Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

SOOOOOOO true LR.Or as they call it"private breeder"or no this one,"hybred"...That's what they are calling them in the pet store I go in to do my educating of puppy mills.

Your sooooooooo very welcome Catt.

You can thank LR for that site. ....She posted it quite a while ago.And trust me,I have used it sooooooooo many times.

aggie,I think the reason some don't understand is because of the word "breeder"...That's why they think all breeders are good.

Oh Catt,that one just brought tears to my eyes....
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Thanks to all of you who are giving out this info. I have known for some time now that puppies/kittens in petstores come from these horrible places-where else? They still have nerve to ask $800-1200 for a puppy? It breaks my heart to walk into these places and see this. Then after a week or 2 , these puppies are put on sale? I do not support petstores that sell animals like this. I do not buy from PJ Pets( in Edmonton, AB, canada) I am happy to see a number of petstores ( Petsmart, Petcetera) supporting local animal rescues by giving them time & space on a Sat afternoon( locally they let the greyhound rescue and a couple local rescues have space.) When my husband & I chose to get a dog, his dream breeed was a golden retriever. Yes, beautiful, typically good natured dog, but I have always been partial to Germ Shep as I grew up with a variety of GSD (crossed) So one sunny afternoon in Sept 1999 we wandered into our city animal shelter where I saw Casey-our name( GSD cross). At approx. 3 months old , she was sitting quietly amidst howling barking, adult dogs and something in her eyes said :" I am the one for you" She was and has been for almost 5 yrs. We were patient through her puppy growth, took puppy classes, went to the dog park so she could socialize with others and occassionally had to remind ourselves that if she got into something she shouldn't have, it was our fault for leaving it out and reachable. We laugh now at the chew marks on the remote and the missing cushion from an old chair. We are moving to an acreage and will look to getting her as friend. It will be an adoption from a shelter( sometimes, I look at purebred GSD and drool bit I would never trade Casey for anything). Probably a pup as I loved training ours.
Selene
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

It is horrible isn't it goodgirlcasey?

PJ's is pretty bad for it.I remember years ago going it there.They were selling a Shep/Collie for $899.Pretty pathetic wouldn't you say?

Do you have any pics of Casey?
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:09 AM

Here is her webpage

http://www.pets.ca/petsites/viewpet.php?petid=1568

I gave her lots of extra pets today after reading this stuff. We really love her!
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Casey is beautiful
5/5 from me
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW....

She is beautiful.I love the markings on her....
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree,one beautiful dog!!! 5/5 from me too
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree!! VERY beautiful!!!!

I went into Petland to check out their rescue dogs....they had 2 boston terrier TYPE puppies there. Soooo cute! We asked the girl working there if they were purebred and she said yes. I then proceeded to argue with her that why were they called TYPE breeds if they weren't purebred...she didn't have an answer!! I was livid! And, to top it all off....they were charging $1300 for a puppy!! WTF???????????

Then in another tiny little shell, they had 4 dogs, 2 were clearly shi tzu's and 2 were obviously not. I didnt know the breed for sure (they looked like Cairn Terriers) so I asked the same brilliant girl, and she said they were shi tzu's. I'm like...no they aren't, those two ARE, these two are NOT. She went back to their file and came out and said...yes they are shi tzu's. They were completely 2 VERY different dogs - one was short, other had long legs, one had wiry hair, other had soft curly hair......Any idiot can see the diff!!! GOD I was soooooooo mad!!!!!! This chick was a complete and total MORON!!!!!!

I think they were about to call security when we left cuz I was so irrate!! lmao Regardless, I will never go to Petland again, even to see the rescue puppies! Bunch of dorks!!!

K, I'm done venting!!! LMAO
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow,reading through all the BB posts took me a while
The picture of dog-dump is horrific,I should not have looked at it
I hate to admit it,but I did get Chico from the local Pet-store,since closed for violations,my then vet and HS were instrumental at closing the store down.The reason being,they kept half-grown puppies two to very small cages,did not check in on them holiday and week-ends..
Anyway,I went in to get something I had forgotten,it was Christmas time,saw this little black thing all alone in a cage,mistakingly I picked him up,he was purring sooo loud..
When I put him back in the cage he was crying,soo sad.I could still hear him as I left the store
Well,half an hour later I was back in the store,I just had to take him...he was a runt and would more than likely be dumped somewhere.
The store owner strangely upped the regular charge of $69 to $89 because it was a weekend.
I also knew where he came from,they lived just down the street from me,they got $10 for each kitten they produced and they produced many to subsidize their well-fare check.
They were eventually kicked out of their rented house,because of all their more or less wild cats.
In those days I was not as aware as I am today and fell hook line and sinker for this adorable lonely little kitten wanting to come home with me.
As for the animal-dump,I have all 4 of my departed cats buried in the backyard,little Cookie the last one to pass away I buried in the same place as Sammy since they grew up together,then there is Peppi and Blue.They are buried deep to keep any creatures from getting to them,but knowing they are in their much loved backyard gives a certain comfort to me.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Anita I don't blame you for taking Chico - I would have done the same thing. Our heads can't always rule our hearts.

Many many years ago when I moved away from home, I did get a kitten at a pet store. He was about 5 weeks old, screaming in terror and infested with fleas. He turned out to be one of the most beloved of all my cats.

I never go to pet stores anymore. Ours do NOT advocate or promote adoption and have no rescued pets on site and I don't want to see the byb bred puppies and kittens they are peddling.

OH, and Casey is a GORGEOUS dog!
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually Lucky,I don't think we have a"Pet-Store"that sells puppies and kittens in Oakville anymore,except for Pet-Smart who has cats from HS up for adoption.
I can't be 100% sure,since I,like you do not go into these stores anymore..
I buy my cat-food,birdseeds etc....from a store called Rens feed and pet-supply,an excellent store with whole-sale prices and knowledgable staff.
I also got Rocky from there(for free)he was part of a litter from a nearby farm,no,they do not sell kittens,he was just there for a visit and I begged to get him,he was such a beautiful little Tabby and I got him.
They also adopted 2 big cats from HS,who live in the store and have a ball with all the customers.When the store is closed they go home with the owner.
It's a wonderful caring place,a feel-good place for every animal-lover.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey thats a great job Oakville has done then ...wish I could say the same thing here! Disgusts me, BUT one dude moved his little dumpy store from Pickering to Scarborough because Pickering now has bylaw enforcment for pet stores that sell animals. He just moved so he wouldn't have to keep up with regulations.

Hey, Anita...you did the right thing
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Well the pet store at Limeridge Mall(where I do my educating people ) also has kittens there.And a few are not in the best shape.Kyra has learned alot from me.She spots it out right away.

Like I have said before.There has got to be a way to have a pet store banned from selling them.I still can't get that poor Collie pup out of my head.A bit smaller then your Sadie Luba.And it was held in a small area.

Hmmmmm,maybe I can take pics of all of them.Would they let me?Like I really care it they don't....LOL
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM

Thanks for all your compliments! She is a beautiful dog and so smart, somtimes I feel bad that I don't do enough to keep her entertained. She is also very loving and protective , which is something she was never taught. Is is weird to say I like her doggy smell? That I sometimes bury my face in her fur when I give her a hug? Whoa, wrong place to post!
LOL, so anyway............
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Goodgirl,no you are not any weirder than anybody else,I rub my hole face in my kitties fur and end up with a face-ful of hair,especially from Vinnie.
I look at the three of them,like right now,they are all sleeping here in the PC-room with me and I love them soo much(when they're sleeping!!)it hurts
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Been gone awhile and this board is busy!!
O.K to start I did not mean to offend breeders out there about making money. I really couldn't care less what you make, I was just stating what I have heard many many people say. This post was meant to show why there will be backyard breeders. As for the adoption process if they need to know that much info on me then I would like the same on them so I can see what kind of person is breeding my future pet.
As for me when I was looking for Abbey I had 2 choices, one was a lady who was definitely doing it for money. Needless to say I totally stayed away from her. But my guy was a very decent man.
He had both mom and dad, told me if I had any concerns or health problems I could bring her back, asked me quite a few questions about where she would be living, took my name and address, and when we were leaving insisted on giving me a half of a big bag of dog food for her. I was allowed to seperate the pups I wanted and spend as much time as I wanted in picking out my future baby.
So I'm sorry but he was a responsible backyard breeder.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba,where was that horrific picture from? I don't want to see any web-site,but where would they leave so many dead dogs lying around like that,was it at a HS,a vet or maybe some lab somewhere,it is a heartwrenching back to reality picture
All that love devotion and wagging tails just thrown on a dump:-(
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So I'm sorry but he was a responsible backyard breeder.
Really? What is his reason for breeding?
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Don't know,didn't ask. As I have stated before thought he was a responsible breeder didn't know how you caterorgized them back then. I'm assuming because he had 2 beautiful animals and loved the breed, but as I said I didn't ask.
As for breeding there are a lot of humans that reproduce that shouldn't but how are you going to stop them?
I absolutely agree that there are too many animals out there, but I didn't realize how bad I sounded until CJ Modisette came on line.
I won't behave like that anymore.
I would rather have people stay and hopefully convince them to spay and neuter than to get pissed off at them for whats already been done.
And I know in reality there are going to be backyard breeders no matter how upset I get about it.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Anita I stumbled onto it through a link that LR posted, one link leads to another and then whamo

It was actually a pound in the U.S I believe that delivered the dogs to the land fill.

Oh I dont' wanna think about that pup Mona...it makes me cry.