Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM

New here and looking for a small-med dog

Hi, I am glad that I found this forum.
My family is looking for a small to medium dog that is under 5 years old or so.
Has to be good with kids and cats. I know I am asking a lot!
In return we have a house with a fenced in yard.
Someone is always home.
The dog won't be left outside ever and we will give it lots of excercise and love.
I have been looking through petfinder.ca and all the animal aid and rescue group websites in my area and have not been able to find one that is good with cats and kids.
I would not buy my dog at a pet store or through a breeder. I really want to give a home to a dog in need.

I would appreciate any help in finding this dog.

Thank you,

Kathie
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Would help if you told us in which area of Ontario you live - particularly for those involved in rescue. I am assuming you would want to meet the dog first. Ontario is BIG! As for the cats, well, sometimes they throw the first punch. I did enjoy the Polaroid commercial of a few years ago that showed the cat causing all sorts of trouble for which the dog was blamed, until the dog took a Polaroid as evidence. I have such a cat.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM

I live in Halton Region but I am willing to travel an hour either way to meet prospective pets. Obviously I would like to test them for aggressive behaviour before bringing them home. My sister rescues dogs in California and has instructed me how to do this.

My kids are used to animals. We take neighbors pets for walks. I am sure the cats will be ok. They have each other and are very happy, very friendly.

-Kathie
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:40 PM

This might be a stretch but couldn't your sister adopt a suitable doggy for you and send it up? Since she knows you and she knows doggies, she might be best at deciding who is right for you. Sometimes it's hard to know what dog you are getting, even with foster homes, and since you're looking for something very specific, it might be an idea...
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Thanks for your idea but

When I moved from Vancouver to Halton my father did not want me showing up at his house with my two cats. He is anti-cat. The house I bought was not ready yet so I had to stay with him for two weeks.
It crossed my mind to leave my cats in Vancouver with a friend for two weeks and then have her put them on a plane for me. I could never leave my babies for longer.
Well all the airlines I called said they would not send pets with no owner on board.
Apparently people have used them to send drugs. I did not want to ask for details. They were adament they would not send the cats alone.
Anyways if you are wondering what I did with my cats.....it was my birthday so my sister in California sent me some money. I bought a big cage and at night I made a lovely home for my cats in it. They stayed in my dads backyard. During the day for those two weeks they were running around in his backyard. When he was not home, in his basement. They are indoor cats now but at that time coming from Vancouver I did not know where else to put them. For the two of them it was going to be expensive to put them in a pet motel and I did not have the funds. It was summer and they were content. It did not rain but had it they would have been very protected not a drop of rain would have gotten on them.
The irony is that now that I am looking to get a dog, that same cage will probably be used to crate train it if necessary. This time inside my house!

Thanks for your idea but I don't think the airlines would allow it and my sister mostly rescues big dogs.

-Kathie
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiez
Thanks for your idea but I don't think the airlines would allow it and my sister mostly rescues big dogs.

-Kathie
Actually, they will. I (unfortunately, and much to my own chagrin) have to send my dog on an airplane without me (I'm really not pleased about this, but I have exhasted all resources, and there is just no other options) Airlines are quite willing to take a dog of any size in heated cargo without an owner on board. I know a lot of people don't like flying dogs, but it is an option.
Alternatively, a plane isn't the only option, there are ways to drive dogs up, it just takes some organization and planning.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:20 PM

How did Joey's mom get Joey? Didn't he get flown from Alaska or something?
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I stay in Halton Hills to. Have you tried the Humane Society in Ballinafad. Close to Erin. Here is the link. http://www.uppercredit.com/
I am sure they can help you there.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Prin=
Quote:
How did Joey's mom get Joey? Didn't he get flown from Alaska or something?
Yes Joey was flown to Vancouver from Alaska. We were on the rescue list for an English Cocker. Most of the dogs were actually in the eastern us, and we were hoping to find one a bit closer. After inquiring about a few dogs. The co-ordinater of the rescue thought that we would be a suitable family for Joey. She contacted Joeys owner and Joeys former owner contacted us. We started ex-changing emails, we called her the same night to talk to her. The next few days we made arrangements for him to flown to Vancouver and now her he is.
http://www.ecsca.org/rescuehome.html

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!

Last edited by Joey.E.CockersMommy; November 6th, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM

But did he fly alone or with a person?
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Personal servant to Joey

He flew alone. It was a direct flight, so didn't have to worry about him missing a connection. Thats why we had to drive 6 hours to Vancouver to get him. If your going to fly a dog/pet I would try to fly direct even if it means you have to drive to get them. IMO I don't know if the airlines will do connecting flights with pets or not.

Old November 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
It was a direct flight, so didn't have to worry about him missing a connection.
I know, it's hard enough to find your way through airports even when you can read English...

But you basically showed the OP that you can get a doggy flown in if the rescue really thinks you are the absolute right home for the doggy.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM

airline

I don't know what happened when I called the charter airlines. They definitely told me they did not fly pets alone. They stated the drug issues.
I will call them to confirm. I am not talking about a rescue group getting a pet for someone I was referring to my own pet moving with me just at a later date.

Anyways, I might be getting a puppy retriever mix, 2 months old. I was sent an application from the rescue group and on Saturday they are coming to my house.
This dog is very adorable. Wish me luck. It is exactly what I have been looking for.

If we are successful that dog will get so much love. :love: I will post back for advice because if successful I will be a newbie dog owner.

Thank you,

Kathie
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey flew Air Canada Cargo you could call them. I know some airlines will fly pets alone and others will not.

Good luck with you potential puppy. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Old November 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM

The puppy is coming from Greece!!

The puppy arrives from Greece on November 26th. 3 month old Retreiver mix.

I would recommend this organization for anyone looking to save a dog's life.
http://www.garcanada.bizland.com/
In Greece the qovernment does not give any money to animal aid organizations, they rely heavily on donations.

I tried really hard to find a dog here, looking through petfinder.com religiously and visiting pounds but I could never find a dog that was good with kids and cats that was still available. There were some but other families always got to them before me.

In the end I did find my dog through petfinder.com, the dog was listed here in Ontario since GAR Canada is a Toronto Organization.

I will be needing a lot of advice, so glad this website is here.

Attached Images

Old November 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM

What a cutie! I hope you'll have a camera ready for the 26th... You'll have to post tons of pics of that little one. Congratulations!