Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Question Providing exercise for non-fetchers...

My two dogs a JRT (6 years) and a PRT (17 weeks) refuse to fetch a tennis ball. I know a ball obsessive dog can be highly neurotic ... HOWEVER, I find getting them the exercise they require isn't easy.

Our older dog can be tired out by a 30 minute brisk walk... and now that she's older I don't worry so much. But with our puppy I find it a challenge.

For those who have dogs that don't chase and retrieve, how do you get them vigorous exercise?

TIA,
Kate
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Sorry, what's a PRT? Is it the bigger Jack (parson)? If it is, I think that's pretty flukey that he doesn't chase stuff...
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

I thought "Parson" was simply a new name for the "Jack"? I didn't think they were two different breeds, or different sizes of the same breed?

Anyhoo ... yeah, that'd be a total fluke if you had two such highly driven breeds who didn't have that drive at all. I know my dog has only recently started showing interest in retrieving, and she's just turned 2, so maybe it's only a matter of time before your pup starts chasing that ball. In the mean time, have you tried bouncing stuff that jumps around erratically? Footballs and Kongs work well. This erratic movement seems to trigger a hunting instinct in them. I know my Phoebe chased her Kong around long before showing any interest in a ball.

Jacks swim, too, don't they? Maybe a dip in a baby pool once the weather gets nice enough.

Best of luck!
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Performance Spaniels

Mine has always sort of chased a ball and never really picked it up except to try t oeat the fluff off a tennis ball. Finally at 20 months she has interest and we play fetch in the tennis courts here.
At home I chase her in the yard and get her to run around like a mad dog.. We take agility classes and work on commands and tricks at home (mental stimulation requires a lot of effort and tires them out too), and of course we walk, but that never really 'does' it for us either.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Hmm.. Maybe I have it reversed? The stories vary as to which one is the bigger one, so maybe the story I got is wrong.. My dad got the big one- he's much bigger than the other Jacks. My dad's is 25lbs (skinny). But the ratting drive is unbelievable. He won't stop till he gets them. He killed a squirrel in the blink of an eye, before my dad even knew there was a squirrel around.

My dad's Jack:
Attached Images

Old May 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Performance Spaniels

Hey Prin, can I borrow that furbaby? We have a hardcore squirrel issue. They are so lazy they keep eating the flower bulbs rather than forage food..
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM

omg he'd go insane! My dad's upscale condo building had mice and my dad didn't see him for a week. lol He was crouched at the point of exit of the mice the whole week and barely even stopped to eat or go out. Very determined little bugger.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Performance Spaniels

We have a minor one of those issues too, we can't find the entry point, and have the issue confined to one basement room with mouse traps...

Dude, Can I so borrow that pup. Swear I'll give it lots of excercise and feed it top quality food, lol.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM

I don't know if my dad could part with him... My dad has had dogs most of his life, but I think this guy is who he has clicked most with. He even sleeps on the bed sometimes.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Quote:
Our older dog can be tired out by a 30 minute brisk walk...
I am glad you said that because Joey gets tired too from his walks, hes six too - if we go for 45 minutes he usually just likes to lounge around for the rest of the day

as far as fetching goes he will fetch his stuffies but he doesnt have much of an interest in balls. I will throw the stuffies, socks etc out of his bed and he brings them back one at a time. He wasnt really trained to do this but he just likes to have his things in place, the socks he considers his things
Attached Images

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Performance Spaniels

LOL we could create a loan program Prin. I swear I'd return him in like a week. He could borrow Cider if lonely, lately she has so much energy I can't tire her out, lol. It would be sorta the same, I just wouldn't have any more squirrels. lol.
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe a lure pole/flirt pole with his favorite toy attached

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/2/_/2_bad_dogs/lurepole.htm

a slightly different version
http://www.thebullyhouse.net/images/150_5012.AVI
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:53 AM

JRFrenzy,
Two Jacks that won't chase a ball??? My goodness!
My JRT is ball obsessed...but then,,,he's obsessed with anything he can chase. I HAVE had foster Jacks that wouldn't play...with anything except stuffed animals. Do they play with other things? Just won't fetch?

The treat ball is a favorite at my house. Ball that you put little treats in and as it rolls around they fall out. Kind of like putting bait in the ball...they have to play with it to get it. Not just chew it, like kong, but ROLL it around. That might work.

Hope this helps!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Laser pointers are wonderful around here, Kita doesnt much like to fetch either but she took a real liking to chasing the laser pointer around the house. She thinks its a bebit!! LOL
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM

I agree laser pointers will certainly get them moving....BUT....and I can only speak for myself and people who have had the same problem...it can create a monster.
Cooper, for the longest time after my brother in law brought over the laser, would do nothing but wait to hear that familiar keychain jingle. He knew where it was kept,,,,he waited....he wanted nothing to do with anything else! Also, I have hear that it makes them manic, as they cannot catch it, cannot touch it, cannot smell it, ...basically everything they associate with playhunting. Makes them pretty paranoid sometimes.

Again, not every dog or cat, but it's a common issue. I have heard alot of bad about this otherwise terrific way of playing with your critters.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Good points, kita is kinda a laser monster, she attacked our xmas tree cause it had a few red mini lights!! Also if you do try the laser pointer make sure your dog doesnt actually "ram" its nose trying to get it, keep it on the go! They can get hurt by trying to catch it. So if you try use it with caution!
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

The Jack Russell Terrier is not a recognized breed by the CKC (it's in the works though). They had to standardize the breed, hense the creation of the Parson Russell Terrier. Those who are pushing to have it recognized (as it is in the AKC) have a general saying when it comes to JRTs and PRTs - same gene pool, different breed. Basically the JRT is a non standardized version, typically more of a housepet. These are the 'shorties' or 'puddins' most people associate with the breed. The PRT is the taller version. Both have variations in colour and coat. Confused? LOL!!

Most of my JRT friends tell me to count my lucky stars I have two that aren't manic about tennis balls!

Again, I'm not worried about Sadie. She has settled into an excellent pet that doesn't need constant stimulation.

HOWEVER, Odin is still very much a puppy and we're intent on training him well. A tired puppy is a happy puppy!

It's a good point about mental stimulation. We start obedience soon and perhaps that will tire him out in other ways.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Kate
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Another idea...A bird feeder close to a window they can access. Watching the birds seems to be very entertaining to my JRTs and cats alike! SO that's mental, but hmmm...physical....

Maybe a doggie daycare once or twice a week? Exciting and sure to run around playing with others the whole time.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM

I'm having a hard time with Hunter because all he wants to do is bite. He still chases the cats (spraying him won't work - I've actually set up a spare bedroom to put the cats away for a few hours so they can rest). He'll run all over the furniture though he listens when we say "no" and that means he can't jump on. He chases after things but he won't bring them back to keep playing so after you throw the ball he catches it, quickly loses interest, and then runs after the cats. He won't even look at Kong toys. In fact, none of his toys seem to catch any of his interest. He gets plenty of physical excercise all on his own (we still walk him though) but I can't get him mentally stimulated to where he would focus on ONE thing for more than 2 seconds unless it's CONSTANTLY moving around the house - the minute it stops, he's done with it and on to the cats. Obviously the cats don't stop running away from him, but I don't want him to do that, and he's not very good at listening when it comes to leaving the cats alone. The cats have even hissed and scratched and it doesn't phase him at all. Jokingly, I think I would have to tazer him when he's attacking the cats for him to learn NOT to do it!

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129