Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Peanut's Avatar
Peanut Peanut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40
Question What would you do?

I've posted a few times about my cat and her diagnosis of calcium oxalate kidney stones. I've just got off the phone with yet another vet and he says that there is absolutely no way that Misti will be able to pass the stones at all.

He says that they would have to be surgically removed, however he knows of no vet that will perform the surgery. Further to that he (and other vets) have told me that surgery can lead to major tissue damage and could possibly 'put the kidneys over the top' He also says that she can live quite well with them as long as they don't begin to move.

I feel really sad at the thought that my girl might have to endure such pain if they do move so regardless I am still looking into finding someone in Ontario that will either perform surgery or lithotripsy.


So here comes the big question:

If the risks for surgery were great, i.e. kidney failure, would you go ahead and have surgery done? Or would you try to do your best with alternative medicines to help control the stones? If you were in my shoes what would you do???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Chany's Avatar
Chany Chany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 447
Hi Peanut, The only advice I have is I lived myself with gallstones for 4 years and just watched what I ate. Doctors finally removed it because they were scared of damage maybe happening to my liver otherwise I was doing okay living like that. If no vet will do it for you, then you're pretty limited to what your options are. Is there pain medication you can give Her(?) sorry can't remember) when you notice that they may be moving?? Diet seems to be your only option so far!! Sorry it must be very frustrating for you
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Peanut's Avatar
Peanut Peanut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40
Chany.. I'm just hoping in the off chance that the teaching hospital at Guelph University may be able to point me in the direction of someone that would perform surgery.


So lets here it, what would you guys do if your pet was faced with something similar to this...would you help them live through it or would you put them through surgery??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Chany's Avatar
Chany Chany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 447
Hey Peanut, I guess it would depend on how much the surgery is, the complications, the outcome of her life after. If the surgery will fix everything and her life will be better for it then yes definitely the surgery. If its an unbelievable amount for the surgery and risks are too great I probably would try 1 or 2 alternate methods first. Is she suffering terribly?? And a diet change won't help?? What are your alternatives?? Or has no vet been able to give you any? I'm sure someone here will have some other better advice. Best of Luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Peanut's Avatar
Peanut Peanut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40
Well they say that after surgery she may have a difficult time recovering, and that there is a great possibility she may suffer kidney failure.

She does not appear to be in any pain right now, she's back to her usual self, except she is slightly more affectionate now. She's eating and drinking, playing, purring, greeting me at the door every day when I get home from work....meowing her little head off. She's normal for now. I just worry that she will get back to the state she was in 3 weeks ago, sleeping all of the time, looking so sad, not eating or drinking and in pain.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Chany's Avatar
Chany Chany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 447
If she's not suffering and she might have kidney failure from surgery then I'd put that off until I found some differnet ideas to try. I know its hard but have patience someone will come on line with helpful advice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:19 PM
amaruq's Avatar
amaruq amaruq is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 743
HMMMM How old is the cat (you might have said but I forgot).

If the cat was older 10 yrs or so. I would not have the surgery as it maybe tough on them. But a young cat i would definately do whatever I could to help them.

Are the stones in the kidney? (I take it they are)...Is there a vet school somewhere around you? Give them a call?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Peanut's Avatar
Peanut Peanut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40
amaruq,

She's 13 years old and they are in the kidney. I've contacted Guelph University's Veterinary Studies Dept. So far that is the only vets school I know of in Ontario...

Thanks for your input... I'm sort of on the fence about her being an older cat versus the risk of surgery, but every vet that has seen her remarks about how very healthy she is for her age.

Sigh, what to do?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Luba's Avatar
Luba Luba is offline
Sadie's Chefomatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,303
There's a 24 hr veterinary emergency clinic in Toronto that has referrals to specialists from vets

Here is the number

416 920 2002
__________________
Cats only have nine lives because they stole them from dogs!Teehee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Chany's Avatar
Chany Chany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 447
How are you doing Peanut? Did you find out anything new yet from the vet or specialist Luba hooked you with?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Peanut's Avatar
Peanut Peanut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40
Hey Chany,

I tried to reply to this before but the board was a bit wonky.

So far I haven't contacted the vet referal service that Luba gave me but I will. I'm waiting to hear back from Guelph U, but in the mean time my girl seems to be doing okay.

Thanks for asking:-) I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.