Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

To bury or not bury

We had our beloved kitty cremated and both of us (my husband and myself) want to put his ashes in an urn. We decided that we can not bury him. Just does not feel right. How many of you have buried your pet's ashes or what did you do with them?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Ours are all buried. Only my beloved Twitchie, who was PTS in winter when the ground was frozen, was cremated and her ashes, in their urn, are buried too.

Funny, I was thinking of this last night. After 57 years in her house my Mum has sold it and moved to an assisted living facility. There's a regular little pet cemetary in the back. But all signs of pets have likely assimilated with the soil by now. We have our precious memories of them in our hearts and souls and Teddy and Tommy, Tabby, Fluff and Puff, another Tommy, Tacky and Sam are safe there forever. I thought it might upset me when the house was sold but not really. Instead I am rather enjoying the memories thus prompted.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM

I won't be burying any of our animals' ashes. I will want to keep them with me
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I still have Shadow's ashes with us. I just haven't had the heart or desire to bury them yet, although it is the plan. I have a lovely marker with her name and profile made up. I figure when the time is right I'll know it in my heart.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I bury all our dogs and cats here in the end of our orchard we call the Angel Garden. When I die I'd like to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in there also, so I hope my sister outlives me and does that for me.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I bury all our dogs and cats here in the end of our orchard we call the Angel Garden. When I die I'd like to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in there also, so I hope my sister outlives me and does that for me.
That is great idea. Then you can be with your pets forever. And you should put that in your will so in case she does not live longer than you it does happen.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:09 PM

I have a fairly large rural lot so I bury my pooches and invite family and neighbours over to say some words over the grave. We generally have a "wake" which is very helpful for yours truly! It gives me a chance to bring out my guitar and sing every dog song I know

One thing to keep in mind is to dig down over a metre in depth and well away from ground water sources or well heads. This is quite a job for me in that I live on top of the Niagara Escarpment and the soil is full of limestone and granite.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I told my daughter I wanted to be cremated and have my dogs ashes and mines to be mixed together and bring our ashes to my dog favorite park and throw the ashes toward the water. My hearing dog was cremated , if Marty dies before me he will be cremated too and his ashes will be put with our ashes .
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM

When our little scottie died sixteen years ago we had her cremated with the intent of scattering her ashes at our old cottage. But once we brought her back into the house we couldn't bring ourselves to do it. I think if we had picked her up from the vet and driven directly to the cottage and scattered them there, it would have been okay. But once she was home, that's where she was staying!
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

When we had Rudy and Delaney cremated - after 1 month we scattered the ashes in their lot - in the places they both loved to either sit or run. It was a nice, but teary celebration when we let their ashes go free.

We have the little urns on our bookshelf. I never wanted to keep their ashes in the urns. It is kind of like they are out there still, a bit over 2 years for Rudy, and almost 2 years for Delaney.

Diane
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

About 10 yrs ago, my dad commisioned an artist in the states to do an oil painting of our beautiful Thorin. It's one of the best, (and definitely most thoughtful) gifts I have ever received.

The portrait hangs over the fireplace with his ashes under it

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012