Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM

my dog continues to chew her pads off her feet / IMAGES / please help!! :(

hello, i have a 5 year old pitbull/boxer mix and she has (over the last 9 months) at random chewed and bit off her foot padding numerous times...
she has always been a licker of her feet, but lately i will find myself waking up in the middle of the night with my dog breathing very very fast and 1 or more of her pads have been chewed off...
she will lick and lick and lick them, then she starts to bite and tear...
usually this is done out of sight from me, but sometimes when it is really bad she will begin doing it right infront of me and i have to tell her to stop over and over and over...

ive had her in and out of the vet literally 30 times within the last 9 months and when she does chew one off it then takes about a 3-6 weeks to fully heal back...depending on severity,
for the last 4 months she has had to wear that stupid cone on her head at all times while im out of my apartment because she continues to attempt at chewing them off...sometimes i fall asleep without putting the cone on her and by the time i awake an hour later she has another one halfway off...(this has happened 3 times)
i hate leaving her in that damn cone!!! i have one of the soft collars now that is a downward cloth instead of the see-thru ring that went around her head but regardless they both suck and she shouldnt have to wear them!!!

at first my vet thought it was just that she is allergic to something, so she had me stop feeding her human food alltogether,
after many trials of food we have settled on a mixture of Purina HA Hypo-allerginic & Purina LA Limited-antigen...she seems to like that and it is very hypo-allergenic supposedly.
allergic to what tho? she has never done this before...

then my vet tells me it could be seperation anxiety..cuz my dog is very attached to me...
again, this has never happened before and ive had my dog 5 years... + she will do it right in front of me if i let her!!!

we have did scrappings, blood tests, my vet actually cut chunks of her paws out under anestesia so she could send it in for lab work...
nothing came back out of normal ranges...
it is simply mind boggling-

she also takes vetus pet vites & skin formula 3V Caps (which contains fishoil & fatty acids)
& has been on, and is still currently on Azathioprene (50mg tablet per day)- isnt this bad for dogs???

if ANYONE can help, even the slightest suggestion or big of knowledge would mean a great deal...
i appreciate it so much,

i have attached many pictures to help you get a vision of what im dealing with...

pictures of the actual aftermaths---

pictures of random weird pad growths---

pictures of random blisters---

pictures of recent dis-coloring of the pads (just happened recently)---

Last edited by sways_bodyguard; May 10th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.