Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old December 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Albert's mommy

Nothing like a well dressed baby

Ok I admit it, I am looking for a Fendi or Burberry collar/leash for Albert. Hey, if mommy wears desinger why can't he??? Well, I came across this site in my search and got a kick out of it. I would never do this to my baby, some of these are just too much. Have you guys heard of belly bands????

http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/patrons.htm

Enjoy! If anyone knows where I can get REAL designer doggie wear..please let me know!
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I looked at the pics and could not figure out what the heck those bands were for...other than they looked like some sort of half-baked diaper. Looked it up online and sure enough, that's kind of what they do.

Didn't want to post a link to a site that sells these (don't want to break any rules), but here's a quote....

"A belly band, like a crate, is a training aid for male dogs who do “leg lifting exercises” in the house. They are not meant to be worn constantly as they are a tool to help the male dog realize that the house isn’t his potty place. Why does a bell band work? Most dogs do not like to be wet. If the dog decides to void in the home, the belly band works like a diaper. It will absorb urine."

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Oh, I can just see the rashes developing from those...
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Wow I'm kind of appalled actually, it's one thing to have to deal with incontinence or such but to willingly use this as a housebreaking tool?? Some of those dogs look utterly humiliated
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
<-----nut ball

I think those dogs were just models, as the rescue sells them for support funds.
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Most unhappy lot of models I've ever seen. I have to side with Jawert on this....most of them looked down right miserable.

Old December 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Some of those dogs look utterly humiliated
That's the point. Adult male dogs marking in the house are a serious problem, and a belly band is a good way to solve it! Better than "getting rid of" the dog.

This is NOT a housetraining tool, but to be used on adult dogs who are housetrained, but continue to mark territory in the house.

It usually doesn't take long for them to decide to stop the peeing.

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; December 6th, 2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:44 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Except how does one distinguish between marking in the house and potentially serious bladder and/or kidney issues? If someone has a dog with issues like my Simon's where he's having accidents, but wasn't an overly hyper dog mom, couldn't they conceivably put something like this on them and then miss the underlying problem entirely? I'm a firm believer that dogs don't *just* mark in the house because it suits them - in fact, I don't believe that dogs *just* do anything for the heck of it. This seems rather medieval in a day and age when you've got wonderful health and training resources - paid and free (like this site) and yet one would have to resort to something as barbaric as essentially tying a dog's penis to it's belly. Normally I'm right there with ya LR, but this time I have to respectfully disagree

Last edited by jawert1; December 6th, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM

I know- how do you know the dog won't hold it to the point of damaging his kidneys? I know Boo eats a TON of snow sometimes and two hours later, if I don't notice, he'll go... But I couldn't imagine that much in his bladder and him not being able to do anything about it.

Like any training tool, belly bands can be abused unbelievably.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course any dog who suddenly starts urinating in the house should be checked for any bladder/urinary tract infection or problems.

An adult, housetrained male dog who is taken out regularly and has been checked and cleared of any problem yet is lifting his leg on the furniture is usually marking territory - not to be confused with lack of housetraining.

This problem is much more common with intact males.

This is a very stubborn problem and can be hard to overcome. A belly band put on after the dog is walked and has emptied his bladder is not inhumane. A dog will usually only pee once or twice with it on to learn not to do it. The dog just feels "Ewww, I peed on myself" and never connects you with this. The wet band need not be left on very long, just long enough for the dog to connect his peeing with his discomfort. 15 minutes would probably do it.

Like anything else, this must be done humanely and used for THIS problem and no other. If properly used, a belly band is certainly more humane than yelling, hitting, caging, tying the dog outside or dumping it - all of which are done way too often.
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
If properly used
This is the key phrase here. I'm sure some people would leave it on all day...
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Would these be useful if the dog is incontinent? My cousin's dog, a chocolate lab, and the biggest mush you've ever seen, is rather incontinent. He doesn't deliberately go in the house, he just dribbles a bit.

He's old. I think he's 14 which is ancient for that breed isn't it? Well he's half blind and half deaf, his bottom is droopy and he's moving rather slowly. But aside from old age he's not in pain or ill health. His family loves him. He does spend a few hours alone some days and I'm wondering if the belly band would work in his situation or if that would just be uncomfortable for him? Maybe better than lying where he piddled when he's alone? Or perhaps just when they have company to keep people from slippping in Boston's puddles?

But if it's something that dogs hate I wouldn't want to subject poor Bo to another indignity.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:20 PM

I don't think it would be a good idea for incontinence (more like torture). It's meant to shock the doggy into not peeing in the house by pressing the pee against the doggy's body. It's not like a diaper. Maybe there are doggy diapers out there for elderly babies, but belly bands aren't it.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Then these would definitely not be right for Boston. Poor old boy does not need any discomfort. He's a beautiful dog that some idiot turned in to a shelter. I can't even IMAGINE why. The sweetest temperament and disposition in the world.

But if it's a shock treamtment type of thing how would I figure out my husband's size ?? (just kidding !)
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM

LOL Should be the same size as his pants...
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

So I should request a toy breed size for hubby then?
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Roflmao!!!!