Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Angry Kash was attacked on sunday morning

I was in the park with the doggies on sunday morning - it was an absolutely beutiful day when out of knowhere came a great big boxer dog its owner was shouting it from right across the other side of the park and there was nobody else there. Tazz ran behing me and when kash got free she ran behind me too and eventually the owner caught up with her dog - no apology or anything kash has two deep puncture wounds which the vet is keeping an eye on her as it took most of sunday to stop the bleeding completely - she is an 8 month old puppy minding her business playing with tazz when this happens...Surely this lady is in the wrong - her dog should have been on a lead if it will just attack for no reason. I Wont be going back to that park anyway - more and more irresponsble dog owners every day. Kash will definately have a scars on her nose and a smaller one above her eye just because we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG

((((((((HUGS))))))))).I am sooooooooooo sorrry....

Was or is there any way you could find out who this person is and where they live?I would definately find her and inform the cops...I would make damn sure she pays for this....And pays for your vet costs...But I'm not sure how things are done in regards to a situation like this where you are...

Some people just piss me off.....
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Grrrr.....I know what you mean! I was walking my dog on a horse trail in the forest when two large boxers rounded the corner and charged straight for my dog. One of them hit her so hard he knocked her down, while the other circled around. I got my dog behind me and yelled at them to "GO". I was shaking like a leaf as I had no way of knowing if they would attack me too!

After what seemed an eternity, the owner comes waddling up, chuckling and starting to say, "Well, it's because..." I cut her off and informed her that there was NO acceptable reason why her aggressive and out of control dogs were offleash!

If I had a cell phone, I would have called the police on the spot, as there is a leash law here.

Being charged by untrained dogs, while the owner stands there shouting, "It's o.k., he/she is friendly!" is nearly a daily occurance for me and now I don't even walk my dog on weekends or early evenings anymore.

My dog is ALWAYS on leash, but if any other dogs get hurt by starting a fight with her, SHE and I will be blamed because she is a pit bull and fully capable of finishing the fight.

I'm so sorry Kash was attacked and that stupid woman should definitely pay the vet bills. Not even an apology? Too bad you didn't get her name, you could have taken her to small claims court just to teach her a lesson.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I would have stuck around to speak to her but she had no control of the dog even when it was on a lead - the park i went to is used by people who live in a small area of leeds and i know a lot of people there having lived there all my life...so i guess it wont be too difficult to find out who she is - im not bothered about the vet costs more bothered about that dog attacking another dog maybe even worse! Kash looks so sorry for herself and tazz keeps trying to lick the side of her face she keeps climbing on my knee really slowly and looking at me with her ears down - they are silly little buggers...but they certainly know how to make me feel sorry for them!
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Sounds like Sunday wasn't a good day for anyone. I can empathize. My angry dog situation started on Sunday afternoon. In about half an hour I get to walk past the angry dogs that went for us yesterday. Maybe the animal control officers will be at their house when we go by.

Anyhoo, very sorry to hear about your dogs getting terrorized and attacked. I am at the point where I'm thinking there is no limit to the number of angry dog stories we are going to hear.

Some poor blind guy's seeing eye dog got ripped apart by a pit bull that was off leash last week on Vancouver Island.

Ya know LR, I have always had a healthy fear of pit bulls. Simply put, they scare the hell out of me. I know part of that is conditioning from the media. I know that lots of them can be really good dogs with their owners. But I have the utmost respect for people like yourself who are pit bull owners and recognize and respect their genetic history and won't let them off leash, rather than trying to live in an imaginary utopia. If they are going to be around, let's at least not put them in positions where they end up in the headlines of the local newspapers. Before I came to this site, I tried to be the absolute pro dog person and let Bob play with a male pit at the park one day. They got along fine for about ten minutes and then things took a gradual wrong turn. Ten seconds later Bob was on his back with this thing at his chest. Scared the hell out of me and I haven't let him play with pit bulls off leash since.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your dog. I would try to find the person thats dog did this and make them help if not pay for all of your vet bills. I am glad there are good pet owners like you that will get your animal into the vet and not just let it suffer and heal on its own. Your dog is very lucky to have you. We need more pet owners that will take care of there animals when there is a problem!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh poor little guy must have scared the crud outta him. I hope he isn't going to be traumatized over this now.

What an idiot, I'm sure she knew her dog was not dog friendly!!

Can you find out where she lives, do you know the neighbourhood. Report it to your local animal control. Does your vet have to report the attack? He/She should.

TAKE PICTURES of it and take pictures of where it occurred!

I would find this person and get them to pay your vet bills and any time you are taking off work to care for your dog.

You never know how things develop but this dog's owner needs to be held responsible. Find out who she is where she lives and dont' just let it go!

I wouldn't if I were you! The next time this dog could kill or seriously injure!

Stupid stupid stupid people!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Bill, whoever had his pit bull off leash around other dogs is an IDIOT and irresponsible creep - the kind of person who hurts all of us.

Yes, most people get their info about this breed from the sensationalistic media but very often the "pit bulls" reported in their Attack stories are not even pit bulls at all. Many people wouldn't know a pit bull if they fell over one.

My dog has correct temperament for the breed, just a "fool for love" with every single person. She is also wonderful with other animals, but is intolerant of ill mannered dogs. Hell, so am I!!

No matter how good she was with other dogs, I would NEVER ever let her off leash around any of them, and any pit bull owner who does needs a good swift kick in the butt!! It's apparently o.k. for other breeds to be very dog aggressive and even human aggressive, but pit bulls must be perfect.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:23 PM

I've had my dog attacked twice by the same Dalmatian in the same dog park... She was off leash both times the first time she was a 9 month old pup and basically just cowered when he attacked.. the second time the other dog was on a leash but we met at a corner... and the dal jumped my dog before either of us could react- that time she held her own.. luckily in both instances neither dog was injured (not even a scratch)... Although the first attack when mine was a pup made her nervous around large dogs and aggressive with small dogs. The second time I stopped walking my dog there.

It's very frustrating knowing that my dog's behavior was effected because someone else couldn't control their dog - that Dal had attacked about 10 dogs that I know of before attacking mine the first time. My dog now barks at other dogs and is often aggressive when first meeting another dog - so I need to be, and I am, careful when introducing her to new dogs.

On the other hand I also met a responsible owner of a very aggressive dog in the same park - his was on a leash - he saw us coming down the rail and asked us to get a hold of our dogs - we did and his dog proved very aggressive has he went past - he thanked us as he went by... I don't blame people for having aggressive dogs... you never know what the dogs history is - maybe the dog is a rescue and the new owner can't fix the aggression - or maybe like mine the dog had an experience that was beyond the owners control... the main thing is that the owner of said aggressive dog manages it appropriately, to not put other dogs or people in danger - and that management could be a good fence, a leash or even having the dog put down - which I had to do with a dog that turned cross for no reason I knew of and bit a little girl... when you own pets you sometimes need to make hard decisions to keep the pets best interest in mind.

Oh yeah, forgot to add - when the dal attacked my dog for the second time(she did fight back that time) I was informed by the dal's owner that she had "heard" about my dog... and how she had attacked some poodle and nearly killed it and the guy is looking for me to pay his vet bills (at this point I'm thinking huh???)- now my dog was never more than 10 ft away from me when off leash (she is very command obedient) and never out of my sight, and knowing she can be aggressive around small dogs, I leashed her when one she didn't know was around, also the group I walked with hadn't been walking at that park the whole month that this had supposedly happened (we had been taking them to a beach to swim) - so I know my dog did no such thing... apparently, the guy saw a rotti attack his dog - and someone told him it was mine????? I got fed up with dog parks after that and our group stuck to other private trails near our homes.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM

LR, the funny thing about that situation is that the woman who owns it is a member of some pitbull organization, and was telling me she's involved in a pit bull rescue thing too. She seems like she really knows dogs pretty well. She certainly dove in pretty quick and got her dog off Bob and scolded her dog for being nasty, but I didn't go back to that park for quite a while anyway. Seems there's quite few dogs there at that particular park with that crossbreed. A friend of mine I used to work with is one of the owners. She actually told me once that the pitbull owners tend to try and meet there together to let their dogs play. She's a very sweet person, but I told her that I wouldn't let my dog play with hers because of the breed. She wasn't overly pleased with that, and seemed a bit hurt by the comment. But that wasn't going to sway my decision at all. I've met her little dog and the girl is so very cute. A smile that almost makes you think the top of her head is going to fall off backwards. But I've also seen her get ornery with other dogs with very little provocation.

When you boil things down, a responsible owner will determine the demeanor of the dog. They will also determine the lifespan and life quality of the dog through their determination of responsible dog ownership.

You are actually the first pit bull owner/rescuer/advocate that I've ever known that has professed such responsible ownership. Admittedly I haven't known hords of pit bull owners, but enough to know that you're the exception to the rule as far as I'm concerned.

And as for dalmations, I've heard (haven't verified) that there is so much inbreeding in purebreds that they end up with some level of maladjustment. I know I've had two snap at Bob for no reason at all.

So, what's the deal with that. I'm sure there would be differences in the US and Canada, but do you have legal recourse in recovery of vet costs or lost wages due to your dog being attacked unprovoked? I guess you could take them to small claims court, but does this happen? First of all I'd guess you might have a hard enough time in many situations even getting the persons name.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
the funny thing about that situation is that the woman who owns it is a member of some pitbull organization, and was telling me she's involved in a pit bull rescue thing too.

Are you in On.? I know most of the people in pit bull rescue there, and none of them would ever think of doing anything so stupid and irresponsible. Like anything else, there are really crummy rescues out there too, and this person obviously is clueless!! She really needs to educate herself before she, and others like her, cause more breed bans to come into play.

This is why, even if I had a different breed, I would never take any dog of mine to a dog park.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Nope, Van, BC.
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Van - eek! I really think I may know who this is. If it's the same woman, she took some Mickey Mouse training course and considers herself an expert on the breed. I know that she insists it's "all in how you raise and train them." WRONG. She refuses to listen to reason.

If you ever get the chance to talk to her, ask her if she had a pit bull/American bulldog mix named Duke.

When her dog kills or maims another dog because of her stupidity all of us get yet another black mark.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

the other week in a neighbouring town 2 muscle breeds (not trying to generalise but that is all i know of them) jumped a neighbours fence and killed all three of her little dogs. she rang the police who told her it happened in business hours so it is not their problem but councils, council just laughed at her, no one cares. just makes me so mad, no wonder people snap and become crazy, in her position i would be a nut case.
poor kash, nasty experience for her, poor baby. i tell you what, i have come very close to assulting someone in this situation before, it is so hard not to slog them up the side of the head, i say it would be self defense as you were not sure if she would bit like her dogs (not very legal i dont think). poor kash, give her a big hug from us here,
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM

I hope and pray Kash is ok...I do hope and you find out who it is and have the proper authorities investigate.This is what causes certain breeds to have a black mark against them.
This is not the dogs fault but the owners.

DeerClan
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:14 PM

Too bad, incidents like this make people dislike certain breeds, instead of certains types of dog owners. Many people see Pit Bulls, Rotties, Mastiffs, Boxers... and automatically assume that the dogs are aggressive, when they might not be. Dog ownership is a BIG responsability, you have to make sure that other people feel SAFE around your dog NO MATTER WHAT! Knowing that you dog cannot be left off lead is important! If you're not sure DON'T let him loose.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

there are never any bad dogs, just bad dog owners.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy ****...I just got back from a walk with Brick and....this story fits in with this topic. We were walking along and a lady and a white shep X came towards us, she was on leash and so was Brick, and the lady told me that her dog was a puppy and very excited to meet other dogs. So I let them sniff each other, yada yada yada.....then all of a sudden that dog started biting and attacking Brick. This woman had NO control over him at all. Brick just looked at the dog like she was crazy (HE who could take on the world..LOL). When I tried to keep walking away, she would come closer, then the dog would attack again. I straight out told the lady to keep her dog under control. Then she has the balls to tell me where she lives and next time I'm out for a walk to come and get her and the dog so they can walk with us!! LMFAO.... I don't think so lady........nice try but I want my dog socializing with friendly dogs, not irrate unpredictable things, and with owners who can control their dogs!! GRRRRRRRRRR
I couldn't believe she had the gall to say that! I was soooo very proud of Brick for not getting into it with this dog - he's such a good boy!!!

As for the dog parks, I'm starting to go less and less - same reasons as you guys. Its not my dog, its all the other idiots who call themselves owners. It's really sad because Brick LOVES the river and that is where the off leash area is...... and he LOVES to chase his ball....he is sooooo fast!!! I go when I suspect it won't be so busy, and I try to keep him in an area where there aren't many dogs. We walk quite a ways down stream so he can play in the water without being disturbed.

It always seems that the other dogs are the ones instigating it - Brick just wants to play with his ball, and not other dogs. They keep bugging and bugging him and finally he gives in and gives them a piece of his mind. Poor unsociable Brick...LOL!!! Gotta love him though!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Ok so I think we've figured out who this lady is after asking aorund - need to be sure though as dont want ot go accusing innocent people...anyway got a few people keeping a look out for me. Back at the vets tonight - her nose is looking a bit angry, poor little baby. I do hope she is not affected by this happening to her.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt31
As for the dog parks, I'm starting to go less and less - same reasons as you guys. Its not my dog, its all the other idiots who call themselves owners.
Yup there are dog people... then there are people who own dogs... big difference.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope Kash is ok too!! How traumatizing for a pup!!! Find that lady and kick her butt!!! LOL

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wow Catt, did you ever see her before?

Think the dogs are around the same age, I wonder what set him off?
I assume he's a big boy and just kept pulling on her (prob should use a gentle leader...)

You never know what to expect from a strange dog. Sometimes the owners are even confused as to whey their dogs act a certain way.

Oddly enough, many times I have noticed something in the demeanor of a dog when I approach and just have a feeling from it's stance and body language that it may not be a good situation.

Sometimes you have to read their dogs for them.... and cross the street!
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope never seen her before in my life!! Crazy woman!!!! The dog she had was a bit smaller than Brick and I would guess about a year old at the most. I'm wondering if maybe she hadn't been spayed yet.....but that doesn't really make sense cuz Brick is neutered?!?!??!! I dunno what set her off, crazy mutt!!! LOL I made sure on my route home I stayed off that street going past her house....didn't want her to let her dog out to "play".

She had ZERO control of the dog, and I thought about suggesting a gentle leader to her AFTER I walked away (don't you hate when you think of the perfect thing to say after the situation has passed??) Next time I see them I will bee line it around a corner or something!! LOL

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN: