spend time - and I mean lots of time - and money (for trainers) then your best bet would be to contact a rescue group and see if you can get some help in placing this dog with a person/family that knows how to handle a working terrier.
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I agree with all of the above. This is just the beginning.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I agree with everything above too. Sign up for an obedience class. Please get help fast.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Argh. Mini boxer. Sheesh.

Anyway, you have a mix of 2 very high energy dogs there. Did you do any research about them?
I can certainly tell you about boxers. They are VERY needy- no boxer is happy tied outside for any length of time. They want to be with you at all times. They also have a tendency to jump up and use their paws for many things. You expect a boxer puppy to want to jump and they need firm leadership to stop this natural tendency.
Knowing the breed, nothing that you said is surprising at all. Find a trainer that likes boxers (many don't...they can be hard to focus and have a mind of their own). Also, keep the dog's nails clipped short. Boxers have "cat claws" in that they stick up and out from the foot, and it's easy to get scratched.
I really hope that you did not pay a lot for this "designer mix". I love boxers, and hate to see purposeful breeding like this. They are wonderful dogs but not for everyone. They also have many health problems due in large amount to bad breeding practices.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with all comments made by other posters. If you take obedience classes, please ensure that the classes are in fact Obedience - and not basically just a social hour with lots of high fat treats. That happened to us which is why we are not having a few private training classes - the Barbara Woodhouse way - to deal with some issues specific to our Eskimo - heck specific to most Eskies. Actually his trainer trained the Boxers he plays with at his weekly socialization. I have also had mini Dachshunds - a form of terrier - so you definitely have a mix of 2 breeds with different needs that you have to get under some level of control. But definitely bring the dog in. No way any of my dogs would ever have stayed out without me.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

First off welcome to the board. The problems start with tying the dog outside. Boxers are velcro dogs they need to be with there family it is like punishment to be kept away from them. So when the dog does see you he can't wait to get to you and give you kisses. Both breeds are short snouted and in this heat should not be left outside,they are very suseptible to overheating which can be deadly. Dogs do not sweat like humans. Lots of cool not cold water always available. Only allow small amounts of water after exercising deep chested dogs are prone to bloat which you should read up on so you can do things to avoid it. One of the most important things is an obedience class this will help you to bring your dog under control and you will have a much happier dog and you will be too. Your dog will greet you without jumping and scratching you and dogs love to please you so work with him on the days you do not have classes 10 minutes twice a day will do wonders and if the dog is game longer. Good luck and keep us posted and any questions we are here
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Smile Thank

Thanks for all the replies. I will take the advice. But I do have to stress that I love my dog very, very much and wouldnt not give him up for anything...but just like kids can sometimes get out of control. Thanks again.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM

I like your attitude.