Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Looking for advice for new cat

We lost our cat in August to a urinary blockage. He was only six years old. I have heard of crystals in the urine in male cats but have never known anyone that has had it happen to them, until it happened to our cat. We are thinking of getting a new cat as our dog is missing her brother terribly. I'm a little leary about getting another male cat since these blockages happen almost exclusively in males. Am I being paranoid? Looking at a snowshoe cat but don't know anything about them. Our cat that passed was a dsh tuxedo cat. Just looking for some advice on what sex cat, breed, etc. might be a good choice. Want a cat that will of course like the dog. Any advice would be appreciated. Also would a kitten or older cat be a better choice to get along with the dog. Our cat was four when our dog came to us as a little baby.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
Am I being paranoid?
Sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty.

Unfortunately urinary tract issues, particularly crystal formation and blockages, are very common in cats these days, and most of the time it's because of what they're being fed. Dry food, in particular. So whatever cat you decide on, my number one suggestion would be to read this article and feed a wet food diet (even raw, if you feel up to it): http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

As for what age cat would be best for getting along with your dog, I'd suggest checking out some rescue organizations and seeing if they have an adult in a foster home situation where they already know whether s/he likes dogs or not. Doing proper introductions will also help: http://www.paws.org/introducing-cat-to-dog.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to suggest the same thing , check out some shelters and see if they have any cats that lived with a dog up for adoption.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Willing cat servant

There is no better breed than the one you can rescue either on your own or through a shelter (in your particular case that would be a good idea since you need a dog friendly kitty cat)