Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM

Switching dog food

With all the recent threads on the different brands of dog food and which ones were the best, I started to think. Currently my dog is on Eukanuba Restricted Calorie dry food, when I saw the label I didn't like what I saw and want to switch her to a much better quality dry food.

Here's my question. She used to be overweight, hence the reason why the vet recommended she go on the Eukanuba Restricted Calorie diet. She is now at her optimum weight. When I switch her food, do I use the lite formula or do I buy the senior formula because she will be 9 yrs old this coming June?

I was on several different websites and spoke to someone at one of the pet stores who advised me that the top foods in order are: Nutrience, Wellness, Nutro and Science Diet.

I was just wondering if anybody had any advice to offer me as to which would be better for my dog and if I should continue with the diet stuff or go for senior. Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM

I disagree with your list. I would say Wellness, Solid Gold, Innova, Merrick, Timber Wolf Organics among many others are the best on the list.

Personally I don't believe in Diet food, I would rather feed a bit less and exercise a bit more. As for senior food, I think it depends how active your dog is. People are saying to put dogs as young as 5 on senior food, and to be honest I have never had a dog that was put on it. I just don't think it is beneficial for the dog. They say older dogs need less calcium and less protein, I'm no doctor but I don't agree.

It all depends on what food your dog does best on, and that might take a bit of trial and error.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Are those Canadian Brands?

Prin: Are those brands Canadian brands? There is a few on the list that I've never heard of. Of course, I am in the boondocks, so maybe we can't get them here

As for the original question, although I have used diet food on my Corgi (Science Diet) I have never used senior food on any of my dogs. They've always just gotten whatever adult food they'd always eaten.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM

While doing my research on the various websites, I have to agree on the wellness. That is the one that I'm pretty much thinking of switching her to.

About exercising more, she is a pretty active dog as it is. The problem is that she has osteoarthritis of the hip and knees. She has already had knee surgery to repair her anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments on one of her legs (she was 4 when she tore them). Her exercise has to be carefully monitored because she will push herself to the limit and then she will begin to limp. We are afraid of having her hurt herself.

Would you recommend then that I just use the regular and skip on the lite and senior stuff? We are very vigilant about watching her weight. If we notice that she is putting on a bit, we cut back on her treats. Thanks again.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM

I would say regular. But some people may not agree. You didn't like the Solid Gold? Or the Merrick? (merrick is a bit expensive)

As for Canadian or not, I think the only Canadian brand I listed was TimberWolf Organics. They're in BC. The rest are American.

Here I'll make it easier (they're all on my favorites because I wasn't sure if Solid Gold would work out).

TimberWolf organics
Wellness
Merrick
Solid Gold
Innova
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM

Sorry I should have clarified that from the list I had originally posted I liked the Wellness better. I'm still doing more research because I believe that my baby deserves the best!

Thanks for the websites, I will definitely be researching the ones that you recommended. I have some time because I recently bought her a new bag and will only start to gradually switch her over when the bag starts to run low.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:11 PM

When switching to a higher qualilty food, you have to do it really slowly. The digestion is so different (commercial foods have digestive aids in there). I'd take at least 10 days to do the switch. Their stools will also be funny for a month or two (very smelly and often loose) while they adjust, so don't worry..
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks Prin for the advice. When I switch her food I want to make it as easy a transition as possible for her. I know I won't have any problem with her liking the food I give her because she will eat anything! I will definitely do it gradually as to not upset her system too much. Thanks!
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Owned by goldens

Switching dog food

One thing I have learned is to not listen to the people who work in the pet food supply store. LOL They will always push their particular brand of foods.
Prin mentioned some good foods. Granted they will be more expensive but worth it in the long run.
I would avoid foods for weight loss. Instead feed less and supplement with carrots and other vegetables and fruit.

In addition to Prin's list you can look for
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance
Royal Canin, Natural Blend
Nutro foods
While the quality may not be the same as Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova etc... they are good quality foods and easier to find in stores.