Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 10th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Getting dogs used to a new kitten

Hi all,

This is my first post, but a very important one. My daughters were just given a new kitten, a VERY CUTE one, lol. Well my dogs are not very social with cats and I would like them to be able to get along. Now for a little background,

My dogs are 9 years old, a lab mut and a rotti. The kitten is 11 wks old. She came from a home that has large dogs, but seems frightened of my dogs.

Any ideas on how I can make them all friends? I really want to be able to keep her.

Thanks for the help,
Amanda
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:57 PM

There's good news, and there's bad news. You can't make pets be friends... There, that's the bad news out of the way. Now for the good stuff. There is a good chance that with lots of supervised visits to make sure things don't get out of control, that you'll be able to teach to the dogs not to chase the cat in the house, and that the cat, being able to jump higher than the dogs, will be able to escape should the situation require it.

If I were you, I'd put the kitten in a carrier and let the dogs smell until they get bored... Your dogs are older, so the novelty will wear off quickly. Over time, the kitten will explore (The ones we've brought home prefer to do so under the cloak of darkness) and will also get tired of the dogs. At the end of the day, they may not be best buds, but they should be able to stand being in the same room together. The only thing you really have to worry about is how high (if any) of a prey drive either dog has and teach them that kitty cat does not equal dinner.

Might also want to keep an eye on the litter box, if your dogs have never seen one, they might want to try snacking on the kitty-crunchies!
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM

My household once consisted of 4 cats and three dogs. Three of the 4 cats arrived before the dogs and one cat after the first dog.

The most important thing to start with is to ensure that the kitten has a safe space away from the dogs. I have a 4 inch hook on the basement door, this allows the cat (I only have one remaining) to have a space where he can go to be away from the dog (this is a dog that is fairly new to the household). It is also important that the litter pan is in this space, particularly if you use clumping letter. If the dog cleans the litter pan for you which many dogs do, the litter can cause blockages in the dogs stomach.

The most important commands to use when the dogs are around the cat are "leave" as in leave the cat alone and "gentle" as in be gentle with the cat. You can also put a leash on the dogs when introducing them to the cat, if they become excited or their behaviour is aggressive, firmly tell the dog to leave and move it away with the leash.

As was said in a previous post they may never like each other, but should learn to tolerate each other. This is a process that will take several months, it will not happen overnight. You may be surprised and they will take to each other, I have seen that happen as well.

Lola is not friendly with outside cats but is ok and wants to play with and chase Scamp. He does not appreciate it, so she is told to leave him and be gentle with him.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Excellent advice LoNScamp!

Enjoy your new kitten and keep him safe at all times. Welcome to the board mdy459!