Holly is not well
This is my first time at this site and I really could use some help. Holly is 14 years old this summer (I've had her since she was 8 weeks old) and until this past week she has been very healthy. We have learned that she has Adenocarcinoma ( a cancer in the lungs) and her lungs have already been drained of fluid once to ease her breathing. It is a certainty that this will happen again and although she is comforatble now (eating and chatting to the birds at the window), I don't want her to go through the stress of being raced to the emergency clinic again or to be in any pain. We have arranged for a vet who does house calls to come tonight so that she can be put to sleep while she is pain free, with those who love her, and in calm familiar surroundings. The Doctor calls it a controlled decision to protect Holly from suffering, but while she still appears okay we feel incredibly guilty. How do you know when it is the right time to make this decision?