Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Just get kittens for a depressed older cat - Do you agree?

Hi members,

Saw this over the weekend and I was just curious what other members think?

Q: My 17-year-old cat is now alone for the first time in over 14 years. I adopted three cats from our local humane society, and he was the middle cat. The other two cats have now passed away, and Hunter appears lonely. At first, he didn’t seem to care that the other cats were gone, but now he seems bothered, although he continues to eat well and sometimes does play. Any advice? – M.C., Eagan, Minn.

A: “I’m very sorry to hear about your two cats,” says Vancouver, Canada-based feline veterinarian Dr. Margie Scherk, editor of Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. “First, see your veterinarian to ensure there is no medical explanation – and at 17 years, the reality is that it’s a distinct possibility.”

Scherk continues, “Once you rule that out, find something your old cat can interact with. Try an iPad.” Scherk isn’t suggesting that your cat learn accounting software or send email, but there are apps available with games specifically for cats. Playing a few games a day might be enough to replace your cat’s interaction with his friends.

If this plan fails, consider adopting two kittens. In general, kittens are easier for older cats to accept because they’re less threatening than adult cats. However, all that energy can be annoying to an old-timer. That’s the theory behind getting two kittens; they can play with one another and not pester the 17-year-old. However, they would associate with the older cat, providing companionship.

Source:http://www.buffalonews.com/life-arts...onely-20140307
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM

I could see going both ways, getting kittens and not getting them. If it was my house, I would let the very old cat have whats left of his time be quiet time, without the anxiety of little ones bothering him.
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I could see going both ways, getting kittens and not getting them. If it was my house, I would let the very old cat have whats left of his time be quiet time, without the anxiety of little ones bothering him.
Me too. My 17 year old would probably try to kill them. But my last cat was 20.5 years old and I know of several older ones so there might be a lot of quiet time. It might work, it might not. And if it doesn't work what are you going to do with the kittens? Tough call.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I agree with you , I feel the older cat should be able to spend it remaining days sleeping in peace and not some kittens wanting to play with him. I really doubt that cat is lonely when it's sleeping most of the day .
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Of all the Vets on the face of the Earth who could have been asked this question.............Margie Scherk should have been the last on the list !

She's been away from front-line healthcare for years and now spends her time shilling for Metacam........

Craziness ! (as is her recommendation !)