Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Excitement Urination

Ok, so Guero has been a bit of challenge with the house training part, but its ok, I just remember my self to be patient with him... it has really only been a couple accidents in the last couple weeks, so I think slowly but surely he will get there.

However... when people come to the house, its a different story. I know most pups will twinkle a bit when they see visitors, Bestia for example used to do it, now he does ok, there is only one girl friend of mine that he pees with, and that is just because he is crazy about her, we call her his "girlfriend"; and he knows who that is when ever I say your girlfriend is coming so cute.

Anyways, Guero on the other hand, is a different story... he used to pee when I would come into the house, but that has now stopped, I just talk softly and don't make a big deal out of seeing him and take him outside right away and that has worked. So when people come over I tell them to not touch him or anything, just let him sniff and such, but it doesn't work the moment anyone makes any kind of contact with him he pees, not a little pee, a whole lot of pee... so we take him out, he finishes, comes back in, people touch him, and off he goes again with pee! obviously not as much, but still he pees. So then people just don't want to touch him again anymore.

Also, when people are coming over, we always take him out shortly before they get there so his bladder is empty, but he still finds some to let out.

Yesterday for example, we picked up my niece and nephew who are coming to spend the weekend with us, we were outside, so they could meet him and touch him. Then we went to the house, did our stuff, blah blah blah... my niece touches his head while I was holding him, he pees on me... took him outside, came back in, he did his own thing, I picked him up to go to the bedroom, my niece touches him again, he pees on me again...

Is there anything I can do to help him out with his excitement peeing process? I love taking my dogs everywhere with me when possible, but with this little issue, is hard to take Guero places right now...

Or is this one of those, suck it up and wait till it passes, kinda thing?

I have had dogs since I was a kid, but before Bestia I didn't have a puppy for about 8 years, and well even before then my previous girl was already grown so I cannot remember what it was like with the puppies we had when I was young...er. So any tips are good.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Most pups will outgrown this stage, but maybe not until they are a little more mature.

The answer is in the description - 'Excitement' Pee. The energy you need to reward in all things is calmness. Do not discipline the pup for the peeing - it is an involuntary response to energy. The more you expose this puppy to "calmness wins all things" the easier it will be for her to overcome it. Do not increase your energy when you greet the pup or when you leave. Get the pup used to being held (if she is little enough), touched, & stroked calmly.

You should practice coming and going and ignoring her through it all - can't even look at her. Come and go until she is bored with it, then add a new person and do it again. ONLY greet her if she is calm and make it brief. Then repeat to lock it in. Practice is so important to all things you want to teach her. The problem is when people randomly enter the house, she gets excited, the people are typically excited to see the pup, then we have excitement pee and failure. This is what the pup remembers.

It is very helpful to start teaching the puppy 'leave it', and to 'wait' at doorways, before each meal, with things you randomly drop in front of the pup. This helps the puppy learn impulse control so when she needs impulse control as people enter the house she will have.

It can also be helpful to teach the pup to 'stop' about 1-2 feet from the person and 'sit' to greet. This gives her a job to do and gives her mind something to work on other than excitement.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended