Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM

Anyone have a house trained dog who insists on peeing your bed!

I am new here and wondered if anyone had the same problem. My little guy, is a 4yr old, male and neutered Chihuahua. He is house trained, although when he is alone for a long while, does have accidents, that is understandable. However, if left on his own for any length of time, even say for 1/2 an hour, he will go into my bedroom and pee on my bed! All the time. This is getting so annoying as I don't always discover his present to me until bedtime and then I am there changing sheets . I am wearing out my bedlinens by washing them constantly.

I have no idea of what to do. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM

My cousin's pug does this... They have to keep the door to their bedroom shut.. I don't know how to fix it.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

A small gate on your bedroom door will solve that problem. Also, you could confine him in a small x-pen while you're out.

My housetrained dog did pee on my bed a few times, but I traced it to the fact that my niece had slept in that bed with her rather strong smelling ferret. I washed all the bedding and kept my dog out of the room for a period of time and it never happened again.

Just be glad he's not a St.Bernard.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:56 PM
-

What are you doing to remove the scent from your mattress and bedding?
The bed is one place in the house that has a lot of scent to it. I don't want this to sound gross but you sweat there and may do other things. Your dog may have been left one time too long and seeked out an acceptable place to go. The bed would have been the closest choice. If all the scents were not removed properly it continues to be a good choice for them.
As Prin said, keep the dog out of the bedroom, close the door. You will also need to get an enzymatic solution the remove all the smells.

Last edited by StaceyB; October 1st, 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Is your comforter 'down'? Animals notoriously soil on down comforters and pillows. We had to get rid of all of our down and go to synthetics because it was a problem for one cat.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Peeing

My duvet is not down....it is synthetic filled. I do keep a baby gate in front of my bedroom door when I am at work; it's when I go into the room and forget the gate that he sneaks in and does his thing. He'll do it even when we are at home.

My daughter had mentioned that I am not getting the odour out completely and that he thinks to go there because he can smell himself. What do I use to take the smell out of my mattress?

Chimum
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
-

It depends on how many times he has gone there. You can soak down the area with enzyme cleaner, natures miracle, simple solution. Treat the area and let it naturally dry. It may take a week or so. If this doesn't remove it all you may need to treat both sides of the mattress or get a new one. After this I would get a protective cover for the mattress. Your bedding can be pre treated with the cleaner and then washed in washer with more. Get a large jug, you will need it. It has the directions for uses on it.

Don't retreat the area as it dries.

Last edited by StaceyB; October 3rd, 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi, a couple suggestions,
a fully housetrained dog shouldnt have "accidents" when left home alone for even 5-6 hours. (My 3 yr old female Chi goes sometimes 8 hours in the house alone and never has an accident)
Have you ruled out any kind of bladder or urinary tract infections?
When you go out of the house for any amount of time, put him into his dog carrier/crate thing. Dont let him have the run of the house. He will not pee in a crate with himself.
A great product that removes animal odors totally and is safe for all fabrics is called Folex, its available in most department stores, I get mine at Canadian Tire. Just spray it on, agitate with your finger, wait 30 minutes, and sop up.
Works great. I have tried lots of other products, like "Natures Miracle" which is just garbage. Folex is the best.
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I will go to Cdn Tire and find some Folex. I have tried the crate with him; no luck and he does pee in it . He was drenched! I gave up on that. I have tried to keep him just in one room; he turns into Hoodini! I gave up on that too and do keep a gate in front of my door but every now and then I forget; oops.

I hope just treating everything with the Folex will work.
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM
-

Unfortunately it will help but it won't stop the behaviour. How big was the crate compared to the size of the dog and how long was he left in each time.