Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 26th, 2012, 03:47 AM
banned user

Red face Zorba and Harley my boys

I have to handsome males I love deeply Dogs. Now here it is I almost put one of my boys down. The day would have been October 24, I decided to do an experiment as he was haven constant pooing issues. Someone from this site puts pull ups on their elderly dog so I did the same. This is what I have discovered and now am no longer going to give it to him. I was giving him fish oil in gel caplet form this had been causing him to poo no matter what. At first I tried not feeding him to much but that did not work. This fish oil acted like a laxative for himm even though his stools were hard everything he ate just went thru is intestine. So NO longer am I going to give him these as this upsets him greatly because he does not understand how come I am pooing, thankfully he had on pull ups and thankfully mommy discovered the issue. I decided two day ago that I would not put him down because all of us who have a pet understands their body language and when they talk to us with their eyes and he kept on saying to me mommy I am not ready and thank G-d I listened to him. I love my boys more than any human on this planet
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear you have discovered the cause of your concern. Hope Harley continues to improve now that you have made this change. Is it possible you were giving him too much?
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hurray! Glad you found the problem! Yes, fish oil can cause soft stools in dogs. Some dogs just don't tolerate it well. If he seemed to benefit from it otherwise--for example, it kept his coat soft and shiny--you can try a lower dose. Many of those gel caps can be poked with a pin so you can just squirt out a half-dose of the oil over food. It's easy enough to just stop the oil again altogether if the symptoms repeat.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Willing cat servant

I'm happy for you and even more for your doggie ♥
Plus, experiences like yours add valuable information to the forums for us to check on in case of need.