Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Post The color of a cat's eyes??

Hi,

I was just wondering how you can determine what breed your cat is? Can you tell from the color of their eyes or fur? Please respond ASAP.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

It usually goes by the fur and the colour of it....

Example:

Brown,white black is usually a Calico

Silver w/black stripes is a Tabby....You can also have Orange with darker orange stripes.

Black/brown could be a Tortie

Except for white cats....It is a white gene that takes over.It's not really classified as a colour..They are more or less considered as a domestic....

Hope this helps...

Do you have one that you are not sure what he/she is?
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure what you mean but of course there are many different breeds and their fur is part of determining what breed they are.
If you know nothing about cats,I suppose it's difficult for you to say whether they are Siamese or Himalayan cats or just an ordinary sweet House-cat.
You could post a picture and we could probably tell,if you are wondering about your own cat.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

There are some purebred cats that have ONLY a certain eye colour. For example, Siamese always have blue eyes, and Russian Blues must have green eyes, but mixes of these and other breeds can have different coloured eyes, so it's very hard to tell what a cat is mixed with.(if it's mixed)
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Color of cat's eyes??

Hi,
Thanks for the info. My cat is orange with darker orange stripes, but his eyes are a golden color, and someone told me that just normal domestic cats all have green eyes, so I was wondering if he's some kind of mix.......

You can check out his website at http://www.pets.ca/petsites/viewpet.php?petid=2022, and my other cat, Silver, which I think is part persian, it would be great if you could confirm this, her id is 2023.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

ADB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
It usually goes by the fur and the colour of it....

Example:

Brown,white black is usually a Calico

Silver w/black stripes is a Tabby....You can also have Orange with darker orange stripes.

Black/brown could be a Tortie

Except for white cats....It is a white gene that takes over.It's not really classified as a colour..They are more or less considered as a domestic....

Hope this helps...

Do you have one that you are not sure what he/she is?
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Your Tigger is a domestic shorthair - orange tabby, and Silver appears to be a domestic longhair, but certainly could have a bit of Persian in there somewhere. "Normal" domestic cats can have green or yellow eyes that don't indicate any particular breed. Some Persians have very orange eyes that you do not see in regular DSH/DLH.

They are very pretty!!
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

One thing I know,they are beautiful cats... Domestic cats have either green or yellow eyes,I have a white cat with one blue and one yellow eye,sometimes the yellow one looks green.My other two DSH also have yellowish green eyes.Your orange Tabby has wonderful colouring..
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Smile Thanks LuckyRescue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Your Tigger is a domestic shorthair - orange tabby, and Silver appears to be a domestic longhair, but certainly could have a bit of Persian in there somewhere. "Normal" domestic cats can have green or yellow eyes that don't indicate any particular breed. Some Persians have very orange eyes that you do not see in regular DSH/DLH.

They are very pretty!!

Thanks for the info. LuckyRescue....They are beautiful cats aren't they. Well, Tigger is the only one living with me.....Silver lives with my dad. I am considering getting a brother or sister for Tigger so he's not so lonely daytime while we work. Any recommendations.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Thanks Chico2!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
One thing I know,they are beautiful cats... Domestic cats have either green or yellow eyes,I have a white cat with one blue and one yellow eye,sometimes the yellow one looks green.My other two DSH also have yellowish green eyes.Your orange Tabby has wonderful colouring..
Hi Chico,

Thanks for the info. They are both really beautiful cats, but then again, I think all cats are beautiful creatures. Tigger is the only one living with me, I am thinking about getting him a brother or sister, any recommendations?

ADB
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definetly get another cat for your Tigger,personally I never had just one cat.To introduce a new cat to Tigger,will involve patience and some hairy moments But ultimatly you'll end up with two happy cats keeping each other company.
I've never tried introducing an adult new cat,always kittens,but there are thousands of un-happy adult cats in shelters waiting for you to come and get them
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

GRRRRRRR...I hate my computer...When I click on the link,or any link it crashes...So I can't see what your babies look like.....

As for getting another,sounds like a great idea...

I have just adopted a little sister for my 8 month old kitten...She is 8 weeks old....You can see her pretty face in the post called "I'm a new Mom"....

We haven't done the formal introduction yet.I have had her(Winnie) in the carrier and have let Casper come up to her...Casper is a bit aggressive.We can't seem to curb his attacking and biting..Casper is also deaf...That is another thing with white cats with blue eyes,they are prone to being deaf.....We adopted him at 8 weeks...And found out 2 weeks later he was deaf...BUT there was no way we were bringing him back....

How old is Tigger?
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM

For Mona B

HI Mona,

I think I will get a baby kitten for Tigger....he has liked every cat he has come in contact with so far, he tries to be friends with all of them, so I don't think there will be a problem. He's about 10 months old. He's a very active cat, he runs across the apartment and jumps up the walls for no reason......and he loves playing fetch...I throw his mice and he runs and gets them and brings them back to me........

ADB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
GRRRRRRR...I hate my computer...When I click on the link,or any link it crashes...So I can't see what your babies look like.....

As for getting another,sounds like a great idea...

I have just adopted a little sister for my 8 month old kitten...She is 8 weeks old....You can see her pretty face in the post called "I'm a new Mom"....

We haven't done the formal introduction yet.I have had her(Winnie) in the carrier and have let Casper come up to her...Casper is a bit aggressive.We can't seem to curb his attacking and biting..Casper is also deaf...That is another thing with white cats with blue eyes,they are prone to being deaf.....We adopted him at 8 weeks...And found out 2 weeks later he was deaf...BUT there was no way we were bringing him back....

How old is Tigger?
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww,he sounds like a sweetie.....

One way or another,I will find a way to look at the link you posted.....
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Smile Cats and eye coloration

Eye color is genetically related to coat color.
Pointed cats always have blue eyes.
White cats, and cats with a lot of white markings, can have:
blue eyes green, gold, or copper eyes or "odd-eyes" (one blue eye and one green or gold eye)!
Other cats can only have green, gold, or copper eyes, not blue eyes. The most common eye colors are in the middle of the eye color spectrum (greenish-yellow to gold). The colors at the ends of the eye color spectrum (deep green or brilliant copper) are usually seen only in purebreds who have been selectively bred for extreme eye color, but they may sometimes appear in non-purebreds.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

woodbyter,what do you mean by pointed?

If you are talking about ears,that's not true.If your talking about noses,that's not true either.

I know of many Perisians with neither and they have blue eyes.

My Casper has neither pointed ears or a nose and he has blue eyes.
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Mona, he means pointed purebreds, like Siamese, Himalayan, etc, who have colour "points" - Sealpoint, Lynx point, chocolate point and so on.

Only purebreds have these points, and all these cats must have blue eyes.

Your Casper is a DSH, and the combination of deafness, blue eyes and white coat often go together.
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM

http://www.fanciers.com/other-faqs/color-genetics.html

I found this site right after we got KC and I thought it was very interesting. It doesn't so much talk about breeds as coloring and genetics. Very interesting just the same, especially if you have an inquisitive mind.
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:35 AM

http://www.fanciers.com/breeds.html

Here is a page from the same site about breeds. Lots of info here.
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

OHHHHHHH,Ok.

Thanks LR...
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Talking Woody's Cattery

About 10 years ago and for the 10 years prior to that I bred-owned and showed Birmans. Beautiful cats, great personality.
I got my start from the "Birman sisters" of Iowa and owned the first quad Blue Champion Birman "Danny Boy".
The Sacred cat of Burma is a wonderful animal however do require a lot of time to groom and show. I left showing cats and returned to rescue work in 1992

Last edited by woodbyter; May 10th, 2004 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling-fumble fingers