Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
<-----nut ball

whiteflies!!!

Anyone know a REAL remedy to whiteflies? I have tried everything. Insecticidal soap, regular soap, murphy's oil soap, I even got a spray with Pyroxin in it (the stuff in lice shampoo that kills the lice). I tried spraying all my plants in the shower even.

I am desperate. I have already lost my window box of naustersiums, and my box of herbs. I have 8 tropical plumeria plants that are pretty bad, and the whiteflies are sucking the life out of them so much that they are starting to go limp and fall over. These are plants I CANNOT replace easily in Canada. It cost me over $200 just to get the 8 I have already. Also, my rare tropical hibiscus is doing pretty bad as well.

I was told about Neem Oil, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know a garden centre that sells Neem Oil in or around the southern ontario region? I don't care how far. Anywhere from Oshawa to hamilton to barrie I will go. Or if someone knows where it is sold near them and wants to ship me some, I will pay for it (plus I send home made treats in return, just ask Prin).

PLEASE HELP ME! I am desperate. I don't want to loose my plumerias, as they are my memory of my trip to Hawaii with my BF. THese plants are what they make hawaiian leis out of. There are very few people that sell them in Canada, and to import, it's a minimum $50 per plant. Plus, 4 of the ones I have are unique as I grew them from seeds that were from Bali!
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't actually know if it works, but I have heard that spraying your plants with a mixture of water and canola oil works.
Worth a shot I guess
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM
-

Have you called a nursery yet?
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:19 PM
<-----nut ball

I called a few nurseries, and I have tried everything they suggested. Unfortunately, that stupid law in Ontario that bans all pesticides means I can't get anything systemic.

Someone suggested I get some ivermectin from a feed supply store, and mix it in with my watering, as it would travel through the plant and the bugs who suck on the plant would get it and die. Haven't tried that though, as I didn't think it would be safe.

The canola and oil is the same premise as the oil soaps, and soaps, in that they are supposed to "suffocate" the insects. The pyrethrin spray I had was canola and water based, and it didn't do much.

I have been spraying twice a week for months now, barely keeping it under control.

I have also tried pepper spray (red pepper/capsacin in water), didn't work. I have tried tobacco water (soaking smokes in water as nicotine causes insects to die), didn't work. I have tried EVERYTHING.

The only thing I am unable to try is leaving my plants outdoors for natural predators to get the bugs, as I'm in an apartment, and don't have an open balcony.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Do you smoke? or know anyone who does?

If you can get hold of a few cigarette butts (already smoked ones are best) put a bunch of them in a container with water (about 4 or 5 butts per cup of water) leave it overnight or until it turns a light tea colour. Put it in a spray bottle (butts removed) It makes a wonderful and affective pesticide!!

(Please test solution on a small part of the plant, to make sure it won't discolur it)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:34 PM
<-----nut ball

Happycats, that's what I did, except I didn't use butts. I was told just any regular cigarette is good, so I borrowed a couple off a friend. It didn't work, and I made a STONG batch.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM
-

I don't know if you tried this or not. My Dad is quite the garener and since he retired he took a PT job at a nursery. I asked him last night how to get rid of these things. He said to get Safers soap and a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the under side of the leaves. He also said that you should be able to pick it up at Canadian Tire.
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:32 PM
<-----nut ball

Already have safers soap (I assume he means Safer brand insecticidal soap). I tired that, and still it didn't work.

I bought the soap concentrate that you mix with water. I was using the recommended mix, spraying twice a week for a month. Would your dad know if I can increase the concentration or frequency? I was thinking of trying a strong spray daily for two weeks to see what happens. I was also thinking of cutting off all the leaves on the PLumeria which is ok for them, but I think the biggest problem is the hibiscus. It's 5 feet tall and got 100's of leaves, so it's really hard to spray.

I was actually thinking of getting one of those large mist pump sprayers and filling it up, since I have so many large plants (each plumeria is a 3 foot tall, 3 foot wide tropical type plant with large flat leaves), it would be easier than a small bottle, and I can just put them all in the tub and seriously coat them well.

Something like this:

Last edited by raingirl; August 20th, 2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
I will pay for it (plus I send home made treats in return, just ask Prin).
VERY tasty doggy treats. I highly recommend them.
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
-

I will check with him to find out. Did you treat the underside of each leaf with the safers(insecticidal soap). He did say that it was very common with some plants.

I have no idea if this would work or harm them, just an idea. What if you removed all their soil(transplant) in case these bugs are in it. Set up your tob with the insecticidal soap and dip the stem and leaves. This way you won't miss any of the plant. Plant in fresh soil.