Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Eddie110 Eddie110 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3
Jack Russell with Nasal Discharge for several months

In January 2013, Eddie was diagnosed with bronchitis and given Baytril. Another antibiotic was added near the end of the first course of Baytril and then a second course of Baytril. Bronchitis is gone. Since February Eddie has had thick white/yellow/green discharge from both nostrils. He reverse sneezes until he almost falls over. A course of Clavamox 3/4 of 125 mg tablet for 14 days and no improvement. Vet suggested we culture for the best antibiotic. I don't remember the name of the bacteria, but it was familiar. So another course of Clavamox - based on his weight, maybe we should do 1 1/2 of 125 mg tablets. We are now into the second week and Eddie is no better. I have begun to use saline to rinse his nose, which helps and thins the "rubber cement" discharge.

The vet now wants to do a dental as this could be related to an abcess. While not impossible, it seems unlikely since both sides of the nose are affected and he does not seem to have any problem with his teeth. Or it could be a foreign object - in both nostrils? Or a tumor - with no blood at all? Maybe a CT scan for $650.00 We have spent $900.00 so far and now another $700 to 900 has been proposed for the dental and radiograph.

Side note: two years ago Eddie developed a muscle wasting disease after a second dose of Advantix for fleas. Vet says it was not the Advantix. $1000.00 and the Oregon State University Veternary Hospital later and one course of prednisone seemed to stop the disease. I am beginning to feel like we look like $$ signs when we go near the vet.
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Digston Digston is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The place I call home
Posts: 182
Do you recall whether there was an antibiotic resistance test done at the same time as the culture? Antibiotic resistance could be a possibility.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,247
How was your dog diagnosed for bronchitis , did the vet give your dog any
x rays? My dog Marty had bronchitis and his nose did not have any nasal discharge. The vet gave him a x ray to see why he had a bad cough. If your dog had no x rays maybe you should ask for it to have one.
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:33 AM
MaxaLisa MaxaLisa is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California, usa
Posts: 1,046
I might consider a second opinion if you haven't already recieved one, perhaps a consult with an internal medicine vet.

Did you get a copy of the culture report?
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Eddie110 Eddie110 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3

1. No antibiotic resistance test has been done. However the Baytril obviously worked.
2. Eddie had three chest x-rays to diagnose the bronchitis.
3. I did not receive a culture report. I can request one. The bacteria name was familiar.

A second opinion was kind of where I was going. The saline rinse seems to be helping a lot, and he will finish the Clavamox today. I may wait and see if we have done enough.

Unfortunately in this economy where I have lost two of my three jobs, finances are a bit tight and we have spent several mortgage payments already.

Thank you all for your concerns and suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Eddie110 Eddie110 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3
Nearly a year of snot

Well here we are nearly a year later.

Eddie still has nasal discharge, reverse sneezing and no end in sight. I have read everything I can find.

Turned out Eddie was allergic to the Clavamox when the vet actually gave him a dose that was "better suited" to his weight. Into the third "course" of Clavamox, I noticed hives. Eddie was allergic. So we stopped the Clavamox.

Consulted with an Internal Medicine vet. Since I could barely afford the visit, we did not do diagnostics. She was certain that it was rhinitis and treated him with Zithromax and an anti-inflammitory from the compounding pharmacy. These drugs are supposed to work in tandom. Yep three courses of those with no noticible results. She refused to treat Eddie further until we agreed to "only" $1800.00 for a rhinoscopy - which could be inconclusive.

Back to his regular Vet who agreed to try a course of Prednizone to see if he improved. Not really.

Actually all the medications, after the Baytril for bronchitis, have not helped- except to clear up infection. His discharge is white now.

I am looking for work, unemployment has run out and as much as I would like to "diagnose" Eddie's nasal issue, I simply don't have the funds.

So for now, I put saline drops in his nose about 5 - 10 times per day to keep the snot thin enough for him to sneeze out or cough up. Most of the day he sleeps and seems comfortable but any excitement causes sneezing. Of course night is the worst. His nose rattles and snuffs and snots and he is miserable.

Oh well, until I find that six figure job, saline is cheap. Eddie is uncomfortable and who needs sleep.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and concern.
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Cariboo2 Cariboo2 is offline
Frenchy's mom
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Butte, BC
Posts: 9
Your Eddie & saline drops

Sorry you and Eddie are having trouble. We have a senior JR named Snickers. She's only 9, but has arthritis from earlier injuries and she's always had an allergy to UV so her eyes get inflamed from sun exposure. They have such great personalities, don't they?

Meanwhile, our other dog has one very stuffed up nostril and I was interested to hear that you gave Eddie some relief with saline drops. I'd like to try them for Frenchy. Do you just use a dropper and drop the saline in his nostrils?

We're kind of in the same boat, that we can't afford money for diagnostics and we don't want him under anesthetic either. I'm trying alternative remedies hoping his nasal discharge clears up,because his appetite is still good and otherwise he seems happy.
Reply With Quote

bacteria, clavamox, discharge, nasal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.