Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Pitbull pup and Firemen Montreal

My dogwalker just called me, there was a fire (mostly smoke) at the apartment building where she walks dogs in the afternoon. Her client is a salesmen, he's in and out all the time.

Thankfully, he came home couple of minutes before she got there and discovered that their was smoke coming out the next apartment and the firemen were there.

The firemen went inside the apartment, saw two dogs barking at them and closed the door. The firemen told my dogwalkers client that they aren't going in there because there's two crazy dogs and one of them is a pitbull. (I must add a PITBULL PUP!)

The guy was really mad, he went inside the apartment and took out the two dogs and now they are sitting safe and sound in his apartment. He had to take his two dogs and put them in someone else's apartment since he couldn't handle four dogs!

According to my dogwalker, the pup was very afraid but she spent some time with her and the other dog and they are alright now.

What a stupid society we live in!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG..they would actually leave the dogs to die
Once on vacation,we met some firemen from Toronto,I asked them if they would save my cats if there was a fire in my house.
The said"Heck no,we don't have time for that!"
It disturbed me....I'll just hope I never have a fire.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It was mostly smoke from what I understand, the guy went out leaving a pot on his stove (burner turned on) which caused alot of smoke in the building. The fire department was called and they weren't very nice to his dogs.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
-

Ouch!I tought firemen were pet friendly.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

My brother is a volunteer fireman with the local fire department. He says that his job is to protect human life and property - animals are NOT a priority.

Having said that - most fireman are family men complete with family pets and if they come across a pet that they can SAFELY remove from a home without risking a firefighter's safety or the building burning to the ground - then they will do so.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM

I understand that if the fire is out of control or it is too dangerous to enter why firefighters would not go in to save a pet, although it is sad, just reality. If the fire wasn't too bad though, I can't understand them not going in...especially just cause they "think" a pet is mean cause of what it looks like. I imagine pets could be stressed and may react bably though.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I don't think firefighters will go into a burning building specifically to find a very frightened cat who no doubt could be hiding in numerous places. You have to remember, firefighters don't know the layout of houses and most buildings. They don't have time to feel out every square feet, in a fire the smoke is so dark and thick they have to rely on their hands and they CANNOT see past their masks. Also, about that "no time" comment, under the right conditions a building can be engulfed in flames in a matter of minutes. The firefighters cannot risk being trapped in a confined space where the temperature soars to hundred of degrees, they would literally cook to death even if the fire doesn't reach them.

Their priorities are human victims and themselves. It is sad that animals are left behind but those are the facts of life. I'm sorry to hear the firefighters you mentioned left the dogs behind, but remember, they have to think of their own safety. They are faced with terrified and therefore possibly unpredictable animals, not the happy, loving furballs you've raised and know.

Last edited by StinkyT; May 5th, 2006 at 11:50 AM.