Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM

Dog eating dirt

My 9 year old dog, Cisco has recently began eating dirt when he never did before. We also think he may have lyphosarcoma and is going in next week for a blood test and biopsy. Anyone have any experience with either one of these?
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM

Lymphosarcoma or lyphosarcoma ??

Lymphosarcoma-depending on how advanced it is can be treated in early stages.

Lymphosarcoma Lymphoid tissue is normally present in many places in the body including lymph nodes, spleen, liver, gastrointestinal tract and bone marrow.
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Are you giving him any sort of supplements to boost his immunity?
He may feel he needs something 'mineral' wise to help him feel better thus the eating of the dirt. BUT I am speculating!
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM

Dog eating dirt

What sort of suppliment would you think would be good. I give him high quality dog food and he gets omega 6. He is just having diagnostic stuff done, but am very concerned about the dirt. He seems to be trying to fix himself. I am so worried and want to do the best thing for my beloved pet.
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Have you considered giving him some home made food? Good fresh quality food instead of preserved dog food? This will def boost his immunity for sure.

Shark Cartlidge has been documented in many studies as an immune system booster since sharks are immune to almost every disease known to man. It would probably do good. I know I read some articles about it being used to strengthen a dogs immunity esp when they've been diagnosed with a cancer.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:07 AM

Dog eating dirt

No, but I certainly will try it. That would be Glucosamine Chrondroitin or Glucosamine Sulfate which I have on hand. I do give salmon oil capsules and add vitamin c to the home made dog treats, but maybe I should give him all the suppliments that I take for boosting my system. No, haven't tried home made dogfood but bought some brown rice to make some already. What sort of dosage fro the shark cartilage, the same as human or 1/2??
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How much does your dog weigh?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

Dog eating dirt

He weighs 75#.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I haven't found anything specific on any search I just did on google, but I may not be looking in the right spot.

From what I have read, it seems that some recommendations are 750mg to 1000 mg a day. Larger breeds seemingly can have up to 2000mg a day or more.

If I find anything more specific I will let you know. Your vet may have supplements in pet dosages. OR find a holistic vet near you, they will sell them to you over the counter and give the appropriate advise.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:22 PM

While we are on the topic of dog food, I thought I'd ask a question. A friend of mine told me that every now and again they give their dog some salmon from a can if they don't finish it.
I did this with Bob yesterday(about half a can), and I think the absolute pure protein threw his guts off a bit. Protein takes so much more water to digest than any other nutrient. Took him out for a walk today and when he took a dump, it was so dry that some of it literally crumbled to powder. By the end of the walk, he'd taken his third!!! and things were "back to normal" as they say. Drinking water, and eating this morning per usual so things seem alright.
I did get him a new smokey bone yesterday, perhaps that had something to do with it?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats odd! Personally I 've never had a similar experience with salmon.
It is very very good for them. Sadie has salmon, sardines or mackeral atleast once a week.

Why don't you try it again in a few days, just as a test. Take a couple tablespoons and mix it with the food.

That should probably give you your answer I would think.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:38 PM

Yeah, he seems ok. It just sort of freaked me out a bit at first. You know when they find their spot to poo and you end up with nothing else to do but see what comes out, well at first a bit came out like powder in an hour glass! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. His GSD'ness usually means sort of solid, but not much. Then about 100 feet down the road, he takes another. Same thing. These things were dry as a bone! From a picking up standpoint, I thought I'd gone to heaven. By the third, things looked more solid and held together a bit more. I think he just got a bit dehydrated because it was very hot here yesterday, and then the salmon on top of that. First time he's eaten it too. He certainly like it that's for sure.
I will try it again soon though, just to see if a similar result occurs. I'll also "keep an eye out" for how things "pass" today.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I love your puns!

I can imagine your thoughts every time you had to reopen the bag (if you didn't have others with you)!

You can give him some rice or boiled potatos to help firm the stools if you like.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:14 PM

Well, I found out what it was. Smokey bones. Just took him for another walk, and he laid out a monstrous poop that was almost back to normal. As an aside, my friends dog leaves these little things that are nice and tiny and easy to pickup like little smarties. They always laugh when we walk Bob and their pooch first thing in the morning and he drops three different massive piles, which I am graced with picking up.
Ran into someone I know and they said it was likely the smokey bone and had nothing to do with the salmon. They said that smokey bones have lots of salt in them? I didn't know that! I don't like that very much! Hmph.

Anyhoo, I was at an art opening last night and ran into a bunch of dog owning friends. We were chatting about the dogs and a non dog owner came up to us laughing. She said she always finds in interesting that we talk so much about dogs generally, and dog poop specifically. Thing is that dog poop in my opinion is generally a great indicator of the health of the beast. Plus when you have to pick up something three to four times a day, and scavenge for bags off friends all the time it becomes a significant part of your day!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well we know where that bone is going!!

Glad you found out what was causing the loss of intestinal control in Bob!