Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie,that is a horrific story,they would never show a dog being shot on TV in Canada(I think!!).
So,it turns out they were not BullMastiffs?
I suppose the puppies to will be on death-row
Here again,another example of BYB gone very bad,especially for the dogs!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh dear Mel, and you aren't terrified of dogs now? That is quite the story!

This is so very upsetting...and you know we will never know if the dogs really were pbt's or something else!

Puppies too, isn't that great. It's all so sad, so very sad.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

i try not to be afraid of dogs, charlie has taught me alot, and i have never been scared of her. but i will not walk past dogs in the street, i will cross the road and if i have charlie we will walk a mile to avoid having to pass them. when i was a teen i was terrified of most dogs and was forever walking another route to avoid a dog i had spotted. but i understand alot more about dogs now and daily so it helps me to be armed with the right info, and i just dont go near cranky dogs. it is hard being scared of dogs when you have one, they are magnets for other dogs so one learns to cope. poor little puppies, i hope the litter is not put down.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Mel,I was just watching a wonderful show on Animal-Planet,called"Jack the Joey" about this lady somewhere in Oz,I think her name was Edith Latham,who takes in all kinds of animals,but mostly roos and mostly joeys,rescued after the moms got hit by cars.She is an amazing lady,had pouches hanging everywhere in the house,had a big fenced in property where the Joeys go when thy are old enough,to later be set free..
She also had rescued horses,sheep,deer,cats and dogs,geese and ducks,an amazing lady!!One of her dogs was an Albino Shepard,blind and deaf,the other a big old female with seizures.
Watching her saving all these roos,I can't help thinking of the other side of the coin,where they are treated like pests and hunted down.
It was however an excellent show,even my cats were watching these little Joeys hopping around
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

You are soo right Chico!! Unfortunately, I think that Brick would BE that dog!! He doesn't take crap from any dog, and for some reason its always the little ones that come to pick fights with him. He could give two ****s about them, and they keep at him and at him! The owners think its funny! We've warned one guy on 2 different occasions to keep his dog away, that Brick doesn't like being pestered - he just laughed!! Fool!!! Brick told his little yapper a thing or two!! I felt bad for a moment, but he was warned, several times!!

My most recent bite was by a black lab/pointer x. That bite is STILL healing!!! About 7 years ago I got bit on the arm by my neighbours retarded JRT - bit right through my denim jacket little f@#$%. Then when I was about 15, I got bit by a Husky...... that one we were playing and he just got carried away so it was partly my fault!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:34 PM

When I was a kid, some neighbours down the street had their house broken into and their daughter was held with a knife to her throat. They went out and got a huge black lab named "Ace". He was a nasty bugger.

I was delivering papers at the time, and had to open their outside door to throw the paper through the slot. Sometimes Ace would come charging down the hall and butt the inside door open with his nose if it had been left ajar. I'd hold the outside door closed with every bit of strength I had until someone came to pull him off. One day he got through the outside door and grabbed my arm. Thankfully it was winter and I had my big parka on, but he shook the hell out of me. I punched him in the head as hard as I could, but it didn't even phase him. Finally the owner came out and pulled him off. He felt horrible. By the time I made it to my parents house, my dad looked at my coat and began yelling at me for having holes in the sleeve. I told him what happened. Bad idea. He went to our neighbours house and yelled at them that if it ever happened again, he'd be back and kill their dog! I can still remember him yelling "Your damn dog has put holes in Bill's coat! I just paid for that damn thing this fall!". Thanks for the concern Dad.

Anyhoo, Ace and I eventually became friends once I had grown up a bit and wasn't delivering papers anymore. I think working in a kitchen and coming home smelling like meat helped that relationship grow.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

well there is a small minority of wild life carees doing a birlliant job here, the reason for so few carers is that there is no financial support for wildlife carers at all, they must pay all food, vet bills etc. and when dealing with really fussy animals such as bats, birds and reptiles it get extrememly expensive, but they do some great stuff ( i trained to be a wildlife carere and vet nurse, but due to the expense it is not possible). and yes many a marriage has been tested by the presence of a joey in the bed. joeys are one of the most labor intense animals to raise, they require feeding every several hours. and joeys live in pouchs so they cannot go to the toilet on their own, the mother roo licks the joeys bttom to stimulate toileting and then she consumes the mess from the baby, as a carere this means after every single feed one must sit for 15-20 mins with the joey toileting it, doesnt seem much but when this is done 24 hrs a day 7daypw, it can get very tiring. and there is many a family with a pet roo, you see them hanging out with other pets such as dogs. and with joeys many a farmers wife has rescued and raised them (many at the disaproval of hubby). in genral they are a pest to farming communites and others that rely on land, i nthe cities such as sydney im pretty sure a kangaroo is not of much concern, many a child in the cities has never seen a cow let alone a roo, if they cannot care for water in a drought (still watering gardens and washing cars) or the destruction of habitat all across the country, or the destruction of our resources (i could go on for days) or the death of thousands of animals daily due to over development and land clearing what chance does a little roo have of registering on their radar. but there are some really caring people here who do wonders, my favourite being DR john wamsley, who with his wife have brought several specis back form the brink and he paid for it all out of his own pocket .
oh catt and bill, i have never been bitten by big dogs, only poodles and that is scary enough, gosh you are a strong ones not to be put of dogs forever .