Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Question NOISY puppy!

I made a post a while ago about my aopted puppy from the SPCA and suspected aggression issues.

She is now a sweet doggy at 1 year, but she's really vocal if you move her out of a spot she is sleeping in. If you sit down on the couch and have to move her over she growls really loudly as she moves over...She ususally gets up on her own and moves out of your way. She doesn't bite or anything when she does it. She very loudly complains if you take her spot. Aside from being scary if you wake up to it because you accidentally rolled onto her at night, is this something i should be concerned with?

Like i said, she doesn't bite or fuss physically if you push her out of the way, she just growls. Usually she doesn't even curl her lips up, she just makes a lot of noise about it.

I honestly think this is just her personality, but i want to ask for outside opinions because i may just be trying to HOPE it's not aggression.

She also does this when she is on lead and sees another dog, she whines and growls and pulls. She's never fought with a dog, she LOVES them and it seems as if she is doing it because she's excited and frustrated she can't go see. Alot of people roll their eyes when i tell them she is friendly and loves other doggy friends.

I understand this frustration can lead to misplaced agression, perhaps she will bite me or my fiance when she can't get to see the other dog.

what can i do for calming techniques?
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM

He he Jemma is noisy. But I still am careful with her when she's growly like that. She gets crabby at night, but I'm still firm with her. Instead of moving her, I ask her to move wherever I want her to. She still knows "no growling" means stop making any and all noise though.

You have to make sure that your dog knows you are the alpha. Growling in some contexts is telling you what to do and you don't do what your dog orders you to do. You know? In Jemma's case, it's really just crabbiness and she knows that at the end of the conversation, she'll be where I want her to be. But if it's a challenge and you side-step it, the doggy wins.
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM

totally. I can just tell her to stop it and she stops growling and moving and....pretty much everything.

She's such a smart little spitfire though, hehe. She's got respect, but with a touch of sass. She doesn't growl or snarl about food, she whines when luna steals her toys. Luna is her superior and usually just takes her toys on principle, so Suzie sneaks up and lays really close to the toy as Luna is playing, and then whe luna isn't looking she takes it and runs like hell. I kinda feel bad for her, she has to wait to eat, gets treats last, and has to hide to eat them cuz luna will eat hers REALLY fast then steal suzies... But i'd rather not confuse their rank, so unless they start a fight i usually stay out of it.

dogs are so fun.
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM

My doggies know now not to touch each other's stuff. If I say "It's for Boo" and the treat lands in front of Jemma, she won't eat it (99% of the time) and same for Boo. They were getting too angry when the other one stole their food..
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM

oh and if she stays growly, you might end up with a lot of pics like this:
Attached Images

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but she's really vocal if you move her out of a spot she is sleeping in. If you sit down on the couch and have to move her over she growls really loudly as she moves over...
Get her off the furniture. She needs to learn the furniture is yours, and she may NOT get on it unless you invite her. One growl and she's off again.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM

yes, i agree we definitley will start making sure she asks before she gets on the couch. My older dog always asks before hand. So we'll just use the same attitude with Suzie.

I remember reading somewhere that Pitbulls have a slower maturity rate than other dogs, and I've noticed that in some areas she is really catching onto the whole pecking order thing (ie: picking up stuff that isn't hers and letting me go through doorways first etc) but it's just the couch thing that she's confused about.

Thanks for the tips!
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM

I have a grawly dog too! If Shadow is not making noise then I get worried! She growls and makes crazy wierd noises when she plays, when she's happy, when she drinks and eats, and especially when she is excited. If she was younger I would change her name to chewy (Chewbacca from star wars) that is exactly what she sounds like. But there is a huge difference between her everything growl and her "Im pissed off" growl. Even when shes right mad at my little Pom, she is still very gentle when she tells him to get away/off of her!!!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM

yea for sure.

teehee, Suzie definitely is more vocal than my Luna... Luna is practically mute. If i ever find her barking more than once, there is always a good reason. She's a good guard dog.

Suzie is too, but she is almost more intimidating than luna... Today the dogs were tied outside the 711 while i went in and grabbed a couple things and they're always good. So i was worried when i heard Suzie giving me her "SOMETHING'S WRONG" bark. So i passed my stuff to my sister and checked, and there was some guy whistling and yelling at her from his car. He was all interested in her because she's a pittie.

I went back in and sent my sister to stay with them...