Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM

If I was to get another dog.....

So I must be nuts, but I am going out the Cochrane this afternoon. www.cochranehumane.com IF, if, if I was to get another dog, should I get a male or a female??? Does it matter?? Lindy is not dominant by any stretch of the imagination, she loves to play, she is not possessive of her belongings. She plays well with other dogs. I am afraid that if I get a dominant dog that she will waste away into wussville. Or, she will become too assertive. Ack!! I must be crazy

Last edited by White Wolf; August 14th, 2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: made the link work :)
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

You might want to consider a male.

My older male spaniel mix never seemed to have any dominance issues either. But since the introduction of a young male boxer, he is displaying some rather startling behaviours. Well, not really startling, just unexpected and unexceptable. Ie: we are suddenly dealing with food aggression, resource guarding and other petty squabbles.
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Has Lindy had other dogs over to play at your house or has she enjoyed the company of dogs outside of her home environment? My Eskimo is Mr. Congeniality in controlled circumstances - not sure how he would take it if one of his friends from socialization came to the house though. Am thinking of trying it out. I have serious doubts though. He is not an Alpha or Omega but is insecure due to treatment prior to our adopting him. Would also go with dog of opposite sex.
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Usually females will try to be dominant, so two females usually isn't a good idea. I think a male would be better. for instance we got Candi who is 12lbs and we already have BJ who is 54lbs, we thought for sure BJ would be dominant. He's bigger, he was here first, and he's older, but that isn't what happend, Candi is very dominant over him and isn't afraid to let him know it. Luckly he is a submissive dog and just lets her boss him around with no problems, though we don't leave them alone together because he could snap her neck by accident just by discipling her.

Now at work there is one other female dog. Candi and her usually get along but there are squabbles every once in a while. Candi is dominant over her as well and has no reservations about disciplining her. But because the other dog is a pom they are about the same size. We keep a very close eye on them. But I would have to say if I get another dog it can not be a female because of Candi's need to be dominant.

Sorry so long. basically all I really ment was that a male would be best. less likely for there to be dominance issues because they won't feel as threatened.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old August 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM

She plays great with other dogs. We have had a few dogs come over in the back yard and she has had a great romp with them, shares water dish, shares toys. We didn't have any luck in Cochrane. Oh well, must not be the right time yet. But we did go for a long walk down by the river, had a splash, sniffed some butts....what a life
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
owned by Tucker

Oh lucky you, I wish I could get another dog. I have known people that have had two females, but I have heard that male and female get along better. Send pics if you get one.
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM

I would get a submissive male. They would have the most fun because they would be closer to equal. Even if she is submissive, I think it is a harder dynamic to work with when the male is the dominant one. Females are typically less umm... flexible (?) than males are and I don't know how a dominant male would react to a female pms day...

In my opinion, the best dynamic is a female being dominant over a submissive male.. JMO
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
So I must be nuts, but I am going out the Cochrane this afternoon.
HTML Code:
www.cochranehumane.com
IF, if, if I was to get another dog, should I get a male or a female??? Does it matter?? Lindy is not dominant by any stretch of the imagination, she loves to play, she is not possessive of her belongings. She plays well with other dogs. I am afraid that if I get a dominant dog that she will waste away into wussville. Or, she will become too assertive. Ack!! I must be crazy

Just got back from there and have to tell you that there are so many sweethearts there! I wanted to bring them all home. Ariel and Venus are both girls there and both really gentle, submissive sweet souls.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Yes!! Ariel and Venus just had puppies, I think that those where Venus' puppies that were all spoken for. Ariel's puppies are coming in next week. I felt for Radar too, he has been there for so long!!!
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Freyja]Yes!! Ariel and Venus just had puppies, I think that those where Venus' puppies that were all spoken for. Ariel's puppies are coming in next week. I felt for Radar too, he has been there for so long!!![/QUOTE

Freeway is definetly spoken for lol. Actually I've been having nightmares that they will give him away to someone else by accident. Silly to be worried about things that won't happen. Actually they are really nice there...seems like a great place.

If you want a puppy get there the moment they get them in! All of Venus' puppies were spoken for in about 2 hours of arrival. They came in at 12 pm, I drove there and got to Cochrane by 1 PM and 3 were already spoken for. The last one was put on hold by a nice family that came shortly after me.

Was Radar right next to Ariel and Venus? How long has he been there? I think it was also Fern that I wanted to take home...there was a really sweet dog just across from the puppies but I think she is on hold.

Last edited by puppy4ever; August 14th, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Why not a mature dog?

I agree with getting a male!
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:48 AM

All this talk of getting another dog from Cochrane makes me want to go back and get another one!

Poor Radar, I hope he finds his forever home soon.

Post pics if you find a new dog, and we will have to meet up again for a run!

Sarah
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Animal Lover

I agree. Having a sweet little puppy is nice, but can also be alot of work. I adopted my dog Max from the SPCA when he was 1 1/2 yrs old. He was a great dog. We recently adopted Cookie (Sadie's sister) who was 18 mths old and I have to tell you, she is fantastic. Personally, puppies are nice, but I prefer an older dog. I also have another female lab/spaniel mix who is 10 yrs now. She got along well with our Max (male) and was the dominant one with him. She gets along well with Cookie (female) but it is now Cookie who is the dominant one. But they play very well together and share nicely (food included). I really think it all depends on the nature of the dog. Good luck!
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, I want Balou!!! He is sooooooo sweet!!!! Big cuddly bear!!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I agree with having a male and a female - although we've had two females at a time with no problems as well. One of the females was quite a bit older and the other was fairly submissive. When the old girl died, we got a puppy about 18 months later and the other female was submissive to the pup as well.

Right now we have a female newf (6 months old). My son has a 8 month old male newf and he is really submissive to our female. She decides when he can get a drink even (Poor Parker)! Anyway, my son just adopted a young SharPei female. Although Parker is submissive to the SharPei as well as Hazel, I have noticed that Lexi (the SharPei) and Hazel don't get along as well as they could. That might change as they get older, but I think that Lexi wants to be dominant and Hazel doesn't like that. It's probably a good thing that they don't live together!
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Cochrane site

OMG I had to take a peek at the Cochrane website and see all these dogs you guys are talking about. Radar has the exact same face as my Shadow does - very penetrating, serious eyes. Shadow has a bit more grey in her face now (she's almost 8) but she's an Akita Blue Heeler cross - same face. Almost spooky!!! And Balou, a newf, what is a newf doing there? I can't look at these sites I want them all! On the topic though Shadow is a very dominant type female and when we brought in a new pup from the SPCA we took her with us to meet the puppies and we brought in an 8 week old female lab x (Halo). While Shadow is the dominant dog in the house, Halo is the bossy dog and Shadow almost always lets her have her way. Very interesting dynamic going on with them. But the two females worked fine for us.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I think Balou is gone, adopted I mean. The site is run by volunteers so it is not always current. Fern got adopted, she is just waiting for her spay apointment then her new family can pick her up. Radar is about 4 years old and is lovely, he is a bit rambunctious but apparantly really nice. Yes, I most certainly want a mature dog, no puppies for me thanks. However, Cochrane gets in puppies all the time, usually they are the puppies of the dogs they have rescued.